Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 14:17   #1

How Do You Make Your Cockpit 'Comfy' ?

just wondering how you guys make your bare bone cockpit comfortable.

I will add cusions but what I really would like to know is how to do a back rest.
last week I was at the theatre and above me a nice 3in brass railing that run thruout the theatre. my gilfriend was whatching the show but all I cauld do was picture this railing aronde my cockpit nicely fitted right under my arm pits so that I can lean and rest against it. I cauld also make it run higher and built a canvas tent to shade from the sun a little?
my fist idea was a simple well placed wood plank.

ps. dont ask about the show (dont have a clue)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 051.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	20498  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:09   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Start with the cushions then find where your fave steering position will be, then improvise for the spot - you can also raise the coaming - it is pretty low on your boat.

If planning to sail offshore for anything more than a daysail, I would add some sort of canvas around the cockpit and a sprayhood too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Start with the cushions then find where your fave steering position will be, then improvise for the spot - you can also raise the coaming - it is pretty low on your boat.

If planning to sail offshore for anything more than a daysail, I would add some sort of canvas around the cockpit and a sprayhood too.

b.
the wheel is to be remouved in favor of a tiller, favorit sitting position (dang) will only know next year.
have not sailed her yet but Asia (mollucan sea) is the plan for the next decade.
Old 25-10-2010, 17:33   #4

besides 1" thick cushions I put a set of bean bag chairs to longe around on .And I can throw em down in the berth too. good for reading and reclining
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:37   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
+ 1 on the beanbag chairs. they make watches great....the huge plus is that you can have your seating surface on any slant you want so you can be really comfortable no matter your angle of heel.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:37   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Install one of these in the cockpit...no not the dog silly!

But seriously...probably the dumbest thing about cockpits is straight sided back rests...if you really want to be comfy modify them to slope at a less then kidney killing angel and height....I see you have very low combings to begin with so you have an open canvas to start with....just be aware of cockpit drains volume and all that jazz.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Sweety=1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	20503  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Install one of these in the cockpit...no not the dog silly!

But seriously...probably the dumbest thing about cockpits is straight sided back rests...if you really want to be comfy modify them to slope at a less then kidney killing angel and height....I see you have very low combings to begin with so you have an open canvas to start with....just be aware of cockpit drains volume and all that jazz.

a 2in drain will be in place of wheele post, to lazy to patch the hole
I understand what your saying, however its hard to calculate angle without sailing the boat, the bean seat will be my first step.
Old 25-10-2010, 17:52   #8

We run this setup, and it works for us.

Two of these. We position them on the cockpit, and they work well for using on land on the beach or whatever. Often it's nice to have some seats you can use. Good back rests for sitting facing forward. Amazon.com: Crazy Creek Original Chair: Patio, Lawn & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more

Two of these. They are expensive as hell, but they're fenders so they're tough as nails. We use them for kneeling pads for working, lash one to the boom when anchored to keep from smashing our heads into the wood, and they make excellent back rests. We have two that are maybe 20" by 30" and cost ~$40 a piece:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Modular Flat Boat Fender (36" x 12" x 3"): Sports & Outdoors

Two of these. These don't last that long (maybe a year under normal use) but they're good to have in the cockpit anyway as a safety feature, and they make good seats. Basically we either sit one of these with a fender as a backrest, or the camp chair things:

Amazon.com: Life Jacket / PFD: Type IV Throwable Cushion: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more

What we like about our setup is that we can clear the cockpit quickly, move stuff under the dodger to get it out of the rain, and adjust everything to however we're sailing. Our cockpit is teak so it's not quite as uncomfortable as fiberglass but only barely. Full sized cushions in the cockpit were always a nuisance to me and got underfoot, filthy, and skidded around everywhere.

Plus you need knee pads for working on the boat anyway (the fenders), type IV throwables for safety, and chairs for beach/land use. So in classic boat form our "cockpit cushions" serve multiple purposes.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:00   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
a 2in drain will be in place of wheele post, to lazy to patch the hole
I understand what your saying, however its hard to calculate angle without sailing the boat, the bean seat will be my first step.
Not really...sit in your boat place both feet on the edge of the bench on the opposite side and lean back a bit...this will be your sailing position with a tiller 90% of the time.

Personally I don't see the bean bag working all that well at a heal ( not that Iv tried it) ...unless its somehow attached to the bench itself...every time you stood up...there on the sole it goes and under foot...I don't sail with cushions at all unless its a very mild breeze....they just get wet and increase chances of tripping when jumping in and out of the cockpit anyway.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:08   #10

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
I've found that a bottle of Pusser's, limes and soda make any cockpit as cozy as can be... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We run this setup, and it works for us.

Two of these. We position them on the cockpit, and they work well for using on land on the beach or whatever. Often it's nice to have some seats you can use. Good back rests for sitting facing forward. Amazon.com: Crazy Creek Original Chair: Patio, Lawn & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more

Two of these. They are expensive as hell, but they're fenders so they're tough as nails. We use them for kneeling pads for working, lash one to the boom when anchored to keep from smashing our heads into the wood, and they make excellent back rests. We have two that are maybe 20" by 30" and cost ~$40 a piece:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Modular Flat Boat Fender (36" x 12" x 3"): Sports & Outdoors

Two of these. These don't last that long (maybe a year under normal use) but they're good to have in the cockpit anyway as a safety feature, and they make good seats. Basically we either sit one of these with a fender as a backrest, or the camp chair things:

Amazon.com: Life Jacket / PFD: Type IV Throwable Cushion: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more

What we like about our setup is that we can clear the cockpit quickly, move stuff under the dodger to get it out of the rain, and adjust everything to however we're sailing. Our cockpit is teak so it's not quite as uncomfortable as fiberglass but only barely. Full sized cushions in the cockpit were always a nuisance to me and got underfoot, filthy, and skidded around everywhere.

Plus you need knee pads for working on the boat anyway (the fenders), type IV throwables for safety, and chairs for beach/land use. So in classic boat form our "cockpit cushions" serve multiple purposes.
all look practical to me!!!
I agree full size cushions maybe fine for docking but not for cruising
Old 25-10-2010, 18:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've found that a bottle of Pusser's, limes and soda make any cockpit as cozy as can be... cheers, Capt Phil
I actualy use them filled with hot water for back pain or to warm my feets at night.
Old 25-10-2010, 18:57   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I built a stand up cockpit w/removable seats. One thing I hated was having to bend over a seat to crank a winch. Now I'm right there at the winch and if/when I want to sit I can pull out the seat(s) and set'm up.

I really don't like laying down in the cockpit so I don't need the long seats. But if I do, two seats together with a brace between the steps works OK.

When I'm sailing heeled over I can sit on on side and brace my feet on the other. After tacking I switch the seat to the other side or have one on each side already. I do occasionally put a cushion behind me of it's a long run.

Not everyone would like my setup but it is great for my bad back. "To each his own"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3005.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	20505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3006.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	20506  

Name:	DSCN2965.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	20507  
Old 25-10-2010, 19:06   #14

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Bimini
Cushions
Table
Candles
SUNDOWNERS. in real GLASSES. not the plastic crap
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:30   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
s sofa across the transom... with a nice foam backrest..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote