Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 18:24   #31

Boat: 1984 Merit 25
Re: how do these keel bolts and thru hulls look to you?

Sorry... While I was typing, the boat info was offered, along with more suitable replies.
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 19:07   #32

Boat: Moana 33

An insurance company would ask for evidence the keelbolts have been x-rayed or inspected before they will insure the boat. I'd tell the owner I'd look at the boat again once the essential maintenance has been attended to. His boat - he should bear the risk. As-is, it's worthless.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 20:02   #33

Boat: 41' yawl
how do these keel bolts and thru hulls look to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
An insurance company would ask for evidence the keelbolts have been x-rayed or inspected before they will insure the boat.

[emoji23]Where do you people come up with this stuff?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 21:54   #34

Nobody with any knowledge drops the keel on a Moody 425 unless the seal between the keel stub and the keel has been compromised. If the seal is good the keel bolts are simply removed. A good friend of mine did his 425 a few years ago and it took him 1 day. Every stud he pulled was in like new condition but he had the new studs in hand and decided to replace them. It's been done many times. The Moody Owners Assoc. can supply the torque settings. He needed about a 3 ft cheater bar to do the job. He said if he did it again he would be much faster.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 22:02   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Nobody with any knowledge drops the keel on a Moody 425 unless the seal between the keel stub and the keel has been compromised. If the seal is good the keel bolts are simply removed. A good friend of mine did his 425 a few years ago and it took him 1 day. Every stud he pulled was in like new condition but he had the new studs in hand and decided to replace them. It's been done many times. The Moody Owners Assoc. can supply the torque settings. He needed about a 3 ft cheater bar to do the job. He said if he did it again he would be much faster.
This implies cast iron ballast, correct? If so, the above process sounds exactly right to me. Doing one at a time allows DIY success with little worry. If good, put back, if not, replace.

If it is lead ballast, how are the studs threaded into the casting?

Jim
Old 27-02-2018, 23:42   #36

how do these keel bolts and thru hulls look to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This implies cast iron ballast, correct? If so, the above process sounds exactly right to me. Doing one at a time allows DIY success with little worry. If good, put back, if not, replace.

Jim

Totally agree with Jim!

If the keel is iron just look at the bolts and replace if necessary, if lead you should know how they are molded into the keel.

Good luck!
dayshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:15   #37

Boat: Sun Odyssey 32 & Bavaria 38

Don't know about keel bolts, seems to be lots of avice.

We bought a Bavaria 38 year 2000 in 2016, first thing I did was have all 10 through hull seacocks replaced!

They don't cost much, so better safe than sorry.
Twhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 05:18   #38

Quote:

Jim
Your absolutely correct Jim, cast iron ballast.
Old 28-02-2018, 06:05   #39

Boat: Malö 40H

so the follow up question to the shabby looking valve.. are those standard on Moodys from the era?
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:06   #40

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Assume you have a cast iron keel with threaded bolts, how can you get grip of the bolt and turn it to get it out? Do you have to weld a nut to the bolt or is there some other way to do it.
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:43   #41

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
I've had three keel boats in my life, a 20 footer with a bolt-on cast iron keel, a 30 footer with an embedded ballast, and a 40 footer with a bolt-on lead keel. All different manufacturers.

In both bolt-on keels, the ballast had through holes, countersunk on the bottom. The bolts either had heads or were threaded at each end. The cast iron (fin) keel had a flange where the bolt holes were, the lead (full/cutaway) keel just has very, very long bolts with access from the bottom.

While that experience lead me to think this is common, and that removal of individual keel bolts for inspection is trivial (you simply pick out some fairing and unbolt them by getting a wrench on each end) I'm starting to rethink that from what I read here. Sounds like its much, much more common to have J-bolts etc that are essentially impossible to remove? I guess for a lead fin keel maybe that's the simplest option?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:11   #42

Click image for larger version

Name:	keel bolt nut.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	165106

This keel bolt nut looks to have been removed at some point and clear silicone applied. You can see it curled up at the base of the nut. If accurate I couldn't tell ya the degree of importance.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:40   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recy View Post
Assume you have a cast iron keel with threaded bolts, how can you get grip of the bolt and turn it to get it out? Do you have to weld a nut to the bolt or is there some other way to do it.
Normally the stud is a bit longer and you double nut it and then use a socket with a cheater bar. In the situation you took a picture of...many times there is enough friction from the rust that the nut will stay attached and the stud will back out...If this doesn't happen and the nut comes off simply remove that heavy washer below the nut and that should be enough stud to allow you to double nut it.
Old 28-02-2018, 08:45   #44

If you are undecided, one way to lessen your risk is to make an offer that includes the current owner doing the repair before acceptance. ie: having the keel dropped and bolts replaced if necessary. Inspection by your surveyor. Getting a seller to comply with that is maybe not likely though!
The problem you have is there is no real indication it's an issue. Many old boats are going to look like that keel bolt/nut. Only dropping the keel will tell.
The same could be said of most chainplates out there. Unless they are bolted to the outside of the hull. They may be fine, or they may be about to break from hidden corrosion.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:48   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you are undecided, one way to lessen your risk is to make an offer that includes the current owner doing the repair before acceptance. ie: having the keel dropped and bolts replaced if necessary. Inspection by your surveyor. Getting a seller to comply with that is maybe not likely though!
The problem you have is there is no real indication it's an issue. Many old boats are going to look like that keel bolt/nut. Only dropping the keel will tell.
I'm curious...what would you learn by dropping the keel that you wouldn't know by inspecting the studs????

Tags
hull, keel, keel bolts, thru hull