Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 14:21   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
how do these keel bolts and thru hulls look to you?

Before shelling out the $$$ for a full survey, I was just wondering if someone might have an opinion on these pics..

My concern: these come from a boat known for wet a bilge and the keel bolts appear to be basically wet all the time. That can't be good after 30 years methinks [emoji32]

The seacocks didn't look that sharp either...

Factor in replace? no problem? walk away?

Thx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0036.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	165002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg
Views:	1051
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	165003  

crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:43   #2

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: how do these keel bolts and thru hulls look to you?

They both look to be in less than ideal condition. The through hull needs to be replaced upon purchase, and likely the rest of them, should there be more. I have no experience with bolted on keels, but from what you said I would walk away.

Hope your search goes well.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:51   #3

Boat: 41' yawl

Not sure what you can tell about the keel bolts from that shot. What are they, steel? What material is the keel?

I've removed steel keel bolts from a cast iron keel and they looked /so much/ worse than they did from the bilge. I've removed bronze keel bolts from a lead keel and they looked /so much/ better than they did from the bilge. The fact that this bolt looks a little rusty doesn't really tell you much. Maybe someone else has a better crystal ball.

That seacock looks like hell. The backing block is rotting, the seacock is just some cheap ball valve, and the hose does not look like anything I'd have below the waterline.

A proper seacock is much beefier, usually with a flange that mates with the wooden block thats sitting against the hull. That thing you've got there has no such flange and it looks like I could make a pretty serious leak with one two two good kicks.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:58   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

The backing plate looks like plywood which I wouldn't expect in a FG boat from 1988, it would be an area of concern. Keel bolts, can't really see much from the bilge, failure/corrosion prone area is hidden down inside.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 15:05   #5

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Both look pretty bad. They might need a bit of work ... or a lot. What would worry me is the lack of love. What other maintenance has not been done? I would be very careful (Elmer Fudd voice) going forward with this boat, even if the price is fantastic.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 15:16   #6

I don't see anything that is not pretty typical there on an old boat. I would feel better with proper seacocks though and old keel bolts can be a concern.The seacocks are readily done at haulout. The keel bolts may be a big job.
One thing I look for in a cruising boat is a non bolt-on keel. One less thing to do or spend money on.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 15:17   #7

It appears your keel bolts are steel which means no crevice corrosion..it's really impossible to know what sort of condition the studs are in without pulling them..which is not a big deal as they can be done one at a time on land or in the water. Remove one and if needed replace it and move on to the next one. You'll have to know the torque specs. If your going to have it surveyed then make sure your there when they pull the boat. If water comes out from the hull to keel joint it means the seal has been compromised..if that happens I'd replace the studs. They normally use mild steel and it's nothing more than threaded rod, reasonable cheap and easy to deal with. If the seal is dry with no water seeping out when it's pulled you might find the studs to be like new, no matter the rust on the top, not uncommon at all. So the keel nuts and top of studs could look really rusty but that doesn't mean the stud in the keel might not look like new.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:00   #8

Boat: Malö 40H

thanks folks.. your answers resonate with what I am thinking.. what bothers me is that the price is not a bargain. It is fair but not cheap. Overall the boat is OK but signs of lax maintenance standards etc. A new engine sweatens the deal a lot. The boat does push a couple of my hot buttons overall.. and I am looking within a narrow range of models so that there just aren't as many in the market as if I was looking for your more regular AWB...

Decisions, decisions... 🤔
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:56   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Cranky I would factor in replacement of all seacocks and all keel bolts. If everything else is at least OK then offer accordingly. If they go for it, fine. If they don't, walk!

Did you get a survey and what were the findings? If not, decide if it is the boat for you before getting one, if it is The Boat, get the survey and bargain strong with the findings.
Old 26-02-2018, 18:05   #10

Boat: Sabre 34

Keel bolts are not an easy preplacemnent, especially if it is a J/U stud incapsulated into the lead. I don't recall the OP stating what kind of bolts they are and what is the keel made out of.

If I had to guess, some surface rust is not a big deal, but the only way to know 100% is to pull the keel, or take out individual bolts at a time. First option rather expensive, second may or may not be an option.

Sometimes you have to make decisions without 100% certainty.

My .02
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 18:12   #11

If you like the boat, I wouldn't walk away for this.

Sure the seacocks need to be replaced - mostly because they weren't installed correctly to begin with (not bolted). And at 30 years, I'd drop the keel instead of just pull the bolts.

But if this expense tips the balance for you financially, you really aren't a guy who should own a 30 year old boat. There's going to be a lot more that the survey didn't find.

And before I worried about the seacocks, I'd replace that hose. It really never should have been installed below the waterline. And only one clamp. Even top quality hoses that go below the waterline should be replaced every 10 years. They typically are only warranted for five.
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 20:46   #12

Good point about the keel type..if it's lead forget everything I said...if it's iron then my advice stands.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 08:44   #13

Send a message via ICQ to LByers

I wouldn't just walk away. I would get an estimate for replacing keel bolts and through-hulls. Make an offer minus this cost, (based on his original asking price), and start the negotiation from there. If there are other items than the ones you listed consider them as well. If he gives you a flat no, then walk away.
RPBA Instructor
www.professionalyachtdelivery.com
LByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:37   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by LByers View Post
I wouldn't just walk away. I would get an estimate for replacing keel bolts and through-hulls. Make an offer minus this cost, (based on his original asking price), and start the negotiation from there. If there are other items than the ones you listed consider them as well. If he gives you a flat no, then walk away.
This is good advice! And if the deal goes through, high tail it to the nearest yard to haul the boat and get to work on those through hulls. Don't go near them with a tool until you're out of the water, as they could literally break apart - this happened to me, fortunately just minutes after the boat was out of the water.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:52   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
...The seacocks didn't look that sharp either...
That is no sea cock--it's a ball valve. Looks like you're bottom feeding.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, keel, keel bolts, thru hull