Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2014, 10:39   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: How do I Know if this Boat is Wet?

If there were places for water to get in (for instance, hairline cracks in the rudder) I would expect a boat that had been mainly dry stored to still be mainly dry. So whether it will change when you get the boat wet is anyone's guess.

You might want to look at Wally Bryant's pages on his Landfall 38 "Stella Blue" to see how extensive repairs can be, but even as a card-carrying cynic I would suspect that anyone who spends the time and effort to keep a 38' boat INDOORS 11 months of the year, is probably trying to take very good care of it.

The surveyor should be able to give you some more guesses, tell you if the engine looks sound and was winterized properly, etc. And unless the rigging was redone, it is time for new rigging, if possible before you bring the boat down. Even with light use, there's just no way to evaluate how many strain cycles are left in it and forty years is time to ante up.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 10:57   #17

You need to have it surveyed either way. It's even potentially possible that storage out of water hardens caulking etc making intrusion worse. Not saying it is but it amazes me sometimes how things like that pop up. Sounds like you might have found a gem if the core is good though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 11:36   #18

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Thanks for all the great responses everybody. We totally get that there are just as many issues that can arise from a boat being stored, as there are issues from a boat being constantly on the water. We have decided to have our own survey done (thanks for the comments on that -- it's so easy to think people are trustworthy and honest when you're going to give them a suitcase full of hundred-dollar bills) before sea trials, and as there is no engine-hour meter, we are going to have the diesel looked at too.

We do have confirmation from the boatyard where it is stored (a very reputable boatyard) that it was indeed used once a year by out-of-state owners, and when something needed to be done the owner said, "Fix it", not "How much". That being said, all systems need regular and ongoing maintenance, no matter what the use.

Appick-- after the above being said, I will take your advice and ask for any paperwork from the boatyard/marina.

LifeofReilly -- thanks for the head's up (pun intended!) on the mast. We will make sure to give that a close inspection, and also the chainplates.

HelloSailor -- I have seen Stella Blue's blog and intend to see a lot more of it in the future IF this whole thing comes together for us.

We will see whether the boat gods treat us favorably...
Old 30-04-2014, 13:23   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
Thanks, Curmudgeon, but the boat is actually in Maine, we will be bringing it to Rhody is the sale goes through.
It's your money, so do yourself a favor and get a good surveyor, wherever the boat is. Make sure the engine is in good working order, because the wind will probably be on the nose. Also carry the tools to clear your prop if you foul a lobster pot line. That means a wetsuit, and one of those portable 20 min air tanks. I think you can rent them.

It's a nice trip though. It's best to do a straight shot to the CCC and look out for whales. You'll probably see a few.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 13:42   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

It's a nice trip and the boat has excellent upwind capability, the cockpit's usually pretty dry, even when taking green water over the bow, as long as you have a dodger.
Hope all goes well with the survey.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 13:47   #21

Just another note.
They hull usually changes shape a little when stored on the hard unless stored in a custom cradle (highly unlikely) so it usually requires a few days in the water to properly tune the rig, once properly tuned they point really well and have a well balanced feel with just enough weather helm.
Mine didn't tack quite the way it should have when I first sailed it, once I got the initial mast rake correct and rig tuned in it sailed very well, with great tactile feedback.
Old 30-04-2014, 14:05   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Life of Reilly,

Great Post, your #15 above.

Ann
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15   #23

Ann T
Thanks, I really enjoyed that boat, it had the best feedback and feel to it, very responsive and a joy to sail, it was perfect for my wife and I before kids, but with the two boys it was a bit tight for extended crusing. I pulled a number of people into sailing just by letting them take the wheel when it was trimmed out nicely, to a one they all said "OK, now I get it". I know it sounds funny that a 38 would be tight but it's an IOR design with pinched ends. We've acquired a dedicated cruising boat that better fits out needs at this point and the 38 is up for sale, but I will really miss the the tactile feedback and feel that boat had.
I've driven a number of more modern racer/ cruiser designs and they were faster but just didn't have the same feel, in fact several of the more modern designs were pretty numb at the wheel and were fastest when relying on the instruments for feedback. Kind of like steering fast trucks, the 38 wasn't as fast as the newer boats but was just as rewarding. The J's I've had the opportunity to sail are probably closest, they seem to have their finger on the pulse.
C&C had a knack for designing racer/ cruisers that could fulfill both rolls nicely, I haven't had the opportunity to sail one of the more modern C&C'c but if the chance ever comes up maybe I can BS my way aboard one.
Our current boat fits our needs at this time but it sure doesn't have the same grin factor when it comes to sailing pleasure, of course my opinion may change when I'm off a distant shore in a blow, I think this one is a bit more stable, let's say it has a stately motion.