Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-02-2006, 07:50   #1

Boat: none yet
How 'bout a Nonsuch ?

Hey folks whats your take on the Hinterhoeller Nonsuch? (30',33' 36')
Hinterhoeller is a very respected builder and Mark Ellis is also a well known boat designer.
Jeff - I bet you have some strong views on these boats.
I would like to hear from anyone who has actually sailed the 30',33' or 36'. I know they look kinda different and they are like a condo down below. but a friend of mine has sailed a 33 and says they are a good performer. I know there have been issues with the masts on early models..but apparently on newer ones they have been improved.
Ease of sailing is supposed to be one of their assets. But with that huge sail I am not convinced. An electric halyard is a must I believe!
Cheers, Allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 10:52   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Nonsuch and stuff

Take a long look at the rig and tell me it is more simple and practical than a regular rig.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 11:17   #3

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Hi Allan,
I know you were looking at 30`s or bigger, I have expirience with a 26, my dad had one for 10 years. Well put together solid boat, reputable builder. My dads was a 1985, after his first season Hinterhoeller had a recall on masts and replaced the lower sections on all of them at their expense. This included a modification that called for a shroud in the foward locker that held the mast down into the step instead of relying only on gravity and wooden blocks at the partners. The boat rolled quite heavily in strong following winds so much so that the aft end of the wishbone would hit the water.Also tiring on the helm in these conditions. Taking one reef really leveled it out well and eased the helm with barely any penaty in speed. Resale values are very good. I enjoyed the boat though at my age I needed something sportier.

Allan
Drumroll
1988 C&C 30 Mk II
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 15:45   #4

Hi BC Mike!

I know what you mean about the way it's rigged! That big sail is a worry!

Here's my dilema!!!!!!
My wife needs something that is stable eg: Motion Comfort.

Also I am looking for something that can be easily handled by 1 or 2 and blue water capable!!!!...
Maybe I should go with a Cape Dory 33/36 (I know they are performers...lol) or ...Tartan.
I appreciate everyones comments.
Thanks, Allan
Old 26-02-2006, 15:54   #5

Hey they Drumroll!

Well the bit about the the Nonsuch rolloing is A BIG Problem for me. My wife hates that and there is no way there would be harmony aboard on anything that has bad motion comfort. Trust me...I have been there. Thats what is hard...there is little info out there regarding this aspect and for us this is an important part of the decision process. So I hope people out there might put in their 2 cents worth. What boat(s) would you recommend that are blue water capable , min 5' draft, are respectable perfprmers in various weather conditions, can be handled by a crew or 2 or less and don't rock & roll/slam/pitch when at sea(excluding foul weather)
Your opinion counts!
Thanks, Allan Guest
Old 26-02-2006, 19:38   #6

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Find out construction details first!

I love the whole idea of nonsuch. Although I have never sailed them.

I don't know what the common wisdom here is, but I recall knowing that their hulls are cored, and hence it would be good to stay away from the aging fleet. You are likely to be there when the problems finally surface. Or maybe I am terribly wrong, which is likely.

Boat: I would look at Passport, Caliber, Valiant (also can be cored I think). Cape Dory looks great!
If money was not an issue I would seriously look at a Hallberg Rassy. Boy do I envy you to be looking at this size boat, although I still like smaller boats.

You're right about the Nonsuch being a cottage down below. I did go on a 26, and it was cavernous!

Eugene
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 01:18   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Maybe I should go with a Cape Dory 33/36 (I know they are performers...lol) or ...Tartan.
Well, since ya asked:

Try a CSY 33:

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...t=7&thecat=500
Old 27-02-2006, 03:21   #8

Allan,
The rolling in breezy downwind situations disappears when you take in a reef. I`ve expirienced it many times on my dads boat. Shes an easy boat to reef, no need to go foward, there are two reefing lines for each reef (4 in total). Someone mentioned coring, these boats are not cored, solid glass throuhout. There is a book called Dangerous Waters by David Philpot. He sailed a Nonsuch 30 out of Owen Sound Ontario and undertook a circumnavigation. His boat was dismasted somewhere south of Australia I think. The boat was abandoned and Philpot rescued. A few months later a freighter came across it drifting in mid ocean and hauled her topsides with the ships crane. I don`t know her hull number, but I think the boat is still sailing back in Ontario waters. The is a Nonsuch association, possibly some of their members would know of the boats history more than me. His mast was from a pre 1984 boat a the reason for the dismasting was that too many fittings were screwed to the mast around the same plane. After the mast recalls in 1986 this was solved on all Nonsuches as the new bottom sections were thicker. The later models sometime in the 90`s came with carbon spars. Today Nonsuch 33`s are available new. The manufacturer is Wigger`s in Bowmanville just east of Toronto. Pricey though...start at $239000. CAN. For two people a 30 is plenty huge. The Ultra model comes with a pullman berth foward. The Classic is kind of laid out similar to a Niagara 35 inside with the setees foward. Ultras typically cost more than classics. A typical used Ultra 30 in Canada today goes for between 90 to 125K. If your looking for a cozy cruiser and aren`t planning to round the horn, you`ll like this boat. On my dads I was once single handing with the auto pilot remote in my hand. I got into a tacking duel with some buddies on a CS 36 Merlin. While I sat confortably on the fordeck with a beer in hand they were cranking away on their huge 153 genoa. As soon as they would have it cranked in I would push a button to tack and watch them work all over again....see Nonsuches are fun!
Old 27-02-2006, 06:45   #9

Eugene!!!

Thank for your comments!!!!
The HR are too expensive and too much bright work. That's what I dislike about the Cape Dory's!!!

I wouldn't touch a Valiant!!! They have hull problems big time!!!!!!
I'll check out Passport& Caliber

Thanks, Allan Guest
Old 27-02-2006, 06:48   #10

TO CSY MAN

hmmmmm she looks a bit on the slow side!!!!
I'll check it out anyway.

Allan
Old 27-02-2006, 07:02   #11

To Drumroll 30

I know of David Philpot and his journey! I am sure there must be some fool that has sailed a Hunter or Catalina around the world...does it mean they are safe bluewater boats...NOT!

I still haven't ruled out the Nonsuch 33 or 36, although even is a buy it in the States they appear too expensive. And I have heard they aren't the smoothest in a chop! I have full confidence in the Hinterhoeller build quality. Just that big sail and wishbone that concerns me.

Hey and I like your C&C! But then I have a soft spot for em! lol

Fair winds, Allan
Old 27-02-2006, 13:31   #12

To Allan C&C less,
Allan, if I were changing boats, theres a 1996 C&C 36XL on yachtworld....NICE!!!
Old 28-02-2006, 07:27   #13

Thumbs down No thanks Drumroll!

I checked yachtworld the only C&C 1996 was $115,000 us. Thats about double my budget. Besides IMHO the newer C&C's are inferior to the older models.
Allan
Old 28-02-2006, 14:28   #14

I know that 36 is steep, must be near one of the last made. Theres an 1983 aft cabin 40 for sale in the Chicago area, dark green hull, really nice, $ 68K Canadian also on Yachtworld fairly deep draft though. I`ve noticed a trend that the asking prices for C&C`s in Canada are generally more than in the US.
Old 28-02-2006, 21:20   #15

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Hi.

Good luck looking around. I found the review where I got the idea that nonsuch were cored -- check it out. The review is for a 30 ft, and it is possible larger boats didn't have cored hulls. But I would be suspicious to say the least.

http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Nonsuch30.htm

It may also be the hinterholer used core for the hulls but the new company producing these boats doesn't do it....

A survey would probably tell whether it is dored, AND whether any water damage exists.

I am curious if there are any of these boats which are in fact not cored, because they seem really appealing in their simplicity.

Good luck.

Eugene
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote