Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 13:30   #46

I own a Nonsuch 30C and feel compelled to toss in my 2-cents.

First, it's a pleasure to see Arthur (Bear Away) involved in this thread. The man has a truly respectable amount of knowledge of the Nonsuch.

I purchased Lazybones (formerly Port O' Call), a 1980 Nonsuch 30 Classic, in 2003 from the original owner through Jim Eastland (Eastland Yachts) in Essex, CT.

Cosmetically, the boat was rough and the original Volvo MD-11C was hard broke. So, in October of 2003, I began a refit of the boat starting with a re-power that was agreed upon with the owner. After all was complete we departed Essex in April 2004 for a trip back up to East Greenwich.

I had made this trip before on my friend's 30 Classic which got me hooked on the Nonsuch.

Since then, I have comfortably sailed this boat in all conditions, including a Nor'Easter, and never looked back. Contrary to what most people think, the boat works upwind just fine although admittedly best on a reach. Additionally, I have single-handed this boat many times with no issues. The most important thing is that the Admiral is comfortable in all conditions.

You can find some (but not all) pictures of upgrades at:

LAZYBONES 30C 77 1980 Photo Gallery by Nonsuch Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Most recently had Lazybones painted with Awlcraft 2000; what a beautiful finish.

Bottom line is that I have never found the need to look for other boats. We love our Nonsuch and if we were ever in the market for another boat it would be a Nonsuch 33.

Cheers,

Bob
anchorsaweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 22:45   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I've never encountered a Nonsuch owner who did not love the boat.

Never.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22   #48

I delivered a Nonsuch 3x (can't remember the lenght) from Bermuda to Antigua and found it a very comfortable boat. I was not crazy about one sail and dealing with storm conditions if it arose (didn't)... but was quite impressed with the boat.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12   #49

I just found another reason to like my Nonsuch after reading about the recent tragic accident off Bermuda:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: STAYING AWAY FROM DANGEROUS SITUATIONS.
Old 01-12-2010, 15:22   #50

Boat: jeanneau Gin Fizz-38'
Allan, lok at the Island Packet, your wife will like the below decks, comfy and stable.Conventional sail setup. Big and heavy stable, red
redhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 15:37   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
always carry cable cutters on board always. with looong handles.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 18:42   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorsaweigh
I own a Nonsuch 30C and feel compelled to toss in my 2-cents.

First, it's a pleasure to see Arthur (Bear Away) involved in this thread. The man has a truly respectable amount of knowledge of the Nonsuch.

I purchased Lazybones (formerly Port O' Call), a 1980 Nonsuch 30 Classic, in 2003 from the original owner through Jim Eastland (Eastland Yachts) in Essex, CT.

Cosmetically, the boat was rough and the original Volvo MD-11C was hard broke. So, in October of 2003, I began a refit of the boat starting with a re-power that was agreed upon with the owner. After all was complete we departed Essex in April 2004 for a trip back up to East Greenwich.

I had made this trip before on my friend's 30 Classic which got me hooked on the Nonsuch.

Since then, I have comfortably sailed this boat in all conditions, including a Nor'Easter, and never looked back. Contrary to what most people think, the boat works upwind just fine although admittedly best on a reach. Additionally, I have single-handed this boat many times with no issues. The most important thing is that the Admiral is comfortable in all conditions.

You can find some (but not all) pictures of upgrades at:

LAZYBONES 30C 77 1980 Photo Gallery by Nonsuch Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Most recently had Lazybones painted with Awlcraft 2000; what a beautiful finish.

Bottom line is that I have never found the need to look for other boats. We love our Nonsuch and if we were ever in the market for another boat it would be a Nonsuch 33.

Cheers,

Bob
I know this is an old thread but hoping I could get some more feed back on Nonsuchs. We are considering a new boat and the Nonsuch 33 is at the top of the list. We sail in Maine, where the waters are blanketed with lobster pots. Due to its protected prop and skeg hung rudder our tartan 34c has never hung up but I know many modern boat owners who have horror stories about about getting tangled. I am concerned about the nonsuch rudder design. Can anyone offer their experience with this issue on this boat? It's a safety issue not often discussed but important if you sail in these waters.
Sailnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 16:15   #53

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop
The Nonsuch I have seen in RI and the New England waters were always stable and fast. The Nonsuch 36 my friend had was an incredible reaching boat and quite comfortable in a blow (the beam and weight made it seem quite stable). I cannot comment on handling the rig as I was only on it the one time, but I've seen older couples handling it pretty easily.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:20   #54

Re: How 'bout a Nonsuch ?

Sailnh:

I've owned my Nonsuch 30 since 1995 and sail Long Island Sound mostly. We have a fair share of Lobster Buoys in my local waters maybe not as much as they have in Maine. But, in 15 years I have never picked a Lobster bouy line in the rudder. There is a small stainless steel pin in front of the rudder that deflects any line away from the joint where the rudder meets the hull so the lines don't get caught there.
Old 01-04-2011, 18:51   #55

Boat: Sabre 402

A Nonesuch 33 was sailed singlehanded from RI to France last summer by it's new owner. He didn't have much trouble with lobster pots, but was not pleased by the light air performance. Mbianka's steel pin sounds like a good idea. We sailed in Maine two summers ago. Between Mt. Desert and Portland the lobster pot density is about four times what we see in Long Island Sound. We tangled one in the prop on our way to Frenchboro, ME. It had been dragged under by the current (in about 60' of water) so we hadn't seen it. After a couple of whomping thumps, the prop must have cut it. Whew.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:05   #56

Boat: Nonsuch 30C BEAR AWAY V, Nonsuch 30C BEAR AWAY VI, Thompson 20 BEAR'L ALONG, Lyman 18 RUNNING BEAR

Two years ? ! ? You can tell how often I get on this forum. lol
If you are still alive Bubble and haven't already gone and returned ...

Any Nonsuch from 26 to 40 would be great from "The Bay" to the Bahamas and back. Many have over the decades and will do that trip and farther still at both ends.

I've been from Halifax to Key West over the years and all over the Great Lakes except Superior.
Bear Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 13:33   #57

Boat: Nonsuch 33 White Gold II

Hey Bearaway,
You are a lover of Hinterholler boats, I'm suprised you didn,t have a shark at one time to, by the way I sailed my 33 White Gold II from Port Elgin to Georgetown Exumas and plan to continue to Grenada this fall, as long as you pick your windows (schedules kill sailors!!) there will not be a problem since in you can almost day sail and bay sail all the way to Grenada.
095774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 13:53   #58

The rig is not complex. We have owned a 26 for 6 years. My wife and I sail it all the time. She has never touched a winch handle.

The topping lift and choker line we adjust about once a year. On the Chesapeake we almost never reef. Its not as closewinded as conventionally rigged boats. Because of the unusual rig new sailors/buyers usually dont choose these boats.

Hinterhoeller build was excellent but the boats are getting older. My advice in the brokerage market whatever you choose is pay a little more for the well maintained brokerage boat vs. the "beater" bargain of same age/model. Happy sailing!
fatcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 14:05   #59

PS. Mike really knows what he is doing. So does Arthur "Bear Away". So for that matter does the guy who fixed up the NS 30.
fatcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote