Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 20:23   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: How Big Should My Hot Water Tank Be ?

Get rid of the tank completely and install an everhot or equivalant. Takes less space than a tank and gives you an unlimited supply of hot water. We have a 20 gallon with engine heat exchanger that we kept for free heating when running the engine as well, but the everhot we installed with our hydronic system makes it pretty redundant. JMHO.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:45   #17

Boat: S&S yaul 41'

Thanks alot for your reply on hot water tank. We really appricate your replys.
maureen beltram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:55   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Your cruising location is a factor to be considered. We are usually cruising in warm climates and most often don't bathe with heated water. We never run out of hot water with our six gallon water heater and most often don't operate the water heater.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:09   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Get rid of the tank completely and install an everhot or equivalant. . . .
Here is a link to one of those units - look at the price - Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

I would recommend the Home Depot system if you have AC power available. If not a discount Marine water heater with both electric heating coils and engine fresh water system coils. I like the "Superstor" units as the outer casing is/was plastic (the tank is stainless steel) and will not rust. Super Stor
- - Heating potable water by using the diesel engine takes an hour or more - after - the engine is up to temperature. So you are wasting a lot of diesel and running the engine unloaded if you are not moving.
- - I turn on my engine coolant to the hot water heater when underway during the last hour of operation (one hour before I expect to arrive and anchor) otherwise the water gets too hot.
- - Otherwise, I run the generator to make AC to heat the water, and do several other things at the same time like charging batteries, running bread machine, watching DVD's on our big screen monitor, and other housekeeping tasks that require AC electric.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:20   #20

Boat: Westsail 32

I have a 5 gallon heater run off engine coolant. You're welcome to it as I've removed it (and the engine driven refer) from the boat. If you want it I'd be happy to ship it to you for the cost of freight. Anybody interested in the engine refer, make an offer. Both need to find new homes.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17   #21

Boat: S&S yaul 41'

Have another question where can I keep a litter box for my cats 2 of them. 41ft. boat only a V-Berth and not a lot of room. Will appricate any suggestion on this. Thanks, Maureen
maureen beltram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31   #22

I'm not tackling that one, as I can think of too many wrong answers and none that are "right" to a cat lover.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen beltram View Post
Have another question where can I keep a litter box for my cats 2 of them. 41ft. boat only a V-Berth and not a lot of room. Will appricate any suggestion on this. Thanks, Maureen
If it's not too late train them to go in the head. Getting them to pump will be the hard part.

How to Toilet Train Your Cat - YouTube
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38   #24

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Might want to try an on demand propane water heater. Hot water only limited by your boats water capacity and very little waste running the hotwater to a distant fixture. They take up very little space in the head which leaves the rest of the boatg free of a tank. Never felt the need for hotwater in the galley.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:48   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If it's not too late train them to go in the head. Getting them to pump will be the hard part.

How to Toilet Train Your Cat - YouTube
You've got to be freakin kidding me!!! The woman in the video is really serious . That said, I do know of a pet bobcat around these parts that was trained to use the toilet, but flush? Naw... But if you can train them to use a toilet, why can't you train them to hang their arse off the side?
Old 10-10-2011, 17:23   #26

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Litter box placement is just a matter of hunting around for a corner which is pretty far away from your sleeping bunks (and guest bunks). Usually there is space underneath a nav desk or in the galley or where ever there is a bulkhead separating compartments.
- - But be sure to devise a system to hold down the litter box from moving as the boat rocks and rolls underway. The closer the litter box is to the centerline of the boat the less it will tend to want to wander about.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:36   #27

Boat: Broward, 108'
Send a message via Skype™ to Lotustrbo

Have you considered a tank-less hot water heater? They don't take up near as much space, they are more energy efficient and you have unlimited hot water.

Tags
water