Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2017, 15:03   #46

Re: How big is too big for a first boat novice sailor? And my little dreams

You're an awesome bunch here, not the salty, bitter, onion biting sea dogs I would have expected. Thanks for all the info. I'm looking at cats at the harbor right now. 36 and 470 they don't have the outward aesthetic appeal that I love but they seem well built from what I've read about them and they have a dedicated following so something must be right.

Old 12-08-2017, 15:11   #47

Ann, I don't plan on starting my learning experience in whatever I end up buying. Right now I'm looking to avoid a 30k lease agreement by finding the right boat to live in now that I can sail later. My buddy has a perfectly good little sail boat that he's going to give me lessons on. Then I'll probably head over to the blue water academy to take some lessons there as well. Never hurts to learn more.
So this investment isnt only going to be for my future sailing expeditions but also as a semi permanent housing arrangement. Plus it gives me time to learn my boat, just gotta make sure I make the right buy so I'm going as slow as I possibly can, which is still a 6 min mile for most people. I also don't see myself ever solo sailing anywhere, it's a nice idea but I'd rather have one or two with me on all trips.

Old 12-08-2017, 15:34   #48

Boat: Scout 30

The good news is that Boat Show season is just around the corner. Hit a couple of the big ones like Annapolis or Miami to see what's going on in boats right now. The mid quality range Beneteau, Hunter & Catalina designs may surprise you as they are trending more toward the modern condo than the traditional cruiser. In the meantime start looking at as many boats for sale as you can find. Don't get in a hurry & don't be impulsive. The more boats you look at the more you'll realize what's available & what you like & don't like.
Old 12-08-2017, 19:27   #49

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Justshane, You clearly have an eye for attractive boats... My spreadsheet told me that haul-out, painting, slip rental, insurance, etc went up disproportionately over 36 ft and again over 40 ft. 30 ft is below bare minimum for someone your height... with a partner, no way. An older 36 or 40 Plastic Classic will be reasonable price and maintenance plus roomy enough to avoid insanity.
Old 12-08-2017, 19:52   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

With instruction and necessary schooling, nothing is too big. How do you think the navy gets by? Most captains don't get much handling experience until they have command. Sometimes it shows.
If you're mainly looking for a liveaboard now, a power boat is more comfortable. In the meantime you can take sailing and navigation lessons. If you're successful you can sail the world. If not, parts of your boat will wash up on some beach and the crabs will be a little bigger next year.
Old 12-08-2017, 20:32   #51

Boat: Scout 30

I just found this on Craigslist. If you want a floating condo that you can actually cruise in this is it! In fact one of these has actually cruised to Hawaii. Pretty interesting trawlers where, instead of DC, pretty much everything runs on AC like a house. Twin small Yanmars for redundant propulsion & a generator meant to be run just about full time unless you're at a dock. It has a kitchen with full size home appliances & a real bath instead of a head. It's a long range cruiser with a beamy stable unsinkable hull that would actually suit your needs now & in the future.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...239527299.html
Old 12-08-2017, 21:59   #52

46 Tayana 2007 Ciao Bella Koolina, Hawaii
This budget of mine just keeps going. 2007, so it's newer, I've heard good things about the pilot house. It's condoish and can sleep a full crew on long trips, which I'd likely have.

The Catalina 470 is purty inside but it has a wing and from what I read, not a great blue water boat.

Lepke, lol. Love it.
Old 13-08-2017, 04:13   #53

1983 Tayana 52 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That's the other Tayana I'm looking at. I know, I know, back to big boat big expense but I'm factoring in livability, comfort and safety. With the 2007, it had a full electrical failure in 2012 during a trans Pacific crossing. It was documented. Which probably means it's been updated on that end, plus it's newer so less wear with time. The owner from what I can tell has recently passed away. Looks like it belongs to his estate.
Old 13-08-2017, 04:20   #54

Lots of good advice here. Look at the Catalina 42. Lots of them, large owners group, many sailed far and wide. No varnish on the outside, lots of wood inside. And one thing to consider, you can get anything in the boat out the gangway, even the engine, without tearing the boat apart. I have a friend that bought one as his first boat, he still owns it more than 10 years later. Steep learning curve and he smacked a few docks in the beginning, but loves it now. Take some real classes (ASA101), join a sailing club, and sail with some old salts, most are glad to impart their knowledge. Good luck, great adventure.
Old 13-08-2017, 05:05   #55

Boat: Sabre 34-1

Curious where you are. The Hudson was in HI -- if that is where you are, you choices are very limited. If you are truly global, there are many "abandoned dreams" in places like Tahiti -- well equipped, current, ocean crossing boats that disillusioned owners are trying to unload at good prices. Or the Med, where the US dollar can buy nice boats these days.
Old 13-08-2017, 10:38   #56

I'm in Hawaii.
I'm looking at the full course by asa, I'm already scheduled to go on 2 sailing trips in the next month. One just an overnight, the other 4 days.
Harry, my problem is that I'm stuck here for a bit. Can wing it a month or two where I'm staying but after that I gotta find a place. Unless you want to travel to tahiti for me and bring me back a boat
And it will definitely be two of us on that boat for living, thinking 4-6 for blue water circumnavigation. I can't do the blue water with just us two, I probably could but I understand my own limitations on knowledge and practical application. Id rather an experienced crew be on hand in case shtf with weather. My route will likely be from Hawaii to vavau, stay there a month or two then travel on to New Zealand and then Australia where I'll stay for up to a year. I'll hit smaller islands and ports in between.
Old 13-08-2017, 13:26   #57

Quote: "Id rather an experienced crew be on hand in case shtf with weather."

I can see why you'd say that. But if you are going to do it that way, you have to be absolutely sure in your own mind that you can refrain from "second-guessing" the person who would then effectively be the captain, i.e. totally responsible for the safety of YOUR expensive boat as well as YOUR life and that of your friends. The potential for nasty conflicts is unlimited in such situations :-)!

Perhaps better just to learn to be a captain before you go. That's a kettle of fish of a whole different colour from passing the ASA courses! I could teach you the fundamentals of BOAT-HANDLING on the HF50 in a long weekend. But learning to be a captain takes a lifetime. Most of us old-timers are STILL working on it :-)! Some of it is book-larnin', some of it is temperament, some of it is "having seen it before".

A trivial example, but an example nevertheless: Nearly fifty years ago, I and some other people from the sailing school where I taught were crew in a fifty footer chartered by someone I didn't know personally. We were in a part of the Gulf Islands that is notorious for having hard bits everywhere. The charterer was skipper. of course, and had decided on a track. I was, by pure happenstance, on the helm. I learned long ago that you don't get to give orders till you've learned to take them, so I was being a good little boy and doing as I was told. To a point :-)! I didn't like the look of the water around us, so on my own initiative I lay her dead while I was "reading the water" and beginning to ask one of our experienced people to have a butcher's at the chart. Charterer came roaring on deck: "What the Hell are you stopping for"?!, grabbed the helm and cranked her up again. SMACK! Sure enuff - there was a pinnacle!

The rest of that cruise was rather strained :-) Fortunately, it was only a long weekend, not a six weeks passage, since every man-jack was now looking askance at the skipper and evading him as much as possible.

TP
Old 13-08-2017, 13:58   #58

I absolutely plan on being the Captain but I would rely on an experienced crew for practicality and if things get bad, I have no qualms about handing over the wheel to someone with more experience to get us through the bad times. I'm pretty good about knowing when I'm in over my head and when to tell someone they aren't doing the right thing. I don't come with a lot of ego, when I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. When I don't know what I'm doing, I'll quickly ask someone who does. Lessons learned from times of war, egos get people killed.
Old 13-08-2017, 14:53   #59

Quote: "I don't come with a lot of ego, when I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it."

You are halfway home, then ;-0)!

TP
Old 15-08-2017, 13:43   #60

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

That 1983 P could be a good boat. Probably a Bill Shaw design which have friendly characteristics and a good reputation for build quality. Is the boat local..its expensive to move a boat. It's been painted so look closely at the quality, condition of paint. Prior to 1980 most boats did not come with holding tanks. Many of those have been refited with very small bladders, a problem. Also Y valves weren't required till late 80's . A survey will point out all defects, deferred maintenance. Go for it, learn on your buddies 22, take your boat on a 3 day sail with a licensed sailing skipper and you will learn more in those 3 days than months in a 3 hr, once a week class. Also join the local Power Squadron for classes. In a year or less you will be a competent sailor. Good luck

Tags
boat, novice, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: