Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2005, 23:34   #1

Boat: currently "on the beach"
how about these 2 ?

ok - i went back and read all the long keel stuff and associated threads (stuck off the water this weekend - family) and did some searches. i checked on some of the boats recommended and found none in new england, but i have focused in on two more possibles that are under 50k and supposed to be blue water pocket cruisers. the cape dory 30 ( not sure if we are talking mk1 or mk2 - very different looking hulls) and the shannon 28 cutter.
this boat will be a coastal cruiser, but i expect my 16 year old son to make some bones on his own with this boat so i want solid and forgiving (don't we all) draft works fine at 4'3" to 4'6"
by the way, i followed up on jeff's story about his dad and rhodes and - are we surprised? - the boat was built too heavy and is short on ballast. nasty motion. i also confirmed the other sailing issues outlined and so she is off the list. the boat i looked at still had the original winches - haven't seen those badboys in a long time. i still plan to look at the bristol 31.1 and i would like to know why it might not be suited for my use. capt. lar
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 20:05   #2

Totally off Topic

Lar, I'm not being critical, but notice how our perceptions have changed in just one generation.

When did a 30ft. boat get categorized as a "pocket cruiser"?

Good luck in your search.
Old 26-07-2005, 23:40   #3

very true - guess it has to do with the size of our pockets. the term was intended more to clarify it as not being a true offshore or long distance bluewater or fin keeled high performance boat - just a solid boat with average amenities to be used for near coastal boating. while i have been changing the oil and replaceing the brakes on the quickly ageing jeep looking at boats, it finally came to me that we have owned at least a dozen boats, all under 35 feet, sail and power, and we have loved all of them, had great times and have kids that benefited from time spent on the water and thats all it really comes down to - get on the water (in an intellegent and responsible manner as much of the time as possible - since thats part of what you pass along to others)
we were on shelter island - long island, ny today and have an offer in on a bristol 31.1 - nice boat. i think i have had enough looking and hope to report we survey and close and head to buzzards bay in less than 2 weeks. summer is flying by. let the maintenance and repair begin. capt. lar
Old 27-07-2005, 19:41   #4

Is that the black-over-red hull on the hard @ Coecles boatyard? Very nice. Good luck.
Old 27-07-2005, 19:49   #5

she is (actually very dark green). offer accepted and survey next week. capt. lar
Old 27-07-2005, 22:52   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Pocket boats

A Hobie 33 just finishes the Transpac placing well, the Pardies travel the oceans in a 29?? foot boat, Hartley 28's, and Hereshoff 28,s sail everywhere and there are too many other examples for me to remember right now. When did we start to discount well found 28 to 30 foot boats as being ocean crossing capable?
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 21:55   #7

well, the term pocket cruiser does not mean it is limited in capability, just size and amenities, in other words, creature comforts, tankage. a shannon 28 in proper condition will go anywhere you care to steer her (tiller) - but it will take longer and be tight quarters below. i happen to agree that less is more, but for long distance and if the budget allows, design has moved ahead so larger boats can be handled by smaller crew and give owners the goodies too. capt. lar
Old 28-07-2005, 23:27   #8

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
So which one did the offer get accepted on?
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 01:04   #9

hey jon - haven't seen you post lately - figured you were on the water. bristol 31.1 - my thinking is a little off from most, but if we like her, maybe in 3 years we will move up to a bigger bristol if we can finally get free. i know she is not the best sailor, but nor am i - and she is bristol - maintained without budget. don't see any extra expenses, but we will leave that to surveyor. capt. lar
Old 29-07-2005, 16:07   #10

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Best of luck with the new boat. Been sailing some but not enough.

Just working and putting the final touches on the boat so we can leave in the spring. List is pretty much done except for some spares.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote