Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2013, 08:38   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hot Water Tank Options?

Yup...I took my behemoth H2O tank that was in the Lazerette. It leaked of course. I feel the engine heating feature is a joke as it takes a diesel engine 20 minutes to come up to temperature to heat the damn thing, then another 30 minutes to heat the 5 gallons in the tank. So really the 110VAC is the only "real" option in my opinion. That said, if the boat is at the dock most of the time a cheap 5 gallon H2O heater from Home depot would do the trip as well and probably last as long.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:07   #17

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Some folk like having a water heater, some don't see the need. Personal choice, methinks. We didn't need one while in The Sea of Cortez; we were happy to have one while in New Zealand.

We like having the engine heat option on our water heater as it means hot showers after pulling into an anchorage, or the first evening after getting underway, basically free of effort. And once a month the diesel needs running anyway. The rest of the time our wind/solar/inverter setup runs the 110v heat option as needed.

We live aboard 24/7 and seldom tie off at a marina.* Well, we did tie up for three months in New Zealand but didn't connect to shore power. No need.

When we bought he, our boat had an aluminum box water heater that started leaking some years later. There was no galvanic isolator installed and the previous owner had a permanent dock slip with shore power. Not good. Put up with the leak until our budget allowed buying a new stainless steel unit.

*Note: Mazatlan doesn't count - for us, that place was the twilight zone.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If I had propane, would go with an 'on demand' heater like a small Paloma in the head. Only time I ever use hot water is for a shower in the head which is a precious rare occurence for me. Take my personal hygiene sessions in the cockpit with ocean water but then the climate here makes that painless.

If you manually start the 'on demand' heater when you need it and turn off gas at the appliance when done, less dangerous to use than the cook stove.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 12:11   #19

Nothing wrong with tankless, but you are setup and ready to go with the normal 6 gal tank. Just buy a new one and install it. Probably around $250. Seward brand are fine.

"We like having the engine heat option on our water heater as it means hot showers after pulling into an anchorage, or the first evening after getting underway, basically free of effort. And once a month the diesel needs running anyway. "

YEP!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 20:10   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Thackaringa

There is no end to the variety of systems that you could use but at the end of the day it all comes down to "how do you use your boat" and how much money do you have to spend". If you have an endless supply of money and electrical power whilst at sea then you can run water makers, washing machines, water heaters and have long hot showers 3 times a day. If not then you need a system to suit your electrical capacity. Heat exchange units from your engine to a holding tank work well if you spend a lot of time at sea but then you must consider the difficulty of monitoring your water consumption. Personally I use an electric instantaneous water heater which is about half the size of a house brick and fits neatly beneath my galley sink. It draws about 13 amps when I am in the marina and gives me all of the hot water I need for washing and showers. Whilst at sea I use the good old solar shower because it is free and it helps monitor my water usage. My advise is do NOT use any type of gas water heater in you boat unless you want you life and your boat insurance to be nul and void.
Thackaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:29   #21

Boat: Coast 34

I have a Paloma installed now but it needs a replacement water flow control valve. Any suggestions for part supply...not much luck on the web.
mahone bay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water