Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2013, 01:20   #1

Holland 30 vs Supersail 30

Hi All,

I'm soon to buy a 30 footer for the purpose of a good all-rounder. At the moment I'm considering either a Holland 30f or a Supersail 30f yacht. I live in Tasmania, Australia and will (could) experience weather in the furious 40s so need a cruiser that can handle itself in the blue water. On the other hand I am keen to do a little light (twilight) racing. Can anyone advise me on either hull type for durability, speed, sail ability.

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks
Marc
marccruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 02:01   #2

Boat: Custom
Re: Holland 30 vs Supersail 30

Hi Marc.

I have owned a supersail and believe I have sailed on a Holland 30.

The supersail are a Curran design, I had the pleasure of speaking to him before our purchase. His concern was that many of the boats were finished to hull/deck stage and thus there is very little consistency with the deck layout and interior fit out. Almost all were fitted out by owners and I saw some very interesting ideas in some that I looked at. Apparently several of the rigs were fitted well forward of the intended design causing the anticipated issues and something you should check thoroughly. Balsa core deck also caused a few soft spots, spent a lot of time with my router, dremel and glass.

Having said all that, we ended up with a great little boat, we twilight raced her, but a 3 blade fixed prop, and old sails etc and we just had a lot of good times. The fit out we had worked well for us, engine gave us endless problems but, despite her weird looks at the stern, she was a good boat.

I never owned a Holland, but sailed them. I think they are the prettier of the 2 and as an all rounder probably equal to the supersail, as a racer I would pick a Holland every day.

You should find the Holland keeps its value better, supersail owners are an eclectic mix and the price should reflect that.

All in all you will get a nice boat from the Holland, and by contrast, if the supersail is well built, and only a survey will tell, you can get a really nice boat, unusual enough to raise people's awareness and invite themselves for a drink to have a look. If she is a good one I would go the supersail all over again IMHO she will suit you nicely.

God luck - let me know what you decide

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 02:22   #3

Just had a look at the boat in devoit Tasmania an am pretty confident she is our old boat. Certainly looks like it but it was a long time ago.

If that is where you are looking bounce up and down on the deck just behind the anchor winch and slightly to Port.

She is a nice boat, LOTS of fun memories with those photos.

Old 22-01-2013, 02:42   #4

Hi James,

Your certainly on the ball. I appreciate the heads up on the info you have given so far and you have confirmed my thoughts on the boat differences (Holland maintaining her resale) , I will have a look at the Supersail in Deviot and will have a jump on it also. How funny it is that the Summer Cloud could be your old boat? When did you sell it? The holland 30 that I'm going to look at is in Victoria and is set up quite well also. I'm still open to opinion at this stage and will try and soak up as much information as I can.

Thanks
Marc
Old 22-01-2013, 14:24   #5

Anytime Marc.

We sold here about 10 odd year and 2 boats ago.

I forgot to mention the stark contrast between the two regarding internal volume. The supersail beats a Holland hands down.

Also, lift the teak in the cockpit, when I sold her it was covering a fair bit of crazing in the gelcoat. Nothing structural I was told, but cosmetically annoying. May have been fixed up now as well.

Anyhow let me know how you go

Old 22-01-2013, 18:32   #6

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

In the late 1970s I was in the fibreglass game in Sydney (I built Maricats), and Supersail hulls and decks were being pumped out by a Dutch guy near where Olympic Park is today. They were over catalysing them to flop them out of the molds quickly, the choppergun layup was inconsistent, and if the boat you are looking at came from that time and place I'd be very wary. It could have major issues.
It may be fine, or from another source, but have a surveyor check it out, particularly the state of the fibreglass.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 00:34   #7

Boat: 1977 Cav 26

Hello Marc, if she has 2 or more wombats siting on the deck be weary,
1 wombat and 1 wallaby 'ok'
Old 24-01-2013, 13:24   #8

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the heads up on the Wombats. With a bit of luck she'll have a wallaby as well.

Marc

Tags
Holland