Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2015, 12:25   #1

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini
Hoisting Dinghy

As my saga of getting my cal29 ready continues, I am looking at ways to raise my dinghy out of the water. I would like to be able to raise it with the engine and 3gal fuel tank in place. This would be just for overnights at an achorage or short runs to a new nearby anchorage. On longer runs I plan to remove the engine and deflate the dinghy.

My dinghy is a 10' zodiac with a 15hp 2 stroke engine. My boat is a Cal29. Currently I have been looking at forespar davits for the rear, but read somewhere about someone using the boom to store the dinghy out of the water overnight. Your thoughts? Any ideas, or is buying davits the solution? Also, any issues with using the spinnaker halyard to raise the dinghy to the deck so I could deflate it? Thanks!
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 12:40   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Re: Hoisting Dinghy

Personally I'd just use the boom for overnight storage. You'll need to figure out how to lift the dinghy keeping it balanced with the motor on but that is pretty easy. I have a St Croix removable crane that serves lifting but not for overnight but it probably could. The boom will do it just as easy. I like the crane for lifting the motor to and over the rail.

SC

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 14:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningDaylight View Post
As my saga of getting my cal29 ready continues, I am looking at ways to raise my dinghy out of the water. I would like to be able to raise it with the engine and 3gal fuel tank in place. This would be just for overnights at an achorage or short runs to a new nearby anchorage. On longer runs I plan to remove the engine and deflate the dinghy.

My dinghy is a 10' zodiac with a 15hp 2 stroke engine. My boat is a Cal29. Currently I have been looking at forespar davits for the rear, but read somewhere about someone using the boom to store the dinghy out of the water overnight. Your thoughts? Any ideas, or is buying davits the solution? Also, any issues with using the spinnaker halyard to raise the dinghy to the deck so I could deflate it? Thanks!
Does the outboard fold inward inside the zodiac? if so you could rig a way to pull it flat against the transom. What ladder do you have at the rear?
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 14:51   #4

The outboard just tilts up. No ladder on the rear of the boat.
Old 14-05-2015, 14:54   #5

Also, anyone have any experience with the dinghy sling davit system? Looks like a net that holds the dinghy to the boat.
Old 14-05-2015, 18:28   #6

Will it hold the engine? Don't know. C-Level Universal Dinghy Lift

Maybe it would be easier just to get an engine hoist and then pull the boat up and put it forward.

sling net http://www.allinflatables.com/shoppi...hb/sling1.html
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy