Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2014, 13:53   #1
cruiser

Hobbyhorsing Westsail 32

Does anyone know the tendencies of a westsail 32 to hobbyhorse? Is the 28 any better in this aspect? Can it be prevented?
SargassumFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 13:58   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: hobbyhorsing westsail 32

It likes it. Keeping the weight out of the ends will help some.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 14:22   #3

With a 27.5 waterline on 32 feet and full ends you wouldn't think they would be much of a "hobby horser". But other things are at play too. It's all subjective I guess. As mentioned keep weight out of the ends, and if trying to plow thru chop keep it moving either by cracking off the sails for power or motor sailing. The HC 38 was the same way terrible in a chop you had to bear off the wind like a catamaran.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 17:42   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Heavy full-keelers tend to hobbyhorse in a chop. It's the nature of the beast.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 17:51   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Saw a 32 out of the water at svensons in alameda a few years ago where the guy was molding a wing onto the rear of the keel in hopes to stop the action.. never did find out if it worked or not...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 18:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

When we built our boat did some things that added a hundred or more pounds in the bow that wasn't necessary. Carried 230' of 3/8" chain, a 35# and a 45# anchor on the bowsprit. Did stow the chain under the V berth rather than forward in the bow. Had the composite ballast which was carried farther forward and aft than the later all lead cast ballast. The boat would hobby horse in light winds and choppy, close spaced waves. Fall off a bit and/or get wind more than about 8k and boat would sail fine. Open ocean conditions, boat went to weather without complaint, didn't pound and made decent tine. Had to sail close hauled in force 4 winds to lay the Marquesas once south of the doldrums. Averaged 125 miles a day for four days.

Once we got back, pulled out the chain and the anchors off the sprit. Was amazed at how much better the boat sailed to weather in light air with all that weight out of the bow. Using 5/16" chain, stowing only one anchor on the sprit, should improve light air/choppy sailing ability to weather.

Having said the above, the design of the boat with a fairly narrow aft sections and fat forward sections is a design that makes the boat prone to hobby horsing.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 18:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
When we built our boat did some things that added a hundred or more pounds in the bow that wasn't necessary. Carried 230' of 3/8" chain, a 35# and a 45# anchor on the bowsprit. Did stow the chain under the V berth rather than forward in the bow. Had the composite ballast which was carried farther forward and aft than the later all lead cast ballast. The boat would hobby horse in light winds and choppy, close spaced waves. Fall off a bit and/or get wind more than about 8k and boat would sail fine. Open ocean conditions, boat went to weather without complaint, didn't pound and made decent tine. Had to sail close hauled in force 4 winds to lay the Marquesas once south of the doldrums. Averaged 125 miles a day for four days.

Once we got back, pulled out the chain and the anchors off the sprit. Was amazed at how much better the boat sailed to weather in light air with all that weight out of the bow. Using 5/16" chain, stowing only one anchor on the sprit, should improve light air/choppy sailing ability to weather.

Having said the above, the design of the boat with a fairly narrow aft sections and fat forward sections is a design that makes the boat prone to hobby horsing.
Parcel the chain into lengths and stow amidships slightly aft. Ditto anchors. Will make a big difference.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 20:02   #8

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Certainly not an expert in boat design but from experience off shore on many west coast deliveries the LWL and moment of the waves really determined the 'hobby horsing ' effect. I've delivered several Westsails both north and south and their length and the time between west coast swells offshore could really set up an uncomfortable motion. Traveling a little further out or inshore usually solved the problem but you had to be flexible to have a smoother ride. They are very seaworthy boats both into a headon buck or a following sea being double ended and behaved admiably when overcanvassed as well. I believe any vessel is capable of 'hobby horsing' in the right conditions but the longer the LWL the less of chance in my experience. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 03:34   #9

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Saw a 32 out of the water at svensons in alameda a few years ago where the guy was molding a wing onto the rear of the keel in hopes to stop the action.. never did find out if it worked or not...
Rolf and Deborah on Northern Light, a Joshua class 40 foot double ender did this and they are convinced it significantly improved the boats performance to windward and reduced pitching, even with the taller masts. It apparently also eliminated broaching down wind, even when pushing the boat way past her limits.

They made many very fast passages on her, before and after the mods. Get a copy of their books, northern light and time on ice.

Surprising more long keelers haven't done anything similar. The design was complex and Rolf was planning to market the design. I have photos, but Rolf asked mw to keep them private and I respect that.

By the way, I was very impressed with a wooden version I delivered from Adelaide to Hobart. Never seen a.boat self steer so well downwind, now I know how Robin Knox Johnston did it.
Old 30-07-2014, 03:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Heavy full-keelers tend to hobbyhorse in a chop. It's the nature of the beast.
I haven't had that with my Island Packet, but I don't carry any significant weight in the ends either, Concern for hobby horsing is one reason I haven't gone to a Gen set as it could only go in the aft Lazarette. This 55 lb anchor I have ordered and the chain that will go with it has me concerned a little.
I'm hoping though that because the IP is a modern design full keel heavy displacement boat that carries a lot of it's beam pretty far aft that it simply isn't prone to hobby horsing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 04:46   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Hobbyhorsing Westsail 32

Keep the ends light.

It has full ends, this limits hobby horsing.

It is tubby, this promotes hobby horsing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 05:31   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

My Ingrid doesn't hobby horse but will translate pitching forces into roll when motoring. Put up the sails and all that stops. Perhaps Atkin learned a few things from his shorter designs. Never been sure why Westsail 32 was 32 instead of 38.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 05:37   #13

I watched a W32 hobby horse so bad heading North in the Sea of Cortez that at times I could see the top of his prop come out of the water.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail