Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepdraft View Post

Like this? ;-)
Not quite that extreme

Old 29-03-2013, 06:06   #17

Re: Hitting Bottom at Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If ya know someone with a power boat, have them come wash your silp out for ya !! we do that all the time down the bayou! I don't have enough room to do it with my boat, but my buddy comes and deepens my dock every couple of mo's ! works for us. He do our slip and I take him and his sailing !! good trade
I was at a marina in New York where they did something similar using two tug boats.

Old 29-03-2013, 10:09   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44

well we cleared out at 6:30 this morning on the high tide. First sail of the season. Yeah and its above 40 out so thats a plus
Old 29-03-2013, 10:32   #19

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I recall back in the 60's watching a marina operator on the Fraser River in the PNW who regularly used to tow an old set of mattress springs over areas where shoals were prone to build up in his small marina. Did wonders in cleaning off the high spots in berths and the fairway. Took him an afternoon to complete the chore and he was good for the season! Necessity is the mother of... Phil
Old 29-03-2013, 10:32   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Snore-
The other question is how deep is your rudder? Keel on the bottom, no problem. But if the rudder bottoms out, it can crack the rudder shell and let water in, leading to rudder failure down the line. Even a think hairline that you can barely see. Or, gross damage to the rudder stock and bearings.
If you've got a deep rudder, that's something to check.
Old 29-03-2013, 17:58   #21

Boat: Tartan 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Snore-
The other question is how deep is your rudder? Keel on the bottom, no problem. But if the rudder bottoms out, it can crack the rudder shell and let water in, leading to rudder failure down the line. Even a think hairline that you can barely see. Or, gross damage to the rudder stock and bearings.
If you've got a deep rudder, that's something to check.
Thanks, should have mentioned on the T-33 the rudder's bottom is a tad above the bottom of the keel. That said when I get back to that coast of FLA, I will check that the rudder is free.

Dredging, etc is out as the boat is behind a private house. Have heard that sometimes the bottom cleaner's air hose does come loose though...... Just say'n
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 18:27   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a tad shallower?

Believe me, if you can find even a HAIRLINE crack in the bottom paint, even a discoloration which might be a crack...get paranoid. Rudders take a long time to fail, but the most incredibly small pinhole or hairline is all it takes to start that process. I give Beneteau great credit for having the courage (or whatever their reason was) for switching to carbon fiber rudder posts.

Like the stainless steel kitchen knives my parent's generation was sold on (they'll never rust!) I've come to understand that "stainless steel!" is just another way to saying "Hey Rube!"
Old 29-03-2013, 18:42   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If ya know someone with a power boat, have them come wash your silp out for ya !! we do that all the time down the bayou! I don't have enough room to do it with my boat, but my buddy comes and deepens my dock every couple of mo's ! works for us. He do our slip and I take him and his sailing !! good trade
I used to do the same thing with my powerboat before my marina got dredged....run my engines at the dock to keep my slip dredged out. It's impressive just how much mud 660 horsepower can move.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 18:46   #24

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This is happening here on the Great Lakes too. We have no tide so it means its time to get out of Dodge. Don't know where we can keep the boat this year. Most marinas are too shallow. Water is down about 5 feet from norms. (Lake Mich) Happens about every 50 years according to records (despite what the eco-freaks want you to believe). I was 10 last time it happened and an old-timer then told me the "kids" never remeber, "happened 50 years before".
Old 29-03-2013, 23:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm not sure that carbon fiber is an 'upgrade' I'd be happy with. There have been a bunch of lost rudders due to carbon fiber rudder posts. Don't know whether it's an unsuitable material for a rudder post or just poor engineering in the design.

Stainless steel posts have been in use for ages. They aren't perfect but it's relatively easy to check for crevice corrosion at the hull seal. They will also take a ton of abuse in a grounding, sometimes bending but at least keeping the rudder attached to the boat. What does carbon fiber do in such a situation??

It's good design to have the rudder not be as deep as the keel. You don't want the rudder trolling for rocks. That boat that had it's skeg ripped out and sunk in Fla. recently looked like the rudder was the same depth as the keel. That's an example of what can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Just a tad shallower?

I give Beneteau great credit for having the courage (or whatever their reason was) for switching to carbon fiber rudder posts.

Like the stainless steel kitchen knives my parent's generation was sold on (they'll never rust!) I've come to understand that "stainless steel!" is just another way to saying "Hey Rube!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: