Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 13:44   #16

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
The Nonsuch 33' design is still in production, so they must be doing something right:

Wiggers Custom Yachts Ltd.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:46   #17

Boat: Nonsuch 324, 30', Dulcinea
Looks like this is place to go for Nonsuch info. I live in Caribbean and was going to go to Tornonto around April and buy a 26', sail around the St Lawrence where I have never been and then ship home to the Virgin Islands.
Would you buy the shoal draft 3' 9" or the 4' 6" ?
Any experience shipping a vessel like this on a truck especially from around Toronto?
It costs more to do everything in the USVI .... at how many engine hours generally speaking would you replace the diesel engine? Wonder if the has been any fuel tank problems with these 20 year old boat.
One reply to thread said Nonsuch was solid fibreglass and another said something else..wonder who was correct?
Any advice helpful. Thanks
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21   #18

I came very close to owning a Nonsuch 30 a few years ago. The main reason I backed off was that I learned the boat is not a good offshore boat because of the hull shape, which includes a fairly flat bottom and a bow that flares out quickly towards the max beam. Conversely, these characteristics make it a very good coastal cruiser, with tremendous room below. Also I was not comfortable with the idea of taking that rig offshore.

But.... I think it would be near the top of anyone's coastal cruiser list. Especially for those planning to sail solo or short handed.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:24   #19

Back in the 60's I sailed a continuously sinking 21' gaff rigged catboat from Miami to the Virgin Islands and since then have never found a coastal cruiser with more bang for the buck.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:51   #20

Lost in translation

Sounds like a great coastal crusing boat. I'm glad to learn a little about the Nonsuch line since there's one on the hard right next to me for the winter.

My only concern . . . Can't they do something about that company name? "Hinter" means "behind" in German, so maybe they could use some work on their branding?
MC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 13:21   #21

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC01 View Post
Can't they do something about that company name?
It might sound funny in German, but Hinterhoeller is legendary in Canadian boatbuilding. He's mainly known for the design & building of the Shark 24, which is very popular here in one-design racing. Most of his boats, including many of the Nonsuch & Niagara lines, were designed by Mark Ellis though. George Hinterhoeller was also one of the key figures in C&C yachts before he formed his own company.

Irie, my personal preference is for more draft, until it hits the 6' mark. Two names that spring to mind for boat transport are Van Tuyl Trucking Inc. (905-386-6817) of Wellandport Ontario, or Dave Hinton from Loyalist cove Marina near Kingston Loyalist Cove Marina - Home Both have good reputations. If you're going to cruise the St Lawrence for any distance you may want to check Seaway System — Réseau de la Voie maritime & if cruising the area I would not miss the 1000 Islands.

International Nonsuch Association: Nonsuch
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 16:01   #22

Hey, thanks a bunch. I did preorder the new St Lawrence Cruising Guide due to come out in a couple of weeks.
Yeah, you are probably right about the draft. I owned a Shannon Shoalsailer and for every mile forward there was one sideways.
Old 14-12-2009, 22:36   #23

Hi all. Im new in this forum. I´m from Valencia, Spain. I´m interested in a Nonsuch 36 but there are a lot of voices saying that it´s not a proper ocean boat, just a costal boat. I woud like your opinion about if it woud work in the Med.

Thanks a lot

Segario
Segario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12   #24

Boat: Nonsuch 30C BEAR AWAY V, Nonsuch 30C BEAR AWAY VI, Thompson 20 BEAR'L ALONG, Lyman 18 RUNNING BEAR
Nonsuch sailing in the Med

Nonsuch was just starting to "catch on" across the pond when Hinterhoeller Yachts was bankrupted by the speculator who bought it with debt and stripped out all the cash, etc. Think that broke George H.'s heart figuratively and literally.

Believe there are merely 20 boats in total in the EU. 900+ in North America.

There are two I know of on the Med . . .

354 in Turkey . . . BONA DEA 354 76 1995 Photo Gallery by Nonsuch Photo Galleries at pbase.com

40 in Malta . . . JOURNEYMAN 40 - /2 Photo Gallery by Nonsuch Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Bear Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:16   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30C BEAR AWAY V, Nonsuch 30C BEAR AWAY VI, Thompson 20 BEAR'L ALONG, Lyman 18 RUNNING BEAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
It might sound funny in German, but Hinterhoeller is legendary in Canadian boatbuilding.
One of the few in the Canadian Boating Hall of Fame . . .
George Hinterhoeller : builder of Fisher's NONSUCH & literally MANY 1000s of other yachts . . . George Hinterhoeller R.I.P. Photo Gallery by Nonsuch Photo Galleries at pbase.com
Bear Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 11:34   #26

I've sailed a NoneSuch 36 in the Virgin Islands, and sailed and lived aboard a couple dozen cruising boats over the years.

Liked the build and finish on the 36, but found it to be among the "biggest" boats I've ever sailed in heft and feel and interior space, and the 36 developed a nasty weather helm in winds over 25 kts. Friend who skippered for a charter company that had Nonesuches said the overpowering problem was unique to the 36, but not a particular problem with the smaller 33 and 30 foot versions.

I don't think I would have a problem going offshore with the 33 or 36, but I would like to see the righting moment diagrams first. (Given Hinterholler's reputation, there should be no problem there, but nice to have the confirmation.)
brucepotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hinterhoeller