Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-02-2015, 15:55   #91

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Your original spec sounds like a trawler or large powerboat would suit better.

Being stuck on a particular brand is a good way to cull the potential list of suitable boats. A good wood interior wont be found on many modern boats. When you are restricted to used options you will rarely find your perfect dream layout.

For a liveaboard, usable space, good storage and comfort are high priority. For a workaboard having a dedicated office is important. For both a fixer upper will quickly drive you nuts.

There are certainly limits which correlate well with length of boat below which you just cant fit stuff in.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 24-02-2015, 16:56   #92

We use a sat phone to download weather and upload vital emails when offshore. In port wifi is available at marinas and most beach bars. We use a 5 mile wifi antenna. Check out March issue of crushing world article " the best yet " ph always in touch pg 40. They lay out the communication plan and describe the DeLorme in reach se for global texting. There is also a good website Active Captain check their archived newsletters, lots of them are on tech and communication issues.
As you plan, plan on a lean email address. You don't want to pay for email with pictures and ads.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 24-02-2015, 19:00   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Two years out is perfect timing to begin the discussion with them. Let them know up front that is your time frame but that you are serious. If there's nothing available right now that will suit your needs, they will know of current Hinckley owners who are thinking of selling or trading for a motorboat but don't want every tire kicker out there tromping through their boat and they will keep you in mind when one of them who owns a boat you might like decides to sell. Seriously, if I were you, I'd get in touch with Bob or Phil and let them know what you're thinking and what your price range is. It can't hurt. I can guarantee you that either of them will be truthful and courteous and won't try to make you feel like a cheapskate because you're not ordering a new one. They will use their knowledge of the market and available Hinckley yachts to try to get you what you want. At $400K you should be able to get a used boat that will fit your needs. Keep in mind that asking price and selling price are two different things, especially in this market so don't be afraid to consider boats that are initially listed for as much as 50% over your budget.
Oh, but there IS something available right now! In fact, my wife and I have been looking at her for over a month. Her name is "Bluebell", and she is beyond perfect for our needs. She's a one-owner '95 SW 42MkII sloop, and every winter since new she is pulled and put in heated(?) storage at the Hinckley yard in Southwest Harbor. How good is that? Lightly sailed, and maintained perfectly by all reports. She's listed on the high side for a 20-year-old boat (current asking price: $425K), so that might explain her being still on the market.

1995 Hinckley Sou'wester 42 MK II Sloop Sail Boat For Sale -

Again, for us she is perfect. I've looked at many used Hinckley Sou'westers, and she is the cleanest. I love her olive green interior upholstery, her teak deck, and basically everything about her. I really don't want to go above a 42-footer, even though that means that I'll have to compromise somewhere. If you scroll through the photos, you will notice the single berth just aft of her nav station. That would be an excellent area (in fact, the only area) to custom install a top-quality washer/dryer combo, extra freezer, and maybe something else (space allowing). Have Hinckley hide those items with some sort of sliding-door teak/mahogany custom enclosure, and the uninitiated would never know that they are there. We don't need to sleep 7 people, as it is mainly the two of us with the occasional guest, or 4. Thus, that aft berth is just wasted space.

I also love the port and starboard below-deck enclosed ports. Perfect for enjoying some nice wine while occasionally glancing out at the neighbors while moored.

Ms. Bluebell plus global communications, extra freezer, washer/dryer, genset, and maxed-out water and fuel capacity would be heaven. (big smiling face)

If she's still available in approximately 1.5-2 years, she's ours. And yes, I will hit the current owner with cold cash on the table, yet less than $425K. However, she’s too beautiful and will already have found a new home by then.
Old 24-02-2015, 19:10   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella59 View Post
We use a sat phone to download weather and upload vital emails when offshore. In port wifi is available at marinas and most beach bars. We use a 5 mile wifi antenna. Check out March issue of crushing world article " the best yet " ph always in touch pg 40. They lay out the communication plan and describe the DeLorme in reach se for global texting. There is also a good website Active Captain check their archived newsletters, lots of them are on tech and communication issues.
As you plan, plan on a lean email address. You don't want to pay for email with pictures and ads.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thank you for the great tips. Will check them out. Sadly, my private business involves daily heavy-megabyte e-mails. Coming and going, day and night. It also reuires full-time Internet access. In reality, I'm truly looking a full satellite set-up, with a hefty monthly charge. That's OK as long as the monthly charge doesn't crest much further north than around $20K.

Thanks again.
Old 24-02-2015, 20:28   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Thank you for the great tips. Will check them out. Sadly, my private business involves daily heavy-megabyte e-mails. Coming and going, day and night. It also reuires full-time Internet access. In reality, I'm truly looking a full satellite set-up, with a hefty monthly charge. That's OK as long as the monthly charge doesn't crest much further north than around $20K.

Thanks again.
I have asked before, how many GB/month, and how fast do you need.

25gig/month runs $5,000/month at 2Mbps/512k and $200/gig for overage

If you want faster speed or more data in the plan you have to go to a 50" antenna you probably can't mount on a boat this size. They also throw in voice calls basically for free.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 20:36   #96

Boat: Able 50

So a guy who doesn't baulk at an annual $240,000 internet bill wants to haggle over a $425,000 boat. This thread is such fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flyingpig.gif
Views:	69
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	97864
Old 24-02-2015, 20:56   #97
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
If you want faster speed or more data in the plan you have to go to a 50" antenna you probably can't mount on a boat this size.
Nah, no problemo... I'm sure such a dome could be easily fitted onto a mounting bracket on top of the stern davits...

They're going to be "heavy duty", after all...

:-)

Old 24-02-2015, 20:56   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 47

Bluebell surely is a stunning boat and I can see where she'd be easy to fall in love with!

But you said you wanted lots of refrigeration and a freezer large enough to provision for a month or more, as well as nearly constant use of satellite internet, but this boat only has a puny 440Amphours in its house bank and no genset. Where will the electricity come from to power your new, large freezer and your internet use?

Also, where on this boat will you put a big satellite antenna without spoiling its looks?

That galley will seem mighty small when it's used every day. There's almost no counter space that isn't above something you'll need to access while using that counterspace.

V-berths have been used for years on boats but if you're like me, you'll get tired of your pillow falling off the end of your bed onto the sole and you'll also get tired of both you and your wife having to climb out over your pillow whenever you have to get up in the night. There will be no such thing as either you or your wife sliding unobtrusively into your own side of the bed after getting up in the night. I've spent many a summer sleeping in V-berths and just spent last week sleeping in one on a Caribbean charter boat, and I sleep fine in them, but for long term living aboard I prefer a bed with a headboard and one that can be accessed from the side or ideally, both sides.

Bluebird is an extremely elegant boat and would be perfect for a couple who only planned to spend a week or so at a time aboard, but for what you say your purposes are, I think you need to look further at something larger and with a much more robust electrical system. If you can singlehand a 42' boat, you can singlehand a 51' boat too so don't be afraid of the size. You just need to get in the habit of always planning a step or two ahead and you sound like you'd do that anyway.
Old 24-02-2015, 21:01   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

1. Oh, but there IS something available right now! In fact, my wife and I have been looking at her for over a month. Her name is "Bluebell", and she is beyond perfect for our needs.

2. Ms. Bluebell plus global communications, extra freezer, washer/dryer, genset, and maxed-out water and fuel capacity would be heaven. (big smiling face)

3. If she's still available in approximately 1.5-2 years, she's ours.

4. And yes, I will hit the current owner with cold cash on the table, yet less than $425K. However, she’s too beautiful and will already have found a new home by then.
1. So why'd you ask in the first place?

2. Happy for you.

3. Keep dreamin' ---if she's that good she won't last, if she does then what kinda TRAP are you buying?

4. Not everything can be done on your SmartPhone on a non-existent nav station table.

For you, I'd suggest two things:

A. Consider containing your apparent ability to conquer all.

B. Listen.

Many of the respondents, that you've thought were sarcastic, were actually trying to TEACH you something.

From their experiences.

Which is what your OQ was, right?

Not so sure about your wife beating, though, when'd you stop?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 21:04   #100

Boat: Able 50

I do hope you guys realize that late at night somewhere far, far away the sound of evil laughter can be heard emanating from mom's dimly lit basement.
Old 24-02-2015, 23:57   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I have asked before, how many GB/month, and how fast do you need.

25gig/month runs $5,000/month at 2Mbps/512k and $200/gig for overage

If you want faster speed or more data in the plan you have to go to a 50" antenna you probably can't mount on a boat this size. They also throw in voice calls basically for free.
Hi Greg,

Those numbers look good. In the best scenario, maritime Net services will drop in price, yet I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, my business is 100% Net based, so I'm going to err on the high side. However, not interested in a 50" antenna, by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks for the details.
Old 25-02-2015, 00:00   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
So a guy who doesn't baulk at an annual $240,000 internet bill wants to haggle over a $425,000 boat. This thread is such fun.

Attachment 97864
You want to pay full price for a used boat, especially in today's market? Please be my guest. In fact, saunter up and take Bluebell. She's only $425K. Why haggle? Have at it!

Net connectivity is a business write-off. My accountant in LA is a gold medalist. Making a little more sense to you now?
Old 25-02-2015, 00:01   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I do hope you guys realize that late at night somewhere far, far away the sound of evil laughter can be heard emanating from mom's dimly lit basement.
What? I cannot hear you.
Old 25-02-2015, 00:03   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
1. So why'd you ask in the first place?

2. Happy for you.

3. Keep dreamin' ---if she's that good she won't last, if she does then what kinda TRAP are you buying?

4. Not everything can be done on your SmartPhone on a non-existent nav station table.

For you, I'd suggest two things:

A. Consider containing your apparent ability to conquer all.

B. Listen.

Many of the respondents, that you've thought were sarcastic, were actually trying to TEACH you something.

From their experiences.

Which is what your OQ was, right?

Not so sure about your wife beating, though, when'd you stop?
You're absolutely correct, Stu. She's the prettiest used Hinckley currently on the market. She will not last.

As for your other comments, well ...
Old 25-02-2015, 00:06   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Nah, no problemo... I'm sure such a dome could be easily fitted onto a mounting bracket on top of the stern davits...

They're going to be "heavy duty", after all...

:-)
Yes, indeed. They will be. If you don't like davits, I suggest you avoid them to keep your chi in balance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: