Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 05:03   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm out of this discussion.

Hubby B: And I'm definitely out. Custom is one thing. Lack of consideration another.
You're both out? Really? OK, that's fine, mostly because people who do not understand different cultures should maybe keep quiet until they gain an appreciation for the differences. Most Americans cannot understand, not saying that you're both Americans. Just guessing. With a heavy dose of experience to temper my guess.

Thanks for your comments.
__________________

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 05:04   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

redundant. The software here should be revised.
__________________

__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 05:13   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
That's actually the exact 59 I was talking about earlier. She's called Zanetia and is currently somewhere in Greece...admittedly not as pretty as an aft cockpit Hinckley but there is an engine room that you can crouch inside and a larger aft cabin with almost double berths on either side and a good size head with a big shower compartment...sadly the accomodation in the forward port and starboard cabins are limited to 4 of the narrowest bunks I've pretty much ever seen on a boat with a tiny head shared by both cabins making this boat really more suited for a cruising couple with occasional guests.
You seem to have a vast knowledge of Hinckley vessels. You've actually spent time on these boats? The owners are your friends? If so, a little more detail is greatly appreciated. For example, how do you know her name?... and how do you know that she now lives in Greece? I was married in Greece. I speak Greek. So please, don't be shy.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 05:42   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
PortClydeMe,

FWIW, we were aboard an Oyster 53 some years back, that had an office built into the stbd side of the captain's cabin. When you talk of running a business, I'm seeing some need for space allocation for (ugh!) paper records, and room to set out "stuff".

If, for you, money truly is not a problem with this, then perhaps have a purpose-built yacht designed with meeting your criteria in mind. Not sure you can do it in 54 ft., but maybe in 60, and almost certainly in 80. Then you can specify the mahogany and teak, etc. and everything else as well.

Ann

Hi Ann, thanks for your cogent and detailed reply. Actually, I will not need any dedicated "office" space. My business is run completely from a laptop computer, which can be positioned anywhere. A saloon table. A nav station. A topside foldout teak table. A Swiss chalet. Anywhere. Thus, there is no paperwork, and most fun, only one employee. Me. When I was young, I could never have imagined such a "low overhead" business. It was beyond my imagination. Luckily, times have changed. Greatly. My business is 100% contained within a laptop computer, with a few external hard drives for insurance. its very fun, in comparison to the days of old, which required a brick & mortar structure, or, as you commented, a dedicated space on the boat.

Again, thanks.

best,

John
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 06:26   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 995
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Hi from yet another fellow Maineiac from just up Pen bay a bit. I lived aboard for 5 seasons in SW Harbor and used the Hinckley dock for my dinghy so got pretty familiar with them during that time. Prior to that, I owned/sailed a Pilot 35. They certainly are beautiful boats and I think you can find just what you are looking for, but it doesn't sound to me like a SW42 will even come close to meeting all your requirements for fuel and provisions storage due to its small size. But something between 51' and 65' should work great for you. I think it was eleuthera who recommended that you speak to John Pratt or Bob Pooler and I'd second that. Pratt worked his way up and was asst head of Hinckley service at one time. He's always been very hands on with a very quick mind and tons of common sense, and he's also a very nice guy. On the sales side of things, in addition to Bob Pooler, I'd recommend you speak to Phil Bennett who I believe is currently the VP of the whole company but used to be a salesman and then sales manager. Both Bob and Phil know pretty much all there is to know about every Hinckley built over the last 30 years or so and both are the furthest thing from the used car salesman type OR Hinckley snob stereotype. Both are true gentlemen and very experienced, knowledgeable, sailors and I'm sure would be happy to help you find just the right Hinckley for YOU. Give them a call and explain your tentative time frame and begin an ongoing dialogue so you can get a feel for each other. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck!
__________________
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:11   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
You're both out? Really? OK, that's fine, mostly because people who do not understand different cultures should maybe keep quiet until they gain an appreciation for the differences. Most Americans cannot understand, not saying that you're both Americans. Just guessing. With a heavy dose of experience to temper my guess.

Thanks for your comments.
Subservient is culture. Total lack of consideration is not. I fully understand the different cultures but that doesn't mean I find it ok to dehumanize or not care whether one might have a problem with seasickness. I don't accept treating another human being as a possession. Yes, we are both Americans and while there are many things I would not defend out country on and some I even find offensive, if treating my wife with love and respect, treating her in every way as my equal (although honestly I consider her to be my superior when it comes to many things), if showing compassion for a carsick child, if worrying about someone new to boating enjoying it, if respecting the equality and the value in every human being classify me as an American, then for that I'm proud.

We tried to simply state we were bowing out of this, but then your remark that stated the problem was ours for not understanding your cultural differences and we should keep quiet is a total misstatement. We understand and we will make our opinions clear. Don't you dare imply we're somehow ignorant. No, we fully understand other cultures and many are more extreme than yours in denying the rights of females and even cruel and inhumane treatment of females and using either cultural differences or religion to justify it.

Label me all you want, but I believe in human rights, the rights of all humans.

Now I'll drop this topic from further discussion if you also do, but I will not either here or anywhere else fail to speak up on this subject.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:30   #82
Registered User
 
Scout 30's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: Scout 30
Posts: 2,359
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

I couldn't agree with Band B more. The OP's comments were reprehensible.
__________________
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:31   #83
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mallorca
Boat: Dragon
Posts: 82
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
You seem to have a vast knowledge of Hinckley vessels. You've actually spent time on these boats? The owners are your friends? If so, a little more detail is greatly appreciated. For example, how do you know her name?... and how do you know that she now lives in Greece? I was married in Greece. I speak Greek. So please, don't be shy.
Years ago I was pretty much the go to Hinckley delivery guy. I ended up skipper of that very 59 for a couple of years befor moving onto a 70 for another couple of years.
So yes, I'm pretty familiar with Hinckleys and know many of the owners and the guys at SWH.
__________________
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:38   #84
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

As a sailing couple bit by the got to have a Hinckley, we are on our second Hinckley. The first was a SW51 which makes a nice crushing vessel but falls short in a couple of areas. Water capacity, fuel capacity and freezer space.
Used Hinckley's have for the most part been maintained, more like cared for like small puppies. They are loaded with battery storage and generators to run the masses of equipment that provide for your creature comforts; AC, lots of nav electronics, auto pilot, hot water heaters, vacuflush heads, heaters and water makers. The water maker allows you to overcome the generous but limited water capacity of around 175 gallons. That may sound like a lot but the the two heads will use up 40 of those gallons. we converted our fridge and freezer from the old plate and massive compressor to a frigaboat with a tiny football sized compressor that uses almost no electricity. The original freezer and fridge ran only when motoring or when the genset was on.
The answer to more fuel is not as easy... Some, when comfortable with making water, convert one of the water tanks to fuel.
Our solution was to buy a geezer boat, everything push button, so we bought a SW59 more space, over 300 gals of water and fuel and twice the fridge and freezer space. Single handing a 59 is a chore but replacing the drum on the jib with an electric furler and your there.

If you have any questions about Hinckley's and our experience I'd be happy to help!
The boat I owned before I bought the Hinckley 51 was a 14 foot Hobie, fun in spades!!



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Arabella59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:19   #85
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,471
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I couldn't agree with Band B more. The OP's comments were reprehensible.
Agreed!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:49   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mallorca
Boat: Dragon
Posts: 82
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

I'm really happy to see Arabella sailing again!
A lovely boat.
__________________
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 14:05   #87
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella59 View Post
As a sailing couple bit by the got to have a Hinckley, we are on our second Hinckley. The first was a SW51 which makes a nice crushing vessel but falls short in a couple of areas. Water capacity, fuel capacity and freezer space.
Used Hinckley's have for the most part been maintained, more like cared for like small puppies. They are loaded with battery storage and generators to run the masses of equipment that provide for your creature comforts; AC, lots of nav electronics, auto pilot, hot water heaters, vacuflush heads, heaters and water makers. The water maker allows you to overcome the generous but limited water capacity of around 175 gallons. That may sound like a lot but the the two heads will use up 40 of those gallons. we converted our fridge and freezer from the old plate and massive compressor to a frigaboat with a tiny football sized compressor that uses almost no electricity. The original freezer and fridge ran only when motoring or when the genset was on.
The answer to more fuel is not as easy... Some, when comfortable with making water, convert one of the water tanks to fuel.
Our solution was to buy a geezer boat, everything push button, so we bought a SW59 more space, over 300 gals of water and fuel and twice the fridge and freezer space. Single handing a 59 is a chore but replacing the drum on the jib with an electric furler and your there.

If you have any questions about Hinckley's and our experience I'd be happy to help!
The boat I owned before I bought the Hinckley 51 was a 14 foot Hobie, fun in spades!!



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thank you for chiming in, Arabella59. Excellent info, and much what I expected. You touched on all of the key points that I need to address, except for near and offshore global communications. I'm still working out the details of the latter.

Thanks again.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 14:08   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
Years ago I was pretty much the go to Hinckley delivery guy. I ended up skipper of that very 59 for a couple of years befor moving onto a 70 for another couple of years.
So yes, I'm pretty familiar with Hinckleys and know many of the owners and the guys at SWH.
Interesting. Sounds like a fun life. Another poster mentioned that many of the key SWH employees jumped ship and swam down the coast to Morris. Is that true?
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 14:16   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Hi from yet another fellow Maineiac from just up Pen bay a bit. I lived aboard for 5 seasons in SW Harbor and used the Hinckley dock for my dinghy so got pretty familiar with them during that time. Prior to that, I owned/sailed a Pilot 35. They certainly are beautiful boats and I think you can find just what you are looking for, but it doesn't sound to me like a SW42 will even come close to meeting all your requirements for fuel and provisions storage due to its small size. But something between 51' and 65' should work great for you. I think it was eleuthera who recommended that you speak to John Pratt or Bob Pooler and I'd second that. Pratt worked his way up and was asst head of Hinckley service at one time. He's always been very hands on with a very quick mind and tons of common sense, and he's also a very nice guy. On the sales side of things, in addition to Bob Pooler, I'd recommend you speak to Phil Bennett who I believe is currently the VP of the whole company but used to be a salesman and then sales manager. Both Bob and Phil know pretty much all there is to know about every Hinckley built over the last 30 years or so and both are the furthest thing from the used car salesman type OR Hinckley snob stereotype. Both are true gentlemen and very experienced, knowledgeable, sailors and I'm sure would be happy to help you find just the right Hinckley for YOU. Give them a call and explain your tentative time frame and begin an ongoing dialogue so you can get a feel for each other. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. Excellent info. As I stated previously, I'm two years out, as I have other considerations I need to first wrap up. Also, I doubt that I will purchase a NEW boat, merely due the cost savings. I'm doing OK, but not "super-custom new Hinckley $$$$" OK. I'm comfortable at around $400K, and even that's a little more than I wish to spend. I'm a little stingy.

Maine people with "a very quick mind and tons of common sense"? Hard to believe! (joking )

Thanks again.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 15:41   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Penobscot Bay, Maine
Boat: Tayana 47
Posts: 995
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Thanks for your reply. Excellent info. As I stated previously, I'm two years out, as I have other considerations I need to first wrap up. Also, I doubt that I will purchase a NEW boat, merely due the cost savings. I'm doing OK, but not "super-custom new Hinckley $$$$" OK. I'm comfortable at around $400K, and even that's a little more than I wish to spend. I'm a little stingy.

Maine people with "a very quick mind and tons of common sense"? Hard to believe! (joking )

Thanks again.
Two years out is perfect timing to begin the discussion with them. Let them know up front that is your time frame but that you are serious. If there's nothing available right now that will suit your needs, they will know of current Hinckley owners who are thinking of selling or trading for a motorboat but don't want every tire kicker out there tromping through their boat and they will keep you in mind when one of them who owns a boat you might like decides to sell. Seriously, if I were you, I'd get in touch with Bob or Phil and let them know what you're thinking and what your price range is. It can't hurt. I can guarantee you that either of them will be truthful and courteous and won't try to make you feel like a cheapskate because you're not ordering a new one. They will use their knowledge of the market and available Hinckley yachts to try to get you what you want. At $400K you should be able to get a used boat that will fit your needs. Keep in mind that asking price and selling price are two different things, especially in this market so don't be afraid to consider boats that are initially listed for as much as 50% over your budget.
__________________

__________________
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yellow fever vaccine and malaria pills in Morocco? Sailormantx Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 6 16-12-2014 09:54
Active Captain - Ramblings of a User CaptTom Navigation 52 12-09-2014 13:58
Any Opinions or First-Hand Knowledge on Hinckley 49' ? Michael Klautky Monohull Sailboats 16 17-10-2011 08:35
Hinckley Bermuda 40 vs Tartan 37 endurance Monohull Sailboats 58 16-10-2010 04:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.