Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 15:23   #61
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl
Re: Hinckley fever, and other ramblings ...

Good sir,
One more suggestion. If you persist with the dream of owning a Hinckley, I might speak with Mr. Robert Pooler at Hinckley in SW Harbor. He deals in Hinckley's, such as you describe, with great frequency. He owned a pilot 35 for several years, and is their leading broker in sailboats.
Then, perhaps, also speak with Mr. John Pratt at Atlantic Boat Co. John grew up in the Hinckley yard as a frisky lad, and has a most encyclopedic memory of any Hinckley ever built from the mid -seventies onward. He is presently the general manager at Atlantic Boat. He spent more than 30 years at the Hinckley yard, building just about all the ones that may be suitable for your arrangements. He is most amenable to conversation regarding Hinckley's.
As a suitable measure of endorsement, I've owned many sailboats. I fully intend to die having lashed myself to the helm of my 45 custom yawl. Thence, it shall be bequeathed to my heirs, and ne'er sold...
mnh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-1.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	97785  
mnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 17:17   #62

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

John (OP) - I know your disease well. For years all I (and my wife) wanted was a Hinckley and knew we'd have one in retirement, which we expected would happen in our mid 50's. At around 50 we started our shopping seriously including going to the factory in Maine to start to spec out our dream boat. Well life changes happened, I got one of those really scary diagnosis, and everything (and every dream) went on hold. I got through it, got healthy and quit working at 51. I had sold my company three years earlier but was still running it for the new parent, but happily didn't really need to work anymore, and left.

The hold lasted for about a year but also somehow shook sense into us. I started considering all options and most importantly went to the big boat shows, especially the brokerage shows of older boats. There's a saying in Newport that there are no ugly boats allowed there. The harbor is a beautiful place, and the brokerage show there is a collection of gracefully aging beauty queens - including Hinckleys. So I've been on every size production Hinckley and obsessed over the choices. While I have to agree that there may be no semi-custom production boat as pretty from the outside there are definitely better boats of the same class on the inside - both aesthetically and practically.

We turned off our build-our-own plan and started to work with a broker from the old Hinckley brokerage. He made a comment that really stuck with me - because of those beautiful long overhangs that distinguish a Hinckley you get about 20% less boat on the inside. So a 50 footer is more like a 40 footer for living space. Something similar has been said above and it is completely accurate. The 40/41/42 and 52 are surprisingly small inside, especially the sleeping cabins. Only the 59 seemed livable to us (with similar dreams to yours except our plan is to be disconnected as much as possible!). And the 59 just seemed too big to handle by the two of us. But for you, if your Hinckely obsession holds, it's probably your only choice.

Our search led us to Little Harbors (a Ted Hood company acquired by Hinckley in the 90's). See post 45 about FlightPlan's 58 footer. When we had our candidate 46 footer surveyed a comment the surveyor made was "Ted Hood was the master at stuffing a 60 foot boat into a 46 foot hull." That made me laugh, but it's true. I'm sure there are plenty more boats that could say the same, but the LH's also very much hold up in the "beautiful" category both inside and out, and are truly built as world cruisers. They also, at least in New England, have as a respectable a heritage as Hinckley's. I haven't looked but I'm sure there are some beautiful examples on YachtWorld. I'm not trying to sell you an LH, but just tell my tale and point out there might be equally wonderful choices for you.

Now, our Hinckley obsession didn't exactly go away and I still have a pang of excitement and a little envy whenever I see one (but no regrets). My wife and I still fully plan to own one some day, but it will be a power boat after we can no longer press the buttons to handle our sails.

Finally I'll add that it took as three good years to really to get know our boat after we bought it. Over the winters I personally gutted and replaced all the electronics (B&G), refrigeration systems (Frigoboat), and sanitation piping, as well as a lot more. And we sailed a lot in the summers. Now we're fully comfortable to sail her anywhere and will make our first Newport to Bermuda run, and back, this June. Just something for you to think about timing-wise as you plan you adventures.

All very exciting.

Good luck,

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 17:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
It is interesting that a lot of posters want to tell OP what to do. He has the money, has the time, he wants a Hinckley. I am sure he can get a lot better advice about getting what he wants from the people that make it there business to satisfy and/or educate new owners with lots of money.
I am being the devils advocate but I see things a little different at times. I saw Walter Conkrite on his 72 Hinckley once. He thought he was sailing his boat. His crew was doing everything and he was setting at the helm. He had been told that a man his age could not sail that big of a boat. He could not but he sure thought he could.
I met a Morris owner that took a 3 day sailing lesson and then bought a 42 foot Morris day sailor. I saw him at his second spring on the boat and I had to show him how to have his engine instruments come on after starting the boat.
My thought is more power to them. They have the money and they are enjoying it. They are also sharing their money with the rest of us by spending more foolish than we would.
Last thought is that I do not think there are any Hinckley family members involved at all now. Morris hired all the best sail people from Hinckley.
rdw
Want a good Walter Cronkite story? Here ya go.

Back in the '70s when we weren't out sailing, we would sit around the radio at our house in Port Clyde and listen to ship-to-shore conversations for fun. One night, Walter Cronkite radios the Camden Marine Operator requesting to be patched into a phone number to make a call. Back in those days, there was only hi-band, so if you wanted to make a phone call you would call the marine operator and place a call. The great thing was that we could listen to the complete phone conversation after she made the connection. Great stuff, indeed! When Walter finished his call, he thanked the operator for her help, to which she dryly responded with her Maine wit "And that's the way it is!" (Walter's nightly news sign-off)

We had a big laugh!

On another occasion, we heard Gary Moore (the game show host of "What's My Line" who had a place in Northeast Harbor) call the Bar Harbor Harbor Master from his boat saying "Hi, this is Gary Moore, and we'll be arriving in about 30 minutes." After a long pause, the Harbor Master replies (again, in Maine style humor) "That's pretty short notice for a brass band."

We had another big laugh.

Ahhhh. The old days. Miss them greatly sometimes.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 17:48   #64

Boat: Scout 30

Funny
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 18:02   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Funny
Indeed, it was! After she dryly zinged Walter with his nightly news sign-off you could hear him breaking into a huge laugh, in that deep baritone voice of his. It was really funny. Today, there's a lot missing from the times when people had Dean Martin style wit and humor, and men were real gentlemen. Much of that has now "sailed away", sadly.
Old 23-02-2015, 18:18   #66
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
My wife has never sailed. She's good to go psychologically, yet I cannot count on her for anything more than galley duties.
Hmmm, the first bout of seasickness could change that calculus in a hurry... Might want to confirm she's not susceptible, especially when she's cooking, before cutting that first check to the Hinckley Company :-)

Quote:
I envision davits (heavy duty ones!)...
I'd say if there might be one thing guaranteed to make old Henry turn over in his grave, it might be bolting on a set of davits, or a stern arch, onto the stern of a beauty as perfect as a SW 42...

I've never seen one so equipped, and I hope I never do... :-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 18:33   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Hmmm, the first bout of seasickness could change that calculus in a hurry... Might want to confirm she's not susceptible, especially when she's cooking, before cutting that first check to the Hinckley Company :-)
What's a check? Haven't seen one of them in 15 years. I thought they went the way of rotary telephone dials. Shows what I know!

Joking aside, you are very right. Not only seasickness, yet maybe no great thrill with being out on the water. Time will tell. The boat will be purchased, and sailed, regardless. She knows who's "writing the CHECKS."

Quote:
I'd say if there might be one thing guaranteed to make old Henry turn over in his grave, it might be bolting on a set of davits, or a stern arch, onto the stern of a beauty as perfect as a SW 42...

I've never seen one so equipped, and I hope I never do... :-)

Really? I have. In fact, I'll never forget that first time I say a beautiful ketch slowly motoring past us with a beautiful "Old Town" style tender neatly tucked high up over the transom on solid davits. I thought "Wow, those folks must have some serious money. Most people tow their tender.

As for Hank, well, the yard is not the same one he built or envisioned, so he'll probably forgive this wayward child from Maine attaching some nice davits. Better than a solar farm littered with gull poo.
Old 23-02-2015, 19:23   #68
Eternal Member

Quote:

Really? I have. In fact, I'll never forget that first time I say a beautiful ketch slowly motoring past us with a beautiful "Old Town" style tender neatly tucked high up over the transom on solid davits. I thought "Wow, those folks must have some serious money. Most people tow their tender.
On the larger boats, particularly the center cockpits, sure, there are some out there...

But I've spent a bit of time in Maine over the years, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen davits on an aft cockpit Hinckley under 50 feet... mnh would have a better idea than I, however...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 19:29   #69

Boat: Various

Quote:
My wife has never sailed. She's good to go psychologically, yet I cannot count on her for anything more than galley duties. Maybe in time, who knows. Thus, it will be me alone at the helm.
Wifey B: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Your wife has never sailed. I'd suggest first thing is to charter and take her sailing. How can she be good to go psychologically when she has no idea what it's like. Looks nice and smooth when watching but what about 10-12' or bigger waves? What if she is one of these who gets terribly sea sick and nothing for it works? Really, you can't hold her to something that she doesn't have the experience to really commit to. Hopefully she loves it. I love boating and I'm a 200 Ton Master and many women here are sailing crazy, but a lot of women do not like it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 19:41   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Your wife has never sailed. I'd suggest first thing is to charter and take her sailing. How can she be good to go psychologically when she has no idea what it's like. Looks nice and smooth when watching but what about 10-12' or bigger waves? What if she is one of these who gets terribly sea sick and nothing for it works? Really, you can't hold her to something that she doesn't have the experience to really commit to. Hopefully she loves it. I love boating and I'm a 200 Ton Master and many women here are sailing crazy, but a lot of women do not like it.
You're maybe going to hate this reply, yet here it is. The relationship, by western standards, is unique. Rule number one in Japan, passed down from mother to daughter: "Never complain, ever, and never make daddy upset."

Kind of reminds me of when my sister used to get sick on long car drives. Do you think my mother let her stay home? Nope! She shoved 2 Dramamine down her throat and said "Be quiet."

Divorce lawyers are pricey! That's why I refuse to step within 500 yards of western women. Another cool fact about Japanese wives? It's considered a major, major sin to divorce. Like disgracing your mom's mother's, mother's, mother. Rarely seen.

She'll have fun. Don't chya worry. She likes making daddy happy.
Old 23-02-2015, 19:44   #71

Quote:
I've spent a bit of time in Maine over the years, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen davits on an aft cockpit Hinckley under 50 feet... mnh would have a better idea than I, however...
I'm from Maine, and I have. Variety is the spice of sea life. Ever eaten whale? It's yummy!
Old 23-02-2015, 20:37   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

PortClydeMe,

FWIW, we were aboard an Oyster 53 some years back, that had an office built into the stbd side of the captain's cabin. When you talk of running a business, I'm seeing some need for space allocation for (ugh!) paper records, and room to set out "stuff".

If, for you, money truly is not a problem with this, then perhaps have a purpose-built yacht designed with meeting your criteria in mind. Not sure you can do it in 54 ft., but maybe in 60, and almost certainly in 80. Then you can specify the mahogany and teak, etc. and everything else as well.

Ann
Old 23-02-2015, 22:16   #73

Boat: Various

Quote:
You're maybe going to hate this reply, yet here it is. The relationship, by western standards, is unique. Rule number one in Japan, passed down from mother to daughter: "Never complain, ever, and never make daddy upset."

Kind of reminds me of when my sister used to get sick on long car drives. Do you think my mother let her stay home? Nope! She shoved 2 Dramamine down her throat and said "Be quiet."

Divorce lawyers are pricey! That's why I refuse to step within 500 yards of western women. Another cool fact about Japanese wives? It's considered a major, major sin to divorce. Like disgracing your mom's mother's, mother's, mother. Rarely seen.

She'll have fun. Don't chya worry. She likes making daddy happy.
Wifey B: I'm out of this discussion.

Hubby B: And I'm definitely out. Custom is one thing. Lack of consideration another.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 23:39   #74

Boat: Dragon

Quote:
On the larger boats, particularly the center cockpits, sure, there are some out there...

But I've spent a bit of time in Maine over the years, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen davits on an aft cockpit Hinckley under 50 feet... mnh would have a better idea than I, however...
That's actually the exact 59 I was talking about earlier. She's called Zanetia and is currently somewhere in Greece...admittedly not as pretty as an aft cockpit Hinckley but there is an engine room that you can crouch inside and a larger aft cabin with almost double berths on either side and a good size head with a big shower compartment...sadly the accomodation in the forward port and starboard cabins are limited to 4 of the narrowest bunks I've pretty much ever seen on a boat with a tiny head shared by both cabins making this boat really more suited for a cruising couple with occasional guests.
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 00:33   #75

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

DuctTape:

You have PM!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote