Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 07:04   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
here's one off google: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Beaauutiifuull..
Reminds me of the classic S&S Swans of late 60's and early 70's..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:07   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
How about a Mason 44 video?

Again (IMO), every bit as pretty as the B40 and probably better suited for cruising. Willow is now named Dark Star, and will be cruising the Exumas this winter.
Thank you, I will watch later with a better internet connection. .
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:09   #48

Boat: no boat any more

2 observations:
1: how does one make absolutely sure only ever to be knocked down to port?
2: this is the result when unconditional love gets confronted with the realities of cruising-life (this stern-cruising-junk doesn't look nice on any boat, but on such a beauty its an unforgivable sin!)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:19   #49

Boat: 41' yawl

Don't forget the Rhodes Reliant.

"The only boat prettier than a B40" - anonymous (ok it was me)

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:26   #50

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

The Hinckley might pose a few challenges regarding outfitting for a cruising lifestyle, but if you get that special feeling when thinking about the boat, then I say pull the trigger and do it. The Bermuda 40 has so much character, soul and style and will always be one of the legends of the sailboat world.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:48   #51

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

There are boats to dream about long distance cruising with, and there are boats to do long distance cruising with.

A B40 is a great boat to dream about.

I believe the best use of a B40 is seasonal, where in the off-season you can pamper your baby.

The split rig wouldn't scare me off one bit.

Can you go far in a B40? Sure you can. There are other boats that will be more comfortable on the crew and the owner's checkbook, but not many others with such classic beauty.

Sailing isn't about making purely rational choices. Most agree that the easiest and fastest way to cross an ocean is in a Boeing, not a Hinckley. Long distance, long term cruising is a balance, though, of the emotional aspects with the practical. A B40 is not entirely impractical, it simply is less practical than many other options.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:03   #52

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

You will give up some upwind ability with a ketch due to windage and sails blanketing each other, but this doesn't matter much in the trade winds. And you get millions of advantages, plus lots of different sails to play with -- not just the mizzen, but fisherman, mizzen staysail; one guy on here even flies two (!) symmetrical spinnakers on his ketch. Fisherman and mizzen staysail are superlative trade winds sails.....
And where are you going to store those lots of sails? This boat will already be full with cruising gear for two.

I don't buy the we-want-a-great-bluewater-boat and then start in with the going to windward doesn't matter when cruising the tradewind routes arguments
Old 16-09-2016, 08:07   #53

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Let's not forget the one really great perk about that boat... once you get it you will be immediately a member in good standing of the Plastic Classics social group here!
Ok, I know, shameless plug. But this week's promotional prize, especially for CCA boats, a set of suction cup beer holders that say "my boat is well-heeled."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:12   #54

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
2 observations:
1: how does one make absolutely sure only ever to be knocked down to port?
2: this is the result when unconditional love gets confronted with the realities of cruising-life (this stern-cruising-junk doesn't look nice on any boat, but on such a beauty its an unforgivable sin!)
Are you talking about my Mason 44 here with the offset companionway to starboard? The companionway isn't that far off the centerline (unlike the M43), and in bad weather where knockdown would be a risk, the hatchboards should be in place with the companionway properly secured. Secondly, as for the "cruising junk" on the stern, either set the boat up for cruising and cruise it, or set it up for dock-o-minium work and do that with it. I plan to cruise mine, and despite the davits, dinghy, solar panel, radar and rail-mounted outboard, she's still BY FAR the prettiest boat in her marina. Just my opinion of course, but I can't climb aboard the boat without someone commenting on her.

Do you think she looks ruined by the davits and electronics on her stern?
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:19   #55

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Curious why you feel that way - I go jib + jigger all the time on a Rhodes Reliant. It's an incredibly useful option. I understand that a yawl is not an ideal rig for a number of reasons, but don't understand folks downplaying the benefit of jib+jigger on them. Just the other night I was doing a close reach into 22kts apparent at about 7kts... The rail was in the water (~30 degree heel) and I was getting tired. I dropped the main, resumed at 6kts with less than 15 degree heel. So nice.
I only say it from my experience with me 1966 Tartan Blackwatch 37. The mizzen was small as they usually are on a Yawl. So the center of effort on each sail is some distance away from one another. The jib and the mizzen being of different areas (sq.ft.) the effect of wind increasing or decreasing changes the lift on each sail differently. When I ran a windvane, I was constantly adjusting it. Long distances where the wind is better regulated, the problem is not as bad but in a bay where the winds change constantly, it was a pain at times.
My Ingrid Ketch was not as bad but compared to my little sloop now, its a dream. The mast is further forward than a cutter and I find I use the jib by itself a lot.
I guess with roller furling adjusting sails is not that bad but on a yawl to run forward to change a jib can be a pain.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:36   #56

Wonderful boat, yes. But very, very overpriced considering some alternatives built to compete during that era. Case in point our Tartan Classic 37' Ted Hood sloop. Also set up to take yawl rig, as most of the first 15 hulls were. See Blackwatch/Tartan Classic. Moving to larger boat to satisfy our 10 grandkids, we have Alida available in Rockport ME for an alternative. Her sister hull circumnavigated for 2 years. You will want to contact us as Alida is completely refit including new Yanmar and all the goodies you need and seem to like. 603 582 1426
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 08:45   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I only say it from my experience with me 1966 Tartan Blackwatch 37. The mizzen was small as they usually are on a Yawl. So the center of effort on each sail is some distance away from one another. The jib and the mizzen being of different areas (sq.ft.) the effect of wind increasing or decreasing changes the lift on each sail differently. When I ran a windvane, I was constantly adjusting it. Long distances where the wind is better regulated, the problem is not as bad but in a bay where the winds change constantly, it was a pain at times.
My Ingrid Ketch was not as bad but compared to my little sloop now, its a dream. The mast is further forward than a cutter and I find I use the jib by itself a lot.
I guess with roller furling adjusting sails is not that bad but on a yawl to run forward to change a jib can be a pain.
Maybe that is why the yawl rig was not employed on the 2 Tartan Blackwatch/Classics we know.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:46   #58

Alida
Old 16-09-2016, 09:09   #59

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Valiant79 View Post
Maybe that is why the yawl rig was not employed on the 2 Tartan Blackwatch/Classics we know.
Well they came either way. Some folks raced them exclusively and as I understand it, the yawl rig was a way to cheat the boats rating.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:13   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well they came either way. Some folks raced them exclusively and as I understand it, the yawl rig was a way to cheat the boats rating.
Right the Blackwatch hull before ours won both the Marion-Bermuda and Marblehead-Halifax races in her time. They must have fit out their yawl rig!

Tags
Bermuda, cruise, cruiser, water