Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 21:47   #91
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,475
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
ha ha. I laughed when I read the posts above where all these people apparently would sail across the pacific as the OP stated he wanted but would avoid solar panels, any sails on deck, radar or other ugly cruising equipment because it doesnt look good to their eye. Me, I am glad to be self sufficient and have lots of redundancy. And maybe even a life raft God forbid, on the deck even! Maybe even some extra fuel! In the middle of the ocean nobody is looking at your boat but these things are kind of nice to have. And I bet the other boats in the anchorage will have them too. It is one thing to race around the cans or even to Bermuda. It is quite another to "cruise the Pacific"

After all, isnt this "Cruisers Forum"?
Pretty sure you're mis reading all the posts. People are saying you could do blue water on the boat, but to make it comfortable, you'd have to make it ugly by adding stuff. Pretty is the only reason to own the boat. Therefore, don't blue water the boat.

Nobody is saying cruising boats shouldn't carry "stuff".

Matt
__________________

__________________
MJSailing.com - Wife's blog about our
cruising.
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 21:58   #92
Registered User
 
Bermuda Forte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Here's the name of the couple I was referencing:

1996 Blue Water Medal:

Rhodora BOB & BETH LUX U.S.A. For a 7-year, 53,000-mile circumnavigation on a Bermuda 40 that included both coasts of South America and Cape Horn, the Pacific Islands, Indonesia, the Red Sea, the canals of France, the Orkney Islands, Iceland, and Greenland before returning back to Quissett, Massachusetts with seamanship and love of adventure intact. Hinckley B-40 yawl fiberglass (designed by Tripp Sr.) 1970



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 23:04   #93
Registered User
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 2,779
Images: 16
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
In the end, buy what you fall in love with. Regardless of practicality, really. You will be much happier and all shortcomings will be gotten around. When it comes to a boat, follow your heart.
Yes, I think that is the best advice of all.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 04:37   #94
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,509
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Forte View Post
Here's the name of the couple I was referencing:

1996 Blue Water Medal:

Rhodora BOB & BETH LUX U.S.A. For a 7-year, 53,000-mile circumnavigation on a Bermuda 40 that included both coasts of South America and Cape Horn, the Pacific Islands, Indonesia, the Red Sea, the canals of France, the Orkney Islands, Iceland, and Greenland before returning back to Quissett, Massachusetts with seamanship and love of adventure intact. Hinckley B-40 yawl fiberglass (designed by Tripp Sr.) 1970



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
'Nuff said.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 04:49   #95
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,920
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Pretty sure you're mis reading all the posts. People are saying you could do blue water on the boat, but to make it comfortable, you'd have to make it ugly by adding stuff. Pretty is the only reason to own the boat. Therefore, don't blue water the boat.

Nobody is saying cruising boats shouldn't carry "stuff".

Matt
I think you've correctly interpreted all the posts in this thread.

But I would go further and say a word against having junk piles built up over the after deck or hanging off the transom. All this not only looks ugly, but it adds windage and harms stability of the boat.

Different cruisers have different priorities, but if you care about sailing performance, think twice about these kind of installations. Solar power is a marvelous thing, but the cost in windage is huge.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 05:45   #96
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 2,608
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
In the end, buy what you fall in love with. Regardless of practicality, really. You will be much happier and all shortcomings will be gotten around. When it comes to a boat, follow your heart.
I think this is important point, the boat has to feel right for you, you can go anywhere on just about any boat, so it is really about what you want and the amount of comforts you 'need'.

I love the look of them, I really like the yawl rig, except the way it screws with a windvane, though it can be done, you just need to fold the vane during a tack or gybe.

Sometimes a pretty and unique boat can be very practical, eg when you pull into a strange port, the pretty boat can open doors that a more common boat won't.

Bit of a change from your Blue Moon Yawl?
__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 06:37   #97
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,475
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think you've correctly interpreted all the posts in this thread.

But I would go further and say a word against having junk piles built up over the after deck or hanging off the transom. All this not only looks ugly, but it adds windage and harms stability of the boat.

Different cruisers have different priorities, but if you care about sailing performance, think twice about these kind of installations. Solar power is a marvelous thing, but the cost in windage is huge.
That's pretty difficult for a boat in this size range with the power needs of a liveaboard.
__________________
MJSailing.com - Wife's blog about our
cruising.
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 06:46   #98
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,920
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Forte View Post
Here's the name of the couple I was referencing:

1996 Blue Water Medal:

Rhodora BOB & BETH LUX U.S.A. For a 7-year, 53,000-mile circumnavigation on a Bermuda 40 that included both coasts of South America and Cape Horn, the Pacific Islands, Indonesia, the Red Sea, the canals of France, the Orkney Islands, Iceland, and Greenland before returning back to Quissett, Massachusetts with seamanship and love of adventure intact. Hinckley B-40 yawl fiberglass (designed by Tripp Sr.) 1970

Well, people have crossed the Atlantic in rowboats, and this Hungarian guy Aron Meder circumnavigated in this 19' thing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ledaruzas01.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	131259

Földkörüli szóló-vitorlázás Carinával (6 m), Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19 ft boat)

after removing and discarding the engine

The fact that someone has done it, doesn't mean it's the optimum tool for the job.


That being said -- of course you can go world cruising in a B40. It will be very cramped compared to less pretty but more modern boats. This kind of hull form likes to heel, and life on a long passage at 20 degrees or more is very hard. There is extremely little storage or tankage for this kind of sailing. It will be extremely slow compared to modern boats with a LWL of only 29', and a full keel. D/L is almost 400.


But as several other people have said -- what is practical, is not the only thing which is important. There's something to be said for following your passion even contrary to practical considerations.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 06:51   #99
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,920
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
That's pretty difficult for a boat in this size range with the power needs of a liveaboard.
Yes, I agree.

There are a lot of difficult tradeoffs, and the smaller the boat, the more difficult the tradeoffs.

But if you're going the full passion-over-practicality route, you can always go with oil lamps and ice boxes.


And I'm not joking -- if I were going world cruising with a boat like this, where romance trumps everything, I think I would definitely want to go the oil lamps low tech route. I think someone above said that it would be silly to choose a boat based on her breathtaking retro beauty, then hang a bunch of cruiser junk all over her. I agree!
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 07:20   #100
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,402
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

There are tons of butt ugly cruising boats out here, some almost look like playground equipment but they are practicle and get the job done. Most people are not interested in beautiful things, think Cats. The B 40 is a beautiful boat basically a work of art and like others have said will probably be around 100 years from now all carefully restored. These boats are all about pride of ownership and are timeless in design compared to modern boats that age quickly to the eye as one design fad follows the other. Yes you can sail around the world in almost anything but only a few on well found boats go via the great capes which is an entirely different game so no comparison really. Would not be my choice as a cruising boat today but if I was younger maybe?
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 11:24   #101
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,509
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
That's pretty difficult for a boat in this size range with the power needs of a liveaboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, I agree.

There are a lot of difficult tradeoffs, and the smaller the boat, the more difficult the tradeoffs.

But if you're going the full passion-over-practicality route, you can always go with oil lamps and ice boxes.


And I'm not joking -- if I were going world cruising with a boat like this, where romance trumps everything, I think I would definitely want to go the oil lamps low tech route. I think someone above said that it would be silly to choose a boat based on her breathtaking retro beauty, then hang a bunch of cruiser junk all over her. I agree!
I also agree, esp. when there are modern alternatives to the cruiser "stuff" hanging off the back in the form of compact generators, flexible non-skid solar panels you can walk on, small inflatable dinghies which don't require davits, wind generators that can be mounted on the mizzen mast in this case, and more efficient battery & inverter technologies. Or you can forego solar & wind altogether and rely on your engine alternator (and a spare!) as cruisers did before such things became viable.

But that's just my subjective opinion and different cruisers have different needs & wants. Good discussion about the various trade-offs.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:20   #102
Registered User
 
jalmberg's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntington NY
Boat: Tom Gilmer 23-foot Blue Moon Yawl
Posts: 32
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
if I were going world cruising with a boat like this, where romance trumps everything, I think I would definitely want to go the oil lamps low tech route. I think someone above said that it would be silly to choose a boat based on her breathtaking retro beauty, then hang a bunch of cruiser junk all over her. I agree!
I guess I should have emphasized in my first post that I'm a very low tech sailor. I'm coming from the wooden boat world, and in my current boat, I have exactly 4 'systems' connected to my battery: running lights, a bunk light, a bunk fan, and my hand-held VHF charger.

Oh, and a cigarette lighter type socket.

An iPad and iPhone do me for practically everything else.

I do have a couple oil lamps, but honestly, they are only useful in cool latitudes, and for an anchor light in dark areas. I would NOT use an oil anchor light on the east coast of FL, for example. Too dim against the background shore lights. Ask me how I know this!

So I would not clutter the boat with a bunch of power hungry gadgets.

I WOULD like to try one of those towing generators that convert into wind generators. They sound pretty useful and not too ugly.
jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:01   #103
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,096
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
I guess I should have emphasized in my first post that I'm a very low tech sailor. I'm coming from the wooden boat world, and in my current boat, I have exactly 4 'systems' connected to my battery: running lights, a bunk light, a bunk fan, and my hand-held VHF charger.

Oh, and a cigarette lighter type socket.

An iPad and iPhone do me for practically everything else.

I do have a couple oil lamps, but honestly, they are only useful in cool latitudes, and for an anchor light in dark areas. I would NOT use an oil anchor light on the east coast of FL, for example. Too dim against the background shore lights. Ask me how I know this!

So I would not clutter the boat with a bunch of power hungry gadgets.

I WOULD like to try one of those towing generators that convert into wind generators. They sound pretty useful and not too ugly.
Just a note of caution: Oil lamps are very bad for your lungs. You are breathing in hydrocarbons in which there are various heavy metals and known carcinogens. There really is no need for them since the advent of led lights. And no, there is not enough ventilation in a boat to avoid breathing in the oil lamps' vapors.

ps: the water generators work quite well. Our wg lasted more than 20 years with maintenance.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:13   #104
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 463
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Gorgeous boat...the ones currently for sale on Yacht World range from 75K to 235K....wow.

Median seems to be in the low to mid $100ks.

Mentioned because of the opinion that this boat will hold its value.
__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:14   #105
Registered User
 
jalmberg's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntington NY
Boat: Tom Gilmer 23-foot Blue Moon Yawl
Posts: 32
Re: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl good choice for bluewater cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Just a note of caution: Oil lamps are very bad for your lungs. You are breathing in hydrocarbons in which there are various heavy metals and known carcinogens. There really is no need for them since the advent of led lights. And no, there is not enough ventilation in a boat to avoid breathing in the oil lamps' vapors.
Yes, this is one way I'm not a traditionalist. I can't handle the smell. I only use them with the main hatch wide open. That is, I use them (occasionally!) for light, not for heat.

I actually have a number of candle lamps that I use far more often. Just as romantic, with none of the smell.
__________________

jalmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bermuda, cruise, cruiser, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Aft-Cabin Yawl Kim Petersen Classifieds Archive 46 26-04-2014 14:43
40' Bluewater Cruiser Choice Likato Monohull Sailboats 77 31-03-2011 11:55
Hinckley Bermuda 40 vs Tartan 37 endurance Monohull Sailboats 58 16-10-2010 04:33
Best Choice of Destination for this Summer - NC to Bermuda or Bahamas ? Snail's Pace Atlantic & the Caribbean 12 19-05-2010 15:17


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.