Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2010, 17:44   #1

Hinckley 38

I am very seriously looking at a Hinckley 38 and would very much appreciate information regarding this vessel. Seems to me the 38 is a bit of an odd-ball in the Hinckley bloodline (i.e. Royalty). I understand from previous posts that the 38 is a bit tender yet still very good to wind. Those who may know this boat, know that they have a "trim tab" on the keel. What exactly does one do with this extra rudder? On a starboard tack do you swing it to port and thereby gain lift on the starboard side of the keel? Please excuse my complete ignorance in this matter.

I am looking at this boat from a performance cruisers standpoint. Any and all information from informed sailors is appreciated.

Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The trim tab on the keel was a rule beating addition that got legislated out of existance about a year after it was first tried. The trim tab makes the boat a terror to windward by increasing lift. It should be angled to leeward like the flaps on an airplane wing.

Hinckleys are beautiful, extremely well built boats but they are terribly expensive and too pretty to cruise. I'd be paranoid to take it anywhere near a marina for fear of marring the topsides and afraid of scratching the brightwork when cruising.

roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:33   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Some friends of ours owned and sailed a 38 for many years and loved the boat. She was a very handsome and finely fitted yacht and I could not understand why it was not valued as much as the either the Pilot 35 or the B-40 as it was their equal in most all respects.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
H38 is a beauty. Being a S&S of that era she may be a great sailor too.

If she is technically fine and if you liked the test drive, well ...

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: