Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 05:46   #16

Re: High Freeboaard Sailoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Those things are like an apartment inside. But comical to watch on a day with a strong crosswind.
But just like a small airplane they manage by crabbing. Mind you it's still a lot of freeboard and a very small wetted surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lol i can image going straight with the bow at 45 degree to the wind Lol

By grabbing means? ( sorry my english)

Yea i read that they are not very good in bad weather, too much flat botton, very aggressive and rapid reaction to waves...

There should be something with quite deep V bottom but higher freeboard to have more space possible for a given hull lenght
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:56   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: High Freeboaard Sailoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Lol i can image going straight with the bow at 45 degree to the wind Lol

Yea i read that they are not very good in bad weather, too much flat botton, very aggressive and rapid reaction to waves...

There should be something with quite deep V bottom but higher freeboard to have more space possible for a given hull lenght
There are a few still around..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13226731975100818742.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	116421  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Thanks

Wich is according to you is the best rig for offshore cruise?
although i sailed sloop since age 7, and love sailing sloops as daysailors and short hop cruising, for long passages and full time cruising, i prefer ketches as the sail pattern is so versatile. split the rig into jibn mizzen for high wind areas--prevent knockdowns in chubasco situations and make a better balance with storms and winds. watched as i sailed err bashed a sloop into headwinds and seas at 1 kt or so sog, a ketch under jib n jigger sail same point of sail well away from us--progressed efficiently and positively to our negative progress. was most impressive. and yes i did own this boat, a ketch, when i went to sail gom in a sloop for a year. prefer, hands down, the heavy ketch in handling and sailing in high winds.
watching that ketch pullaway from us so easily made me wish i had my ketch in gom...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:22   #19

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:

Crabbing; Moving sideways like a crab walks.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:42   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
GH37 Photo Gallery - Great Harbour Trawlers

What about one of this, how does it behave in strong wind?

Imagine it without the upper deck, with mast and sails ( ordinary sloop) and a lifting keel...
Nice caravan homes!

Perhaps if you do insist on masts, sails and all that junk, you may consider slightly less freeboard, like here:

Ciao,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lessismore.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	116428  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:46   #21

Boat: Tartan 37

One thing a lot of people forget to think about to getting back on the boat after falling overboard. Think about a boarding ladder that can be deployed while in the water. l have falling in twice, once off my sailboat while sailing at 6kts and once while working on a barge. Both times being able to quickly get back on board was important. Three people have died at our marina by falling in the water at their boats. Another close friend fell in Feb and was near unconscious when a neighbor boater who was a SEAL team member pulled him out and called for help. Also we hear stories about people dropping the anchor and jumping over the side for a swim and not being able to get back on board.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:37   #22

Thanks boatman, i really love a tall boat lol, but about 30/35 feet long..ang maybe 12 high it turns out to be a skyscraper LOL

Hey look a sinking boat!! Ah no, its just the rised up stern lol

Thanks goat, i get it

Barnakiel, i 'd need more space possible for about 30/35 ft...

Puffcard, yes i though about a fixed, welded ladder on the stern, so always easy to climb up in case someone fall in the water...
Old 09-01-2016, 07:39   #23

My 36 has a higher than typical for that size free board. It has a flush deck and no coach roof. What the architect Zaal did was to essentially raise the deck height to where the coach roof would have been. The deck is created as a section with vertical return about 18" which are joined to the hull. Ports are placed in the "vertical" returns.

This give a very high overall head room. (there is a slight maybe 8" rise" where the coach roof would be).

You cannot climb on board from the sides... too high unless the boat is heeled over.
The stern as boarding ladder which drops down as a swim ladder and you can board from the sea

The deck is higher and so getting on and off is a BIG step for most floating docks. You need to "pull yourself up".

The hull has more windage so she's restless at anchor

But... the boat is a dry sail...lots of interior volume... light and with pretty much flush decks easy to move around on deck.

Some plusses and minuses... I think the pluses win. YMMV
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
My 36 has a higher than typical for that size free board. It has a flush deck and no coach roof. What the architect Zaal did was to essentially raise the deck height to where the coach roof would have been. The deck is created as a section with vertical return about 18" which are joined to the hull. Ports are placed in the "vertical" returns.

This give a very high overall head room. (there is a slight maybe 8" rise" where the coach roof would be).

You cannot climb on board from the sides... too high unless the boat is heeled over.
The stern as boarding ladder which drops down as a swim ladder and you can board from the sea

The deck is higher and so getting on and off is a BIG step for most floating docks. You need to "pull yourself up".

The hull has more windage so she's restless at anchor

But... the boat is a dry sail...lots of interior volume... light and with pretty much flush decks easy to move around on deck.

Some plusses and minuses... I think the pluses win. YMMV

Thanks, it sounds very nice, i'll check for your boat ( the same, not exactly your's one)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52   #25

Boat: Ohlson 29

I think your ideal boat is for sale in the Netherlands ....

Fifty Fifty uit 1961 te koop op Botentekoop.nl

Broker says it's *perfect* for sailing around the world too
Old 09-01-2016, 08:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I think your ideal boat is for sale in the Netherlands ....

Fifty Fifty uit 1961 te koop op Botentekoop.nl

Broker says it's *perfect* for sailing around the world too

That's great, thanks!

I must build one of the same lol

Seriously, its great, but 18 meters... And 2 x engine

How do you think it does behave in bad weather? The stern saloon is great, big...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:31   #27

Boat: Ohlson 29

My personal opinion about this boat?
I wouldn't take her out to sea, let's put it that way. Pretty sure the broker wouldn't either, eventho he's trying to sell the thing as "perfect for world cruising".

For me personally, this is one for the "kill it with fire before it lays eggs" category, but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of people out there who can see themselves living aboard. And, granted, you get a lot of room for your money. If you take off the masts and use her as a motorboat / liveaboard, it'll serve it's purpose.
(tho for the Netherlands, she'll still be too high for many bridges.)

As to sailing ... nah. Not even on the IJsselmeer, to be honest, unless 100% sure it'll be a very sunny day with just enough wind to motorsail
Old 09-01-2016, 08:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
My personal opinion about this boat?
I wouldn't take her out to sea, let's put it that way. Pretty sure the broker wouldn't either, eventho he's trying to sell the thing as "perfect for world cruising".

For me personally, this is one for the "kill it with fire before it lays eggs" category, but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of people out there who can see themselves living aboard. And, granted, you get a lot of room for your money. If you take off the masts and use her as a motorboat / liveaboard, it'll serve it's purpose.
(tho for the Netherlands, she'll still be too high for many bridges.)
As to sailing ... nah.
Lol burnt it before it gets eggs lol never heard before

However me too, absolutely not convinced about it, i would never and never bought a used steel boat, if not for a very low price (meaning to be repainted, everywhere, sandblasted and everything redone from bottom to cieling)

You mean it's nice when moored or motor going in flat water..i've found a canal boat, beautiful like a tall boat, very big inside...completely flat bottom lol...
Old 09-01-2016, 10:12   #29

As with everything, every design feature has trade offs. There is no "correct" answer.

If you will always be at the same dock that is well off the water, it won't be a big deal.

If you deal with a lot of floating docks...I've seen boats with 6' freeboard where the owners never would have been able to tie off without help from people on the dock. Also some marinas don't allow steps on the dock.

Don't overlook he ability to get back on board. Helped a guy last spring who fell in and it wasn't until there were 3 of us, we couldn't get him out because hypothermia was limiting his ability to help climb out. Do that offshore with just the wife to help and it's not a pretty picture.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
As with everything, every design feature has trade offs. There is no "correct" answer.

If you will always be at the same dock that is well off the water, it won't be a big deal.

If you deal with a lot of floating docks...I've seen boats with 6' freeboard where the owners never would have been able to tie off without help from people on the dock. Also some marinas don't allow steps on the dock.

Don't overlook he ability to get back on board. Helped a guy last spring who fell in and it wasn't until there were 3 of us, we couldn't get him out because hypothermia was limiting his ability to help climb out. Do that offshore with just the wife to help and it's not a pretty picture.

Yes, i'm looking for the best balance for my requirements...

I've been on a boat (like many else i guess) that the swimming ladder is the same that can be used to get off the boat...(it was a foldable one, in 3 pieces, with 2 elastics rope to keep it both perfectly vertical (swim mode) and elongeg () while at the marina, it was a 36 ft boat, about 1,30-1.40 meters heigh freeboard, and the ladder was about 2 feet from the marina floating dock...i'd say confortable

Mh, yess i get your idea...in theory if you are tied, and the rope doesn't broke, you are conscius, you can quite easly go back to the rope and climb back on board....i know...IF...I read about people fall outboard, the rope got broken, he get the head out of the water 30 feet behind the boat, and luckly there was a parachute anchor...he get on it and came back on board pratically by himself (boat rolled over in very bad weather condition), he state that if it was not for the anchor's rope he would be dead for sure...

Tags
loa, sail