Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 13:53   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Hey Nonsuch owners!

All you Nonsuch owners, can you chime in and tell us how they are as cruisers and/or "bluewater" boats/circumnavigators?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 14:10   #2

Re: Hey Nonsuch owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
All you Nonsuch owners, can you chime in and tell us how they are as cruisers and/or "bluewater" boats/circumnavigators?

Nonsuch first came to my attention when I stumbled upon these Drake Paragon interviews. Have you seen these? Here he is interviewing a nice chap who lives and works aboard a Nonsuch. He talks about the boat in detail. Walks through topside and below deck. There are maybe 6 videos in total.

PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 14:12   #3

Or, maybe a more direct route to save you a little time.

PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 12:26   #4

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Hey Nonsuch 36 owners!

Deliberately reviving this necrothread (thank you LittleWing for that word) because it has those videos...and to repeat DonC L's 6-year-old question: Who's owned (or sailed) a Nonsuch 36? How are these guys as cruisers?

(I'm not intent on using one to race or beat upwind, as per another on-going thread on this forum )

There weren't that many made, and I believe 1990 was the last year they were built.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with any particular snags.

Balsa cored deck and hull I guess is one area to watch for on any older boat; the integrity of a 30+ year-old unstayed mast is another one.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:17   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Sailed one of the first Nonsuch 30s a lot including NYC to Bermuda and back. Some offshore thoughts. It is hard to reduce sail area when it really gets snotty. I had a third reef and when I used it there was not enough lift on the end of the wishbone unless you played around with the topping lift. Even with third reef you still have more sail area than you might want.

Very difficult to rig a real preventer off the wind. The boat sails quite comfortably with the sail out 90° but the angle isn't there for a preventer to work.

Cockpit is quite large and deep. If the ocean comes for a visit you will have a lot of weight in the stern.

Not many things to go wrong but almost anything that does break will be major. I don't mean the mast, they are very strong but I had the bale where the sheet attaches to the wishbone break. Not nice jury rigging something.

I think Nonsuch designs of all sizes are fabulous for coastal cruising. I wouldn't pick one for offshore.