Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 14:31   #1

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Here's mah boat, Lend me your expertise

Ignore the price, and the hull material is wood, not pvc.

I'll tell you what I know I love. Shallow draft, comfortable sailing (though anything would roll in the fat swell we have to go through to get out of the river), comfortable interior for a close family, and her styling, of course. I haven't done much of the sailing on this boat, but my husband has single-handed in easy weather without problems. Engine starts easily and runs well. There are a few interior features I would upgrade for comfort, but nothing to do with the integrity of the vessel.

My concerns: I'd like some fancier instrumentation, like head's up chart plotting. With that enormous enclosed cockpit, I would be worried about big seas. I know that one compromises some sailability with a motor sailor, and I wish I knew how much.

As I have noted in other threads, my husband works on wooden boats so he is able to look for structural issues and make repair decisions. However, I'd love to know what the limits of this boat are, what I can realistically expect from her and what is fantastical, and what degree of upgrade to instruments and domestic details will exceed the value of the boat should be sell someday.

All you experts, give me your thoughts.
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 18:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Here's mah boat, Lend me your expertise

Is this a fantasy boat or did you intend to post an advertisement link?

Shallow draft and big seas? In context of enclosed cockpit - I presume you are talking about a pilothouse, yes both would concern me.

Are you planning on ocean voyaging?

I don't know you area well but if for coastal sailing in Maine, I could make a good argument for shallow draft pilothouse, from a utility standpoint but probably not from a performance standpoint.

Some folks like comfort over speed - I was in love with pilothouse designs until catamarans started getting within price reach.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 18:40   #3

The ad link is old and a little wrong, but I don't have any better pictures.
Old 30-10-2012, 18:42   #4

Not a pilothouse, I used improper terminology. Meaning that it isn't open to the stern, so if it fills with water then the self-baler has to keep up. Does that seem a particularly shallow draft?
Old 30-10-2012, 18:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am still lost - I don't see the link...
Old 30-10-2012, 18:44   #6

Sorry I am doing this in little bits. So, yes, I own this boat, and use it for coastal sailing in Maine. I would like to take it cruising, but I am nowhere near the skill or experience level of serious offshore sailing, so it would be coastal.

Weird, let me repost.
Old 30-10-2012, 18:46   #7

Boater's Resources: Boating, marinas, accessories, equipment, and supplies at discounts you’ll love!
Old 30-10-2012, 18:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK - Now I get it....

I did the same thing - Boater's Resources: Boating, marinas, accessories, equipment, and supplies at discounts you’ll love!

Great looking boat - Now I sorta have lost the bubble on your concerns...

Big Seas - Once again coastal cruising, picking weather windows, I would have zero concerns.

Electronics - This is only about money. However in a classic like this I would be thoughtful and careful about how I added on. i.e. the Vatican would look pretty crappy with a satellite dish and a cell tower on top... You husband is a woodworker so maybe he can "hide" the 21st century dials in a nice box at the helm etc.

In terms of value - here's my 2 cents - The day you install the 2012 electronics you probably increase the value of your boat, maybe above "normal" - In one-two years with new models coming out all the time they ad no value. Add them for your utility and don't consider their impact on boat value.

Final note - your boat looks awesomely romantic and I admire greatly. Too much work for me but definitely a pretty boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crocker 37.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	49046  
Old 30-10-2012, 19:05   #9

Thanks! Yes, terribly romantic. We had our eye on this boat for a long time, but after my little brush with mortality we decided that the fates might want her in our hands st a price we could afford. I think people who own and love these boats care much more about who takes them than what they pay.

Okay, get the electronics I want/need, don't worry about anyone else's money.

If a boat like this is well-maintained, how hard do you think it can go? Assuming I felt comfortable in the conditions (and right now I trust her well beyond my limits), what would seem risky in this design to you? As it said in the listing, the previous owner used to take her to the Bahamas, but I'll bet that's far enough.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:05   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

I don't really understand your question. Heads up chartplotter is simply a matter of forking out the boat bucks. The boat looks like it has a good dodger. That should help keep the cockpit comfortable. If she's well maintained, then cruise on.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:09   #11

I've filled my head with horror stories about huge breaking seas and now I am wondering what would happen if I ended up in one Planning to avoid it, but bad weather comes up fast.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:28   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 33

This boat is so very beautiful that whatever my questions were I would move heaven and earth to make the answer YES.

YES, install what you need and what will make you happy.

YES, take every precaution possible, and then one or two more for good measure, to make sure you avoid bad weather and otherwise bad conditions.

And YES YES YES, take this wonderful boat and go cruising.

You said it, her limits likely far exceed yours. We had very good friends who bought a 1950's vintage Kettenberg 50' and sailed from San Diego south, through the Panama Canal and all through the Caribbean, up the east coast and back to San Diego, with their 2 children. They sailed in all kinds of conditions. They were at anchor one fine morning when a jet skier plowed into their boat and made a big hole in it. They repaired the hole and cruised on. I think they were gone for 5 or 6 years. The old boat did just fine. They brought it back to San Diego, lived on it for quite a few more years and sold it. I think it's cruising still.

If your husband is able to accurately assess the condition of the boat and it is in sound condition, take it and do with it what it was built to do. And I will try to stop drooling now.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:56   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
I've filled my head with horror stories about huge breaking seas and now I am wondering what would happen if I ended up in one Planning to avoid it, but bad weather comes up fast.
Talk to your husband. Division of duties on board are very important.

He likely ends up being chief engineer.

If you have a concern/interest in weather and navigation - maybe make that your passion. Your scope of responsibility could include -

- Weather information and how to get it - SSB, weatherfax, radio etc. (he gets to install the equipment you need as the engineer!)
- Weather interpretation and prediction - There are plenty of weather sites where raw weather data can be obtained - as you grow your skills, use the raw data to make your own predictions about what iwll happen in your local area in 1-2 and 5 days. See how ggod you can get...
- Read up a lot here on storm tactics, get some books on storm tactics become learned on storm tactics then use your growing skills to avoid the weather that requires storm tactics
- Expand you area of responsibility to navigation - weather is such an integral part of "which way to go" that this makes a logical step.

Then take baby steps to find and sail in ever more challenging weather. I always tell folks around here that thunderstorms are opportunities. They don't last long and they tell you a lot about your reefing plans and how the boat handles higher winds.

Not to make this a bounty thread but the largest and most seaworthy boats can be overcome.

Educating yourself as much as possible and sailing within your comfort zone (which should expand to a certain point) is really key.
Old 30-10-2012, 20:06   #14

Boat: Franz Maas 37

It's a beautiful vessel. I assume the technical info may be a little flawed. I know little of timber classics, but I can't imagine it has only 3500lb of ballast for a boat which displaces 27,000lb.

I love it!

PS. Please post about your concerns on the Cruisers Forum, sister forum 'CruiserLog'. One of our lovely lady mods (Redbopeep) has a 50+ foot, timber classic on the US west coast and has vast sailing knowledge and experience.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 20:51   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It appears to me that your boat is a go anywhere boat.

My wood Mariner 35 was and was smaller with less fuel storage but more water storage.

Looks like a beauty.

kind regards,