Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 04:50   #16

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Thank you all. My confidence is returning. Knowledge is power, so I guess I go get more knowledge!
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 05:31   #17

Do you think that a highly skilled and experienced sailor could safely take this boat well offshore?
Old 31-10-2012, 05:31   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Here's mah boat, Lend me your expertise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post

My concerns: I'd like some fancier instrumentation, like head's up chart plotting. With that enormous enclosed cockpit, I would be worried about big seas. I know that one compromises some sailability with a motor sailor, and I wish I knew how much.
Whilst not claiming the status of expert - from my quick looksee she looks capable of going pretty much anywhere .........including offshore / transocean. Subject of course to a Skipper / Crew knowing WTF they are doing and the boat being in sound condition.

The instrumentation is a minor point (just add cash! - plus a bit of thought into how built in so as not to destroy the look, or failing that just settle for them being a feature!).....on a 37 foot an open cockpit not a great concern, more a question of comfort - and for that a decent enclosure (and maybe a fixed screen or even a hard dodger) would cover most things. Of course there will be circumstances where being inside would be preferable!, but that same with any boat.

I see you use the term "Motor sailer", from what I can see of the rig she does have enough sail area to power her under passage - even though likely not the fastest of boats, at least not in light airs. The term motor sailer covers a multiple of boats (and IMO is a bit of an outdated term) - simply having an engine big enough to power a boat at hull speed on passage does not mean she is only a Motor Sailer, which tends to imply that a motor is needed (rather than simply being an option).

My advice is to get some more seatime (baby steps) to build up confidence in the boat's ability (and add to own knowledge). One big plus of the boat is that a bit of weight and that full keel will make her less flightly at sea. Downside is that won't be winning too many races. A compromise I would be happy to make.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 05:36   #19

If "built for comfort, not for speed" is good enough for Howlin' Wolf, it's good enough for me. Plus, I'm a *terrible* racer! Dh gets performance-itchy, but she can do pretty well, surprisingly. We can't tack her going less than 2kts (hello rocky Maine coast, good thing te engine starts right up...), but we've taken a boat or two out there. We don't have a spinnaker, so as soon as a neighbor sets that, we're left behind
Old 31-10-2012, 06:07   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A beautiful boat. Wooden, which would stop me on a dime. But if your husband is a wooden boat builder, then that is not a problem.

Assuming she is in good shape - this boat will probably take more punishment than either you or your husband can. I wouldn't worry about the boat.

Yes, it can be sailed to the Bahamas and beyond. You can easily take it trans atlantic.

damn beauty - that's what it is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:18   #21

One nice thing about having had only wooden boats is that if, someday, we can afford a comparably styled boat built of something else, it will feel like retirement. Seeing as how that's our only hope of retirement...
Old 31-10-2012, 07:20   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Talk to your husband. Division of duties on board are very important.

He likely ends up being chief engineer.

If you have a concern/interest in weather and navigation - maybe make that your passion. Your scope of responsibility could include -

- Weather information and how to get it - SSB, weatherfax, radio etc. (he gets to install the equipment you need as the engineer!)
- Weather interpretation and prediction - There are plenty of weather sites where raw weather data can be obtained - as you grow your skills, use the raw data to make your own predictions about what iwll happen in your local area in 1-2 and 5 days. See how ggod you can get...
- Read up a lot here on storm tactics, get some books on storm tactics become learned on storm tactics then use your growing skills to avoid the weather that requires storm tactics
- Expand you area of responsibility to navigation - weather is such an integral part of "which way to go" that this makes a logical step.

Then take baby steps to find and sail in ever more challenging weather. I always tell folks around here that thunderstorms are opportunities. They don't last long and they tell you a lot about your reefing plans and how the boat handles higher winds.

Not to make this a bounty thread but the largest and most seaworthy boats can be overcome.

Educating yourself as much as possible and sailing within your comfort zone (which should expand to a certain point) is really key.
That is some darned fine advice, and I will be filing it away in my own "things I need to do" file.
Old 31-10-2012, 07:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
Thank you all. My confidence is returning. Knowledge is power, so I guess I go get more knowledge!
That's a wonderful boat. I'd take her anywhere.

Your biggest issue appears to be lack of experience...

After you experience your first good storm or two and don't die you'll feel more confident..

It's not what you don't know that will kill you it's what you know that is wrong that will..

Just pay attention and enjoy that beauty..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 07:47   #24

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I think you'll find sailors happy to share advice of all kinds, including of how to stay out of trouble - rough seas, tricky navigations, bad weather, etc.

This is largish, heavyish boat with a lot of sails. It has old, and probably complicated mechanical systems.
If you are not very experienced with sailing, look for ways to gain more experience, including possibly inviting a more experienced sailor onboard. This could be a hired captain for a week or so, a hired instructor, perhaps one who will certify you, or it could be a guest traveler -- you can advertise on the "Crew" forums here and elsewhere.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote