Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 19:55   #1

Boat: Wanted 45' Hunter center cockpit
Post Help with a hunter

I am looking into buying some kind of Hunter. I'm thinking A 42 passage center cockpit or a 45 passage center cockpit but I don't know what about it is structurally different, what parts of the hunter 45 are longer, and what differences are there? I'm also wondering how much rocking is there and what is the pitch...
chucklet321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 22:22   #2

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad
Re: Help with a hunter

HUNTER 42 PASSAGE CC sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

HUNTER 45 CC sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 30-09-2012, 04:39   #3
cruiser

I looked at both a few years ago and purchased the Hunter 450 passage; It's quite a bit larger... bigger master in rear, fewer steps throughout. Rocked like crazy at anchor & liked to throw everything down below and in the cockpit from side to side while tacking. Relatively shallow keel at 5ft 6" and high freeboard probably the cause. A great day sailor and liveaboard. The keel structure is the Achilles heel. Not unusual to be fighting the helm constantly in winds over 12 knots, even with sails reefed correctly, difficult to balance. On the upside, the 450 is the biggest 45ft boat you'll find out there, simple sail plan & good looks.

Sold the Hunter last Spring following two fun years, and upgraded.

Hunter.... A good boat as long as you don't expect too much. Hey... that can be their new slogan.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 09:08   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

There might be one in San Diego cheap...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ere-90166.html

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 13:11   #5
cruiser

I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea about the Hunter 450 passage; my wife and I really enjoyed the boat for what it is, and the Hunter provided us a fantastic gateway into the world of cruising. The annoying problems we had, could all be repaired, but should not have been expected on a boat costing $275k plus when new.

My grips are primarily with the Hunter Marine Company, especially the customer service department.... or rather, the lack of a customer service department.

Although my wife and our guests onboard were always somewhat on edge whenever the boat heeled way over even in a light wind, I thought it was fun to sail. We made a trip down from San Francisco to Long Beach, then spent the next two years sailing exclusively throughout Southern California including the Channel islands and living aboard 5 months per year... having a blast! My wife still misses the huge shower.

Prior to selling our boat, we made quite a few repairs which should insure many good, safe, fun-filled years of sailing for it's new owners.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter