Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2007, 11:39   #1

Help with a choice

I've been looking for a sturdy little cruiser (30-34ft) for some extended cruising down the east coast. I will singlehand at times and there will mostly be a crew of me and one other (both reasonable sailors with experience) So, having considered the options I was close to buying a Pacific Seacraft 31, 2004 model. However the recent demise of the company has made me think this might be an expensive option (no support, no factory in future) So I looked around and found a 2002 Island Packet 32 for the same price. Both in similar condition, both have similar equipment. I like the look of the PS myself, but this has got to be a head not a heart decision. What would you do, and why?
40North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 13:17   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40North View Post
I've been looking for a sturdy little cruiser (30-34ft) for some extended cruising down the east coast. I will singlehand at times and there will mostly be a crew of me and one other (both reasonable sailors with experience) So, having considered the options I was close to buying a Pacific Seacraft 31, 2004 model. However the recent demise of the company has made me think this might be an expensive option (no support, no factory in future) So I looked around and found a 2002 Island Packet 32 for the same price. Both in similar condition, both have similar equipment. I like the look of the PS myself, but this has got to be a head not a heart decision. What would you do, and why?
Always liked Island Packets. Dont't mind their looks either!

But I am looking at a Gemini 105Mc. I am older now and want more "flatness".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 15:03   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha 40 North,
Both are great boats. If you are looking for builder support then go that direction but I'd call the builder to ask what type of support they would give for a boat that age. Unlike cars, for boats it doesn't matter too much if the builder is out of business. There are very few parts that you need to have replaced by the builder. Hull and deck would be the most important and both those companies made them pretty solid. If the rigging and spars look equally good and the marine survey says things are in order I'd say it is a toss up.
Good Luck!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 16:40   #4

For what it's worth I think SkiprJohn is on the money. Pacific Seacraft are great boats and if I could afford one, I wouldn't let the company being out of business stop me. Might be a good bargaining chip though, wot?

Is it this one? Beautiful boat.
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 19:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you find a Gozzard 31 I think you may find many of the same qualities. All these are what I would call huge 31 ft boats. There are more tiny 31 ft boats out there than not. Getting the largest small boat possible always has an appeal to me.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 00:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
My only advice is to make sure (if at all possible) there is an "active" owners group on the internet if the boat is out of production. It's great to have other owners to bounce ideas against.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 06:59   #7

Heart as much as head

I second the comment about owners groups. But I also say you have to love the boat that you get, including or even especially the looks. You're going to be spending a lot of time keeping her pretty, you'd better lover her.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 07:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdope71 View Post
For what it's worth I think SkiprJohn is on the money. Pacific Seacraft are great boats and if I could afford one, I wouldn't let the company being out of business stop me. Might be a good bargaining chip though, wot?

Is it this one? Beautiful boat.
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

That's the one. I'm planning on going up to look at it this weekend....
40North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 07:30   #9

I own a 1984 Cape Dory, who is no longer in business, and it's made no difference whatsoever.
The OEM parts suppliers are still in business and that's a big plus.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 03:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Owner's Groups

Some on-line resources from ”Good Old Boat” magazine:

Below are listed the boat associations, sites, and contacts GOB has listed in it's Associations database.
It is complete as of February, 2007. For more details, take a look at their Associations database.
Owners' Associations: Good Old Boat: Owners' Associations List

Sailboat Class Associations and Sailing Groups (database)
http://goodoldboat.com:8080/GOBWeb/G...arch_heading=1

And: The GOB Supplier directory search: http://goodoldboat.com:8080/GOBWeb/GOBResource

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 06:35   #11

Boat: gozzard 44
40North,

It appears the style of boat you desire includes Pacific Seacraft, Island Packet, Shannon, Cabo Rico, and Gozzard. Of these 5, three are facing financial hardships and some have closed operations. It's a shame that traditional builders are disappearing during this downturn.

IP and Gozzard are still making boats. IP is constantly innovating and has a large and loyal following. Gozzard is a small family owned operation that appeals to a smaller but just as loyal group.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote