Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 16:25   #16
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Re: Help with a budget for 45 ft. cruiser

A few notes on how I get my figures.

Most 33 year old boats that I see look good but are going to need major refurbishment before going anywhere serious. I put $60+k in this case. It's a guesstimate, based on what I'd expect a similar boat (48' fibreglass) in rock solid cruising condition to sell for ($140k + $20 refurbishment).

Now we have a boat valued at $160k. We could put that money in the bank and get close to 5%. Loss of opportunity is going to be more than that so say 8%.

The next big cost is depreciation. Say 8%. I like to combine that with maintenance commonly estimated at 10%. So depreciation and maintenance is looking to be somewhere round 18%.

Now add in running costs - docking, fuel, insurance etc. I'd be guessing these would run between $6k and $12k p.a. Say 5%.

Now I'm up to 31%. Seems outrageous. No budget conscious owner would spend that so I factor in 6% of savings to end up with 25% or $40k p.a.

The point is that most of these expenses are hidden. It's not like we're pulling $800 out of our pocket each week. But at the end of our 3 or 5 year cruise the total cost for our example is going to be $120+k to $200+k.

I use the "$+k" as the cost each year could have been invested but my actuarial skills fail at that point.

Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

budget, cruiser

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.