Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 22:06   #31

WOW! 200K just about sets the world at your feet. If you don't mind putting a little love into your new home, drop 40-50K on the hull 10-15k in refit and equipment and the remaining 125k into rum and tell everyone to SOD off. After all Captain jack seemed to always be asking "Why is the Rum always gone?"
Personally, I like the Han Christian and the Slocum, I am also less familiar with the other boats you listed. Also check out Bruce Roberts designed boats. Gulfstar's are also very nice. Where would you like to be cruising at most? That will determine the best boat for your money.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28   #32

Boat: Beneteau 36
Hello Chuck :

Tell me please...what exactly is "really funny" about what I've said ??

There's no dispute that Beneteau is the largest manufacturer of sailboats in the world.

Or that Beneteau makes the boats most preferred by charter fleets...

Or that Beneteau has the greatest representation of yachts in the ARC fleet...
http://www.beneteauusa.com/wps/wcm/c...S_TransatRally

As I said earlier, when "this" question has come up in the past, there hasn't been a spot to be able to point to, so that people could read of our sister-ships that are out cruising, & this is why I decided to create the "Hall of Fame" page (the idea came from Catalina, actually...) as a point of reference within our Club Beneteau association website.

Of course, I'm quick to admit...I don't intend to ever sail a Beneteau around the Horn, however, for the East Coast, Bahamas & down the Thorny Path...
there's none better.

Let's also keep in mind that the majority of sailboats seldom venture across oceans...& that's why most of us don't own "wet-snails".

Friends of ours who sailed their B461 down-island (with the Caribbean 1500 fleet) a few years ago, regularly give their friends who sail "slugs" a head start of considerable time to make their next destination, since their boat (a Farr design http://www.beneteauusa.com/wps/wcm/c...rev_Oceanis461 ) is so much faster that many of the other boats.

Scoff if you like at lighter boats, but I'd say there's a huge advantage to being able to sail out of harms way "before" a window closes over head & nature decides to give you a lesson in respect.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:39   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Wow. I took his experience level as a joke - what else COULD it have been? Lighten up folks, and find your sense of humor!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12   #34

Boat: Beneteau 36
Hey Bill...

I'm quite sorry if that posting (above) sounded a bit "in yer face"...that's not really how I meant it to come off.

As a Beneteau clansman, I tend to "defend" the family with a healthy measure of conviction, & the facts that I've listed are proof of the realities that no one can dispute regarding our sisterships.

It seems to me, that when newbies ask questions, we have a choice to assist them with our well worn & weathered advice, or to be unhelpful & poke fun at their lack of knowledge & experience.

Personally speaking, I've yet to cross the Atlantic in my B361 (I've actually no intention of doing so...) but there are others that have done just that Article2 & this is why I set up the Hall of Fame page Beneteau Hall of Fame to list other people's website links, when the question of "what boat should I consider buying" comes up.

Perhaps the owners of "other makes" should consider doing as I have & we can all have a rousing discusion about things !!

Then after that...we can tackle questions about which anchor is best & how we can settle disputes in the middle east !!
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:55   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Hey, Paul, I wasn't really "aiming" at you! Just the folks that couldn't see and/or take the joke by the original poster. That's all.

BTW, I have NO objections to Beneteau boats. I've enjoyed sailing many, and have many friends with them. We happen to be lucky with our boat, it's 43,000 lbs AND it's fast. Cruises at 8.5 under power, and we've hit 12 kts in it offshore. However, we bought our boat with the full intention of cruising in a few years.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 20:06   #36

Boat: Island Packet 45 - Far Niente
I do not know how much ocean or big lake sailing you have done, but based on my experience I suggest you seriously consider an Island Packet 31'-38' depending on age and accessories. Great value, great yachts, great sailing.
JeffGIP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:34   #37

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirstein View Post
Nope. No experience whatsoever. But I've got a book, gps, and 4 gallons of rum. That's more than Magellan had, right?

Rather than hit you up with questions like what sort of sailing you want to do or where you want to go, I read all your post (not that hard really as there are just 14 as of now). This includes the posts (not just of yours) that seem to less decorous. Anyway, here goes:

Boat selection (the thrust of this whole thread) - your decision is more likely to be determined by a surveyor and the market than anything else. The amount is too low for a new boat and you will need to add a good deal for upgrades and refits. Your budget seems pretty reasonable as long as you aren’t also including the cost of cruising (fuel, maintenance, food and other things like insurance). Obviously, your budget will go further if you get the smallest boat you can comfortably get by with. However that runs contrary to the general trend of bigger in living spaces in the US.

About the no experience – that isn’t totally true but I think what you meant is no extended off shore experience. You can make up for this in a number of ways. Training, reading or evening crewing on other boats comes to mind. You can also just go and do it without any of the above, there is more risk though. If you aren’t an idiot, and I suspect you aren’t since you can write, a bit of common sense along with an easy demeanor and a willingness to learn will get you pretty far. That goes for life too, so far as I’ve noticed.

A couple of other thoughts: the safety gear and training is not just for you but four crew and passengers and rescue crew (if ever needed). Same goes for your boat. Your boat doesn’t need to be perfect, just good enough for you to be willing to (intelligently) risk your life and any others involved. I do think you should take a look at the bumfuzzle website both for the general enthusiasm they had and, just as importantly, for the mistakes they make. While you are at it, think through what you would do better.

About the gear (book and gps) - Get some paper backups … and in inexpensive sextant. The reason is some countries, notably New Zealand, are going to make life difficult if you don’t. Also, when you are on day three of no wind, you will have more than enough time to take your shots and you might come to like it. Make sure some of your books are on repair

Rum – Yeah, you’ll need more rum Plan to get some at the sources (Puerto Rico, BVI, Jamaican) and make sure you get some great stories to regale your guests with. If not, make ‘em up!

Decorum – I think everyone should try to hold the other person’s views in a charitable manner. If I ask a question (and I have) it’s an honest question unless proven beyond a doubt otherwise. Advice I give is to the best of my ability but predicated on being given all the pertinent constraints up front. Another thing to remember is email is a relatively new register; conversational but without all the paralinguals of actual conversation. In other words we all need to cut each other some slack.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 18:25   #38
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Hey J
Take a peek at a vagabond 42....might fit well and lot of stowage for the rum....
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 16:05   #39

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Look for one with lots of tankage for Rum Storage and don't forget the limes!
Stay away from Lapu-Lapu!!

John Neal has a list of recommended boats in his " Offshore Cruising Companion"

A few that I like....Island Packets, Pacific Seacrafts, Sabres, Bristols, Tartans, Shannons. Only because I see more of them on the market.

Gozzards, Hallberg-Rassey's, Passports....you see fewer of...but also good choices the list seems endless

$200,000 to spend on a boat is a problem I'd love to have!...

You could always buy a Hunter and have more money for pain killers in the BVI...

Tempest...in a Rum Pot...
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 19:53   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
You've gotten some good advice here. I'd urge you and your wife to take some basic sailing courses, get yourselves qualified to charter a bareboat (that means you sail it yourselves without a captain or crew), then go out and experience as many different boats as you can. Sail new light weights, sail old heavyweights - sail big ones and little ones - get a real feel for what you are really looking for. You are making a very significant decision - one which can make the difference between having a great experience or a terrible time - and perhaps even the difference between getting there or not. Even though I had been sailing and around boats for most of my life, when it came time to buy a "bigger boat" I still had a LOT of research to do. After all that, is La Nostra perfect? Well, at 36,000 pounds empty she's heavy enough to carry a big payload and handle tough conditions, she has all the space we need, and she sails well .... but there are a lot of things we had to compromise on, too. Take your time - learn what this sailing thing is really all about - gain the experience you'll need to make a good choice to meet your particular needs and desires and then go for it!
BTW - that advice about keeping at least 1/3 of your initial budget in reserve for reconditioning and upgrades is very sound!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote