Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 13:41   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Magellan had quite a bit more going for him. He did know celestial navigation.
JohnL

Hey, John

Magellan didn't even take a watch that could keep time, let alone a chart, and his boat (not him, of course) managed to make a full lap of the world. I do note, however, that of the 240 men who went with him only 18 returned. This should not put people off adventure as a 7.5% chance of survival is nothing to be sniffed at.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 16:16   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 38T
Although I'm not 'salty' by many of your standards, I US Sailing certification through Coastal Cruising, have owned a 26' boat for a few years now, and have chartered abroad. I'm not a virgin...though I presume some of you think (hope) I am. That being said, many people with little or no experience have purchased boats and thrived/survived at sea for extended periods. There is no substitue for willpower-don't let anyone tell you there is! I was just asking you salty dogs if there was a model I was overlooking!

And yes, I WAS joking about the rum. I have discussed dedicating an entire water tank to the storage of rum...but I'm debating whether or not I'd prefer Madeira.
jkirstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 17:26   #18

And of particular challenge to Magellan was the fact that the sun wasn't at the center of the galaxy-which must have made navigation a bit difficult!
Old 02-04-2008, 17:41   #19

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Welcome to the dream

This is a great forum, and it has been an important source of information in my search for a boat. I had a budget of 200k to 250k - and believe me, there are a lot of boats that fit within the range. Keep your eyes open for the gem that is very reasonably priced. You will only see these after many hours of research and climbing on boats. I narrowed my choices down to 3 boats, all beautiful and very seaworthy - 1 was 250K, another 170k and the one I chose was 77k - and it is a work of art. It has circumnavigated as well. And best of all, it is paid for, and I don't owe the MAN! Have fun with the search.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 17:50   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Excuse me J but didn't you say you had no experience? Are we suppose you have experience when you say that you don't?
Don't think I'll be replying to this thread again.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 20:28   #21

Boat: Beneteau 36
Jkirstein :

For the all times that this question has come up in the several years I've been active in the sailing fotrums...I set up this page...

Beneteau Hall of Fame

The answer to your question is one of these three boats...

Beneteau 40
Beneteau 411 or
Beneteau 423

Good luck to you.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:40   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirstein View Post
My wife and I are selling and sailing (or will be in 16 months)...

Nope. No experience whatsoever. But I've got a book, gps, and 4 gallons of rum...

Although I'm not 'salty' by many of your standards, I US Sailing certification through Coastal Cruising, have owned a 26' boat for a few years now, and have chartered abroad. I'm not a virgin...though I presume some of you think (hope) I am. That being said, many people with little or no experience have purchased boats and thrived/survived at sea for extended periods. There is no substitue for willpower-don't let anyone tell you there is! I was just asking you salty dogs if there was a model I was overlooking!
What's your game, jkstein?

Are you playing with us, or do you really want some serious advice from the helpful folks on this Forum who already have the experience you seek?

Lose the "attitude" and get on with it.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:24   #23

OK. It's tough to play with some of you because there aren't too many with a sense of humor! The first thing many of you do when someone like me posts a question is to immediately say that "You've got no experience and shouldn't consider doing any sailing until you get some!" (chicken and egg scenario)

I asked a question about choosing a boat and two people accused me of not being adequately prepared. That wasn't my question. And it's not the first time it's happend to me on this site.

I will not be using this again, either. I'm going to sail around the world with 4 gallons of rum and a GPS. Lighten up, Hud.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31   #24
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Good riddance then. There was nothing in your initial post to suggest that 'having zero experience' was a joke and, accordingly, a number of people wasted time addressing this on posts as a result of understandable concerns for your welfare. It was not a 'hope' that you were a 'virgin', but rather people operating under the assumption that you meant what you had said.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:51   #25

Please everyone, lighten up. My initial post mentioned nothing other than a request for input on possible boats. I won't bother you again with an attempt at humor, nor with any further questions. I would ask, however, that in the future you give members of this forum the benefit of the doubt and not presume to know more about them than you do. My issue with this site has been that it is clearly divided between the "have done's" and the "wanna do's", like me. But people like me learn by talking to others on this site.

To the 95% of the members on this site who are kind and are repeatedly nice to newbies, thank you. People like me appreciate your replies. It's people like you that get people like me to venture forth.

Adios!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26   #26

Boat: Bayfield 36
Go out and look at all the boats you like...when you find the "right" boat you will know!
And anyone here that doesn't agree is not a sailor!
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:32   #27

Boat: Bayfield 36
Can you say "APRIL FOOL"
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:32   #28

Boat: Durbeck 46 Nightwatch
My, My, My. I am also a newby to this forum, but have been sailing for almost 58 years and have missed the two cold oceans and the Indian. Not much else. I do not call myself an old salt, because old salt just gets hard…. We won’t go there. Rarely do I go sailing that I do not lean more and better. My wife does not call me an old salt, but just an old cynic. Many of you sound like you are stuck in the snow in Cleveland with your “Cruising Worlds”. Do not have any advice, only old dreams that never happened. Maybe someone should start a forum for old cynics. Seems like there could be a lot of takers. The sea is someplace that takes all you got and then some. Those of us who go are always willing to help our fellow sailor, no matter what we think of him from afar. All of us started with a dream. Jkirstine is doing the right thing. Asking advice. Go for it jkirstine and I hope to see you out there.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44   #29

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Jkirstein :

For the all times that this question has come up in the several years I've been active in the sailing fotrums...I set up this page...

Beneteau Hall of Fame

The answer to your question is one of these three boats...

Beneteau 40
Beneteau 411 or
Beneteau 423

Good luck to you.

That is really funny

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 13:07   #30

Boat: CT54
Hey my husband and I have owned sailboats for over 10 years now and have sailed strickly in local waters (So Cal). If I was addressing a cruising forum (ie I assume world cruisers) I would introduce myself as someone with little to no experience as well.
jkirstein I am sure you will find your ideal boat. For us we did not really go looking for a particular brand of boat but a particular type and it worked well for us (we have the boat and now just killing a little time for my daughter to graduate HS in 2009).
Best,
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote