Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 14:15   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28
Help Us Choose A Boat - Please

Hi all, my fiance and I are in the midst of planning a cruise to the Sea of Cortez and thus we are also in the midst of shopping for that “perfect” boat. We thought we’d throw a post up here and see if anybody had:

a) a boat for sale that would suit our needs
b) any good advice on particular boat models, and
c) any good advice on general boat characteristics to suit our situation

Where: We’d like to buy a boat somewhere between Southern California and Puerto Vallarta. Our starting point is very flexible right now. This first trip will be mostly coastal (Pacific Coast of MX, and Sea of Cortez); we’re going to save crossing the big oceans for the next trip. That being said, seaworthy, seakindly, strongly built, etc are always good characteristics to have.

When: Around June/July of 2012. We’re planning on arriving in San Diego in late June.

Who: Me, Katie, and our dog Wylie

Needs:
28’-33’
Diesel engine that runs well, has been well maintained and has <1500 hrs
Standing rigging in good shape (< than 10 yrs old)
Free of major issues (Turnkey condition is asking a lot, but we’re looking for something to sail, not something to tinker on for a year)
Suit of sails in good shape
Protected rudder (skeg hung or full keel)
Unfortunately our budget is fairly meager, so probably nothing over $25k, depending on refit needs

Boats that are currently on our short list:
This is a list of boats that we’ve compiled that appear to meet most of our needs and have good reputations. By all means add to the list, or let us know why you’d take something off.

Bristol 29, Bristol 29.9, Bristol 30, Bristol 31.1, Bristol 32
Cape Dory 30, Cape Dory 31, Cape Dory 32
Challenger 32
Douglas 32
Ericson Independence 31
Sea Sprite 30
Southern Cross 31
Southen Cross 32
Tartan 30
Willard 30
Yankee 30
Westsail 32

For the sake of brevity (though I think I’ve failed already), we have more information about the trip and what we’re looking for in a boat on our website (this is not a shameless plug, but it’s there if anybody wants a few more details about our situation). Thanks in advance and we’re open to all ideas.--Mark and Katie
Old 25-01-2012, 14:57   #2

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Help us choose a boat, please

Mexico, June thru November is hurricane season....even on the Pacific Coast.
so if you are in the Sea of Cortez you will need to be north of La Paz to be out of the normal hurricane track. Have you searched yachtworld specifying the areas you would like to buy in, that would give you an idea of whats where. Good luck with the hunt.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 15:12   #3

Thanks Mexdon, we are aware of the hurricane season down there, if we ended up buying a boat in the Sea of Cortez, we'd hustle fast toward the north end. If we end up buying something in Southern California, we'd just wait out hurricane season up there, and head south in November. ...We have been searching Yachtworld like crazy, but we're feeling like maybe we need a different avenue (Sailnet and Cruisers Forum) to seek out sellers who might not have their boat on the market yet. Maybe give someone that's on the fence a little nudge to bite the bullet and sell. Perhaps there's someone that knows they want to sell their boat after the cruising season and doesn't want to make the Baja Bash back home. ...Thanks for the thoughts...Any comments on the list of boats?
Old 25-01-2012, 15:19   #4

Here's a link to a broker in Sonora. Remember the state of the market today people are accepting price up to 50% off list so don't be scared to make what might be a silly offer it just may get accepted. I am at the moment negotiating on a boat that was halved in price and I have put in an offer at 30% below that and we are still talking.

Sea Of Cortez Yachts (San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico)
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 25-01-2012, 15:24   #5

The yacht that I think could be interesting in the above listing is the Formosa 41. I know some people will shoot me down for this suggestion but many people love the leaky teakies and would not change for anything else. It is above your budget but you may get a deal.
Old 25-01-2012, 15:34   #6

Thanks again, We've been hearing similar stories about 50% of asking price as well, and while not counting on it, it gives us hope for some of the pricier boats on our list. ...Agreed the Formosa's are beautiful, but more than anything, we want to keep the length closer to the lower 30's (maintenance costs, slip fees, etc).