Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2009, 04:51   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
I think you should consider a Wauquiez Hood 38.

USCG 100T Master's License
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
John, after reading your posts, everyone on this website regrets that he or she did not purchase a Wauquiez Hood 38.

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46   #18

Boat: Island Packet 380
What boat is on the top of your sailing partners list? This should not be overlooked... lest you want to sail by yourself and be "one of those strange attention starved single sailors" that everyone else wishes to avoid like the plague. Get buy in now. Full time cruising is a couples game... if you want to play make sure your partner is "on board" with the decision.
I couldn't agree with you more. Mr. Sweetsailing is pretty serious about Island Packets. He is not as conflicted as I am about sexy traditional line boats. I guess he is more practical than I am. Our plan for cruising is most definitely a couple’s game for us. I just happen to be one of those rare women that are out there actively pursuing the dream and as a result, I don't think you would ever see a post from my husband on the subject of how to convince the misses that sailing and cruising is a good idea. I think some days I get a little ahead of him sometimes. Like most things in our life, we have embarked on multiple endeavors together and we see this as no exception.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 33T Hull #80
Hi, we did the same thing as many others have, although we looked for 5 years before we purchased our "home". My dh wanted a steel 45-50 no teak. I am only 4'11 and a 50 boat looked mighty big , I also wanted something that "If" something happened and one of us were airlifted off "I" could get the boat someplace safe, and feel comfortable about doing it.
Neither one of us were familure with the HC, we found her by going to yachtworld and instead of putting in a type of boat we put in our price range, at the bottom of many pages came the HC, we feel in love with her design, joined the HC board to ask a load of questions about them. She sails well in light air...our slogan is "we won't get anywhere real fast, but we will enjoy the sights along the way" anyway for a 33' boat she has a ton of storage space, we have had company on boad for several days and never felt cramped due to the double stern cabin with its own hanging locker and a queen pullman to port, and her galley is very nice, she has more space than some 40's we went on...But its not what really anyone says the moment you walk on board of many boats you will know when you have found your home...enjoy all the boats you look at and when you find your home take care of her and she will take care of you.
gigglingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:46   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you might want to consider a Cape Dory 36....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 13:44   #21

Boat: None currently
Slightly off point but references that muight help you refine your cruising boat criteria are: "Self Sufficient Sailor" by Lin and Larry Pardy and "How to Live Aboard a Boat" by Janet Groene.
Greg-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 14:08   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, the Nordic 40 is now in production again! The 44 may follow. (see this months Sail mag) I certainly wouldnt spend a lot of time worrying about docking, especially in your size range. A fin keel racer might improve it some, but whether long fin/skeg or full keel, you just have to get used to your boat. You'll be Cap'n Ron'n it in no time... all the Wauquiez' built in the 80's are just real nice boats... love the 38's as well. On the other hand, if you can afford a new IP, you will be sailing a lot more and a lot sooner than buying a fixer upper. (anything over about 7 years is a fixer upper!)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: