Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 08:13   #16

Boat: Robert Tucker "Ballerina" MkII wooden bilge keel sailing boat
Re: Help: Prop shaft under self draining cockpit floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
So let me understand...

You wanna cut a hole in a "wooden" boat hull???

I propose cutting flush with the hull, and patching and glassing over whatever I find there - hopefully just a hole for the tube and possibly some bolts.
boatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 08:20   #17

Boat: Robert Tucker "Ballerina" MkII wooden bilge keel sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Glass in either aluminum plate or encapsulated plywood around the lip of the cut out floor, and through bolt it by getting a small person or a larger child to hold the nut while you bolt it snug from above. This will tie the boat and the "lid" together. If you are worried, reinforce from below if you can to a tabbed in bulkhead.

You may have to glass a better lip around the cut out unless you are very fastidious with your sawing.

Of course, another option, one which is more expensive but less destructive and labour-intensive, is to cut a square for an access hatch in the floor of this type:
The hatch is an interesting option.
Sealing the cockpit floor with a small person or large child locked inside would be cruel...
I will take a closer look and poke around the edges, I might find screws at the floor edge. I would expect the builder (a very competent amateur) left himself an option to get to the stern tube from the inside.
boatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 08:59   #18

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

It is a bad idea to have any inaccessible places, especially on a wooden boat. You'll be wanting to unbolt that prop shaft strut and remove the cutlass bearing and pound in good quality, wooden plugs in all. If you decide to just cut a temporary access hole in the cockpit floor, cut it on the bevel as you would the top of a pumpkin. I highly recommend you obtain a Bronze or galvanized, Baier lift out hatch. The plastic, flush hatches just don't stand the test of time and UVs. Someday someone will jump into the cockpit and keep on going.

That was a really cool installation with the variable pitch prop. I am sorry you couldn't have resurrected the entire system.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 09:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Wood boats are sometimes quite structurally different than fg. You often cannot place an inspection port without compromising the boat. I suggest you visit the wooden boat forums online (sponsored by wooden boat magazine) where you'll find some very knowledgeable folks who will help you with great insights.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-03-2016, 10:42   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Have you thought about contacting Tony Tucker? Robert Tucker's son see Tucker Designs
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 12:56   #21

happy beat me two it. just saw all out the variable pitch pieces and remove the rest on the hard
volvo used to make a one cylinder without a gear box, you could pitch the prop in fwd neutral or reverse I pretty sure its the same thing
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 19:23   #22

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Wood boat? Remove the shaft epoxy a wood dowel rod about 1.5 mm (.0625 inch) smaller than the diameter of the shaft log and about 150 mm ( 6 inch s) long. remove the strut by drilling out the bolts. plug the bolt holes with dowels and epoxy then screw and epoxy wood plank, the same dimensions as the foot of the strut, into the recess where the strut was. preferably using the same wood as the hull has. if not a comparable hard wood. also the thinner the glue in the mating surface the stronger it will be. and make sure all surfaces are dry.

Why cut out the cockpit sole? On the inside where the shaft log comes out? that big hunk of wood? that is more than likely the Keelson...ie...the back bone of the boat. Be happy you have all that room that the engine took up and still have a sound vessel. Not to mention if you follow the above, it'll be les work and cost. I'd only go through the sole if it had rot.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:51   #23

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

from tinkrman69 <<Why cut out the cockpit sole? On the inside where the shaft log comes out? that big hunk of wood? that is more than likely the Keelson...ie...the back bone of the boat. Be happy you have all that room that the engine took up and still have a sound vessel>>.

years ago, we have restored many Robert Tucker's designs in the 2 Wivenhoe shipyards in Essex / UK.
Don't cut out the cockpit sole.
some history: http://http://www.fortpiercecitymarinaflorida.com/penryn/ballerina/roberttucker.html
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit