Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05   #16

Boat: mt34dt
Re: Help Please—Moving to the Reality Stage

Again thanks all. Just received a counter offer and a few goodies thrown in. Gonna mill it over this evening but it is looking like a real possibility on the SC31.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
Again thanks all. Just received a counter offer and a few goodies thrown in. Gonna mill it over this evening but it is looking like a real possibility on the SC31.
My main caution on that boat being 200 miles away is not the distance by sea but by land!

Any new (to you) boat needs a bit of tweaking or fixing before setting off on a delivery passage and doing that away from home is a PITA. and can be costly in time and money (including when "relying" on others). This one sounds like she will need a bit of work, at least in comparison to the others.

Obviously a difference between an easy 200 mile trip (couple of hours down the motorway) or the thick end of a day each way - or even a flight?, in any event neither allows for a quick nip onto the boat for a 5 minute job (or a quick nip home for a different screwdriver etc).....could even make a weekend a struggle.

Of course price does cure a few things .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:31   #18
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Couple of thoughts, maybe truck it to your back yard for the refit? Dont fool yourself about it being just a few quick fixes. After you drive there 6 times and end up with less than perfect repairs, it might begin to set in how the closer boat was a good idea. Also if you fiqure on spending $4000 for repairs, it will actually be $12,000. Have you put a boat into cruising form before? Its old so I would do all seacocks/through hulls, clamps, some new hose, backing plates epoxied in -thats a quick grand or more. I budget $1000 for every item on my list, sure some fixes only cost $100, but others $2500. I bet most of the main mechanicals on all 3 boats need more basic attention then you might think.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39   #19
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Cruising is very much about living well on the hook, but also sailing to get there. I would go for the princess just for the extra length. Most of the time a longer boat has the extra length in the middle, so 5 extra feet is 5' of wide, useable, living space. I doubt that you'll ever be pissed because the SC31 is just to big for all your stuff.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23   #20

Thanks all, the distance is the only thing that is hampering my decision at the moment. 4 hrs each way and then working all weekend is not my idea of a good time. Earliest I could get it to my locale would be first of April, however I could pay to have it delivered via inter-coastal. Definitely something to think about.
To all those that suggest the ketch, it stretches my budget but a very nice boat indeed.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:24   #21

Re: Help Please—Moving to the Reality Stage (update)

First off, thanks for all the great info. After making an offer, I withdrew because of the distance and upgrading needed on the SC31. I have now narrowed it down to an Allied Princess and Allied Seabreeze. Both are in very good condition and each have their +'s and -'s.
Seabreeze +:
well maintained, sailed regularly by knowledgeable sailor
newer sails (omar 2 yrs old)
10-12k less than princess
bottom fresh
-'s:
have to have delivered-1K
no canvas (dodger, bimini)
little electronics
black hull (although looks great)
capacities (water bladder needed)
less roomy interior, mostly in beam

Princess +:
local
slip paid through Aug 13
well equipped for cruising, (radar, new stove, newer standing rigging (4 years old), life raft, epirb, rewired, newer yanmar, newer sea-cocks, monitor vane, dodger)
ketch
roomier interior
-'s:
10k more,
needs bottom paint
cost eats up most of kitty
ketch

Both boats appeal to me and appear to have good bones, and I could live and cruise on either. I know on paper with all the equipment the Princess is probably the clear cut winner, but I currently do not need a self steering vane, radar, or life raft; but would probably like to have these in future. The newer rigging, motor, and, larger capacities are steering me to the Princess.

Question: Am I over thinking this? I think I'm stressing too much about my budget. Seabreeze would leave me with 60% of purchase price for upgrades (survey, dodger, bimini, delivery, electronics, water bladder, taxes, registration) and Princess about 20% for (survey,bottom job, taxes, registration). Both will need ac as I will be living aboard.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32   #22

Boat: Irwin 40

If you plan on living aboard I would opt for interior space, back hull here in the south will require some upkeep (wax on wax off) The Princess sounds like a better deal with new engine, rigging and canvas
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 18:04   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Black hulls can look beautiful, true. However, in hot, sunny places that black absorbs heat like mad. Just so's you know in advance. It may, because of its color, actually require your adding ventilation. If you love being hot, disregard this notice!

Ann Cate, asv Insatiable II, lying Little Sandy Bay, Hobart
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:13   #24

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I reckon your $10,000 difference could be eaten up by the life raft, new dodger and updated electrics etc etc. Also away from shore power it is most important that your battery charging system is foolproof. Check out the cost difference needed to ensure you have a reliable and manageable off-grid power system. For me another tick for the ketch. See BobConnie post above.
Whatever you choose you will be lusting to spend far more than you need to.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 19:53   #25

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Go with the Seabreeze! Purchase all your needed electronics from a boat show; all their brand new demo/show models are price negotiable up to 25% off. Stay away from black color, if you intend on sailing in a warm climate. Keep us posted! Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Unless the purchase will curtail your plans - then the Princess seems to be the clear winner (assuming both boats are fundamentally sound). Not only is the stuff you will later want likely cheaper than even s/h stuff you will be able to buy (and some will need to be purchased new - even though you don't need it new) - but it's also fitted, and that is a saving in both cash and aggro!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

and she is local!
Old 05-02-2013, 13:53   #28

Update. I went to the dark side and offered a price within my budget for a trawler I've been eying for 6 months but way out of my price range and it was accepted. I decided to teach 4 more years, living onboard and cruising during the summer and the extra room will be a big plus. It is also at the marina I want to live in, 4 miles from work. I really liked both of the Allied's and if I were to take off tomorrow the Princess would have gotten the nod. Ok, I bought an 84 MT34 double cabin, I know not the best made Trawler, but I got it for what I was willing to pay. All systems are up and running, with 48 mi radar, ssb, bow thruster, single engine just serviced Lehman 120, new diesel gen (onan), new fuel tanks, new ac and heat, gps chart-plotter, windless, staysail. Teak trim needs attention, teak deck have been sealed no leaks and interior is very clean. Sea trial and survey maybe this week.
Old 08-02-2013, 13:53   #29

If you don't buy the Trawler, I have a sweet Cape Dory 27' completely rigged out for cruising, if you are interested.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote