Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2007, 06:30   #1

HELP! Please?

Can anyone out there help me with a set of plans for a Van de Stadt "Dogger" - design no 10.

I have the boat out of the water at the moment trying to do some restoration, so a copy of the plans would be a great help.

To make matters worse, I have lost all the sails and all the navigation equipment in a fire in our shed so I really cannot justify the 800 Euros plus that Van de Stadt are asking for the plans. Without the plans I cannot even get quotes for sails as I do not have the dimensions and our insurance company are being really "amusing" with their offer!

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Rose.
roseandpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 08:21   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rose, I would try to find out what loft made your original sales, or contact the major lofts to ask if they have dimensions on file. Surely, SOMEONE has already made these sails and has dimensions on file. I know that doesn't ensure that they have fully accurate and correct dimensions--but it is a start, and about 800Eu cheaper than buying the plans.

Your best defence against an amusing insurance company is to check your policy terms, and then call your state insurance commission (if you are in the US) or similar consumer/insurance regulatory agency. Find out what your laws entitle you to, what your contract binds you to, and then make it clear to the insurer that you will require them to conform to the laws.

Begin every phone call with asking the party's name and position, and let them know that and their comments will be on the record. If their manner is unprofessional, ask them who their supervisor is and then politely insist the supervisor be put on the phone. Don't allow them to play games with you.

Since you don't say where you are, I won't speculate any further on how you can deal with them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 08:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Given that 800 Euros = 1,148.32 U.S. dollars, and you’re not actually trying to BUILD the yacht - just "trying to do some restoration", you might take a look at their “Study Plans” (< 50 Euros/$72), .
A standard set of study plans comprises:
1. Main sections of the yacht, including construction details and dimensions of all available building constructions.
2. Basic list of materials for hull, deck and timber or building specification.
3. Sailplan, including dimensions of sails, required mast section and the diameter and type of standing rigging.
4. Deck layout showing all deck fittings, including hatches and winches, and their types and sizes.
5. Interior plan, top and side views.
6. List of all drawings that are included in the complete set of building plans
7. Polar diagram and stability curve.

StadtDesign: Home page

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 06:19   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
In most marine policies, sails are usually subject to depreciation, which is probably why the offer is so low. As HelloSailor suggests, read over your policy to see what the terms are. Providing documentation of the new replacement cost is a good start, however, if depreciation is a factor, you might also do some research and see what similar size, age & construction sails sell for on the used market. That will help you understand the basis for the insurance adjuster's offer, and have something to counter with.

Assuming that you don't navigate only inland waters, your state insurance commission does not have authority over your Marine Insurance Policy. They can ask questions & generally annoy your agent, but your policy is most likely subject to International Maritime Law. Your agent should be on your side, helping you to present your case in the best possible manner to the insurance company's adjuster for a fair payout.