Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2014, 13:18   #1

Help picking a boat.

Names Jack, 28, I currently live in Charlotte NC, and recently got the bug to change my life and start living aboard and sailing around. Same as most people it would seem.

I am in a unique position as i see many liveaboards are. I currently have my own business in graphics/programming, and can live on a residual income for months on end before having to work again.

I'm single with two cats, and have been brought up to be fairly independent, and for the first time in my life, feel real independent.

So the question is, as i've been pondering for the last month, searing every website out there about sailing, what about would fit me and my needs.

My budget, i think ill set at around 100-120k as that is on the lower end that id like to spend, though i could maybe afford the payment on something larger, that down-payment will make me little while longer to get into the water.

I keep coming back to Beneteau's and Island packets and nice boats, but I'm not sure if that is just because they are well advertised or not. I see a lot of lvieaboard/cruiser own many different style/brand of boats, all for good reasons im sure.

Was thinking 30 to 40 feet, maybe up to 45 if that is suggested, but i feel a newer, smaller ship would be better and more economical in the long run.

-a boat 100k-120k used, sailboat
-good enough for one guy to sail single handed and maneuver, but also fun with crew for longer voyages.
-a refrigerator
-solar panels
-bimini, full to protect against the elements while sailing or having my morning tea.
-a place to put a computer, small one, with a monitor bolted onto somewhere. i have seen people do this to their salon table, might work for me.
-dingy for getting to shore.
-i believe most of the boats i looked at had well equipped nav equipment as i will need it.

I figure that's the bar basics for myself. Other cool things can be added later.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide to set me in the right direction of my future home on the seas.

FlyingJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:30   #2

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Help picking a boat.

Welcome! and good luck, you'll learn a lot on here but the biggest thing you can learn is that you can't listen to others- we are all very opionated. Some of us know less than others (me being in the less catagory).
Take everything with a grain of salt it will be much easier

biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Something like the IP will likely serve you better than a Bene, unless you are just living aboard and sailing locally. Then the opposite might be true!
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 14:16   #4

So I guess the two boats that would fit into that range for me is the beneteau 373 or the Island packet 350.

Both layouts i like for the most part. The IP is much holder. So another question would be how much does age matter with these two boats. I'm not looking to have a boat i immediately need to spend time fixing up, but rather one already ready to go.

The Beneteau 373 from around 2006 look to be in my price range, and the IP 350 would be like a 1998 it looks like. Give or take if price changes and availability.

The Gemini catamaran is in that range to, and much newer, however, i am not sure on the space. catamarans are cool but to pricey for my right now. Except the gemini of course.

I will be looking at all kinds of boats I'm sure for the next few months. First is taxes, and then followed by a few months saving like hell with a few product updates to help income speed up.

I going to look at going to a liveaboard sail school in Charleston to get my feet wet since i have no prior sailing experience. I also need to really get on board a boat to really get a feel for how big of one i need, or what my real requirements my be.

I think its going to be a runner up between these two class of boats unless someone as a strong feeling otherwise for a different boat.

A boat to start with would be the goal. Once in the water, I'm sure to learn all kinds of things from those already doing about what i may want to upgrade to in the future.
FlyingJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 16:14   #5

Boat: Pearson 35

First, you have plenty of cash and I would spend less to ensure you get the boat in great shape as things will always show up. Where and how you will sail will help you make the decision. There is an awesome seaworthy boat up at my yacht club here in VA 3 hours from Charlotte. It is an Amel Sharky and at a great price. Self steering gear and a serious blue water boat, I think it is in the 50 k range? A ketch I believe, needs some sweat equity, heck of a boat. I have no interest in the sale, she is a big beautiful boat.

I was in the advertising business and first did photography. I was at the Beneteau plant and a sling had broken and the boat fell off the crane into the test pool and survived the fall. It is a production boat but I am a real advocate, the people laying them up are what makes the difference.

I love Dickerson 37 boats for draft and build. Pacific Seacraft in your price range.

Get a great surveyor and remember it is easy to get a great deal in your price range, buy as if you will be selling soon.

Ask people down on Lake Norman to go out and get a feel of different boats.

Good luck,
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: