Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 03:09   #46

Boat: Oyster 62/03
Re: Help Out a Disabled, Landlubbing Old Paratrooper

Ann is absolutely right, get yourself better first and get rid of that Bayliner. Boats have a habit of collecting somehow, and you don't need any more stress at this point in your life.

All the very best with your op and recovery, you can also be an armchair sailor for a while, there is so much on the Internet, and you can do some homework whilst you are recuperating!
Old 23-11-2015, 14:27   #47
cruiser

I don't know what the local sailing scene is where you are. Are there any yacht clubs? Is there much sailing there? Any racing?

If there exists a club and racing program, crewing on someone else's boat could answer many questions regarding the physical demands of the sport. If you get your own boat a strong young junior sailor makes an excellent labor-saving crew.

The suggestion of a partner was a good one, I think. It is possible to find one that would be interested in sharing the operating expenses in return for instruction, crewing opportunity, and occasional use of the boat, no capital buy-in required. I have been offered this arrangement in the past.

It sounds like you want a sailboat and it is my observation that most people will do what they want regardless of advice.

You mentioned a Catalina 27 and that sounds appealing, but the previous advice that smaller boat=fewer demands on oneself was good advice.

You will want a keel boat with a substantial outboard motor. Perhaps something like a Cal 20, Catalina 22, a J22, or a J24.

Walk the docks, prowl the yards, chat up the yard manager, the guy at the end of the yacht club bar (and the bar tender).

I think your ground tackle should be the heaviest you can handle. Remember, you will be sailing in difficult waters--strong current, vessel traffic, breezy days, and an inhospitable shore always at hand. Should an emergency arise you will appreciate your anchor and gear. No Danforths.

Good luck and keep us posted

Paul

De Oppresso Liber
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 16:29   #48
vjm

Just a thought: consider a motor sailer. I love the Fisher 25s, and they are my "last boat" plan. There are certainly other similar options. That way, if you are going through a rough patch you don't even have to bother with the sails, and when you feel more up to it you can sail instead of motor. The downside is that you are paying upkeep on two primary systems instead of a primary and a secondary. The pilothouse option would be nice where you are and would encourage you to go out even when conditions are not perfect, without exhausting yourself.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:44   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Just a thought: consider a motor sailer.
Good point!

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:43   #50
vjm

Thank you Paul!

On the less spendy side there is also Lyle Hess's La Paz 25. Shoal draft though, so you would need to decide if that works for your sailing area.

These aren't going to be the responsive performers that are usually recommended for beginning sailors, but given the parameters it seems like a workable solution. At this size, weights are less, built up forces are less, and systems are frequently simplified.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote