Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 11:11   #31

Boat: Newport 28 II
Re: Help me spend money!

Hudson force 50
You could get a decent one for 150,000
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 11:13   #32

Help me spend money!

A Tartan 40 would fit all your needs perfectly. Built to sail anywhere, and sail well. Perfect price point for you as well. I know you said 42 feet, but just throwing it out there. It checks off most of your boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 17:25   #33

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Skipping all the nonsense and poorly thought out counter-arguments, you are in the classical "catamaran" range, both price and feature range

Unless you're a sailing "purist", a well designed and styled catamaran will sail very well on most points of sail, even in moderate breezes, is ideal for coastal cruising and shallow-seas cruising such as is found in the Caribbean, and offers WAY more living comfort-per-dollar than any monohull design. Today, this style of boat is in high supply in the 10-year-old range and is affordable, whereas in the past they were not.

An older used monohull that meets your criteria will likely be large, heavy, very deep drafted, and probably more difficult to single hand. It will not move at all in light to moderate winds.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 17:48   #34

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Well that's very good except you should look at zero to cruising to see that they came from cat to mono...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Well that's very good except you should look at zero to cruising to see that they came from cat to mono...
It sounds interesting, I'll take a look at it.
Old 23-11-2015, 08:08   #36

ZTC is a couple who used to own a martial arts and fitness biz; they bought their PDQ32 and headed off around the world with no experience.

That led to a captaining job which ended badly (owner's fault) but was on the way out as they considered doing high latitude sailing, anyway; they bought an Amel. Super folk, I'm sure they'd be happy to share what they used to drive their purchase, but likely it would be a specific type to fit your needs.
Old 24-11-2015, 01:10   #37

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Did you make space for the baby grand yet?
You mean this one?

working on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0340.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	113692  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 02:10   #38

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
From reading their blog, I got an impression that they did not actually own the cat (don't know maybe they owned a share in it). Then, misunderstandings/problems with the real owner (or majour stake owner) followed, which led to the decision. So it has nothing to do with a cat->mono transition because they wanted so, but rather with monetary/ownership/management issues (the whole thing was not so much "pure" cruising/liveaboard project, but rather charter/business project that financed their cruising/liveaboard, and as such, having others involved, was prone to human errors and other subjective junk). Well, at least that's what I thought after reading the story. I don't know if I am not mistaken, maybe those who have more facts can correct me.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 04:53   #39

You didn't go far enough back.

The stuff you read was someone who hired them as crew for luxury charters; they put their PDQ32 up on the hard in Trinidad while they went working.

They're now sailing in an Amel which likely would be ideal for OP.

So, start on a PDQ32, with no experience, and then buy an Amel after many years of successful sailing on their own, and, for a couple of years before the Amel, on someone else' much larger cat, have the owner hit on their daughter while on a bye week cruise, quit their job and buy a world-class mono.

Start at the beginning for the proper understanding. It's an anomaly that they were doing crewed charters; they started on a cat and now are sailing a mono.

They're not alone; read Bumfuzzle, now ashore doing land cruising; they went around the world in a cat before buying a mono. Again, don't read the last year and conclude that they're RV'ers who happened to be sailing for a while...

fwiw, the boat they sold to go ashore likely would also suit, but likely also too old and require too much work, as a type, compared to the Amel under discussion...
Old 24-11-2015, 05:25   #40

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
You didn't go far enough back.

The stuff you read was someone who hired them as crew for luxury charters; they put their PDQ32 up on the hard in Trinidad while they went working..
Aha! This is how it was. Thank you, now the picture is more or less clear I was not reading them on a daily basis, rather once every couple months, so I guess I missed lots of stuff.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:33   #41

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

My mantra is .. behind the only reasons I could move from my 54' mono:

A large after cabin
Ketch/yawl rigging

Be ready to transform a cabin into office, and any additional head into your home_factory
Add insulation yourself, all around.

Your budget is tight, though. On a 50' you get a 10yo boat for 150k, and factor in additional 60-80 to revamp +sails (25k for serious ww cruising).

I would consider a solid boat from 1985-1995 approx. Whereby even Jeanneau and B were solid indeed
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09   #42

Boat: Alberg 35

There are many ways to do so many things...

Office: Pelican case containing modern laptop, small scanner and a battery operated Canon printer.Good space for basic office supplies. Internet via an aircard, local wifi, etc.
I had a multi-track 12v recording studio aboard my CD28 back in the 1980's.

Routes to travel: Circumnavigations can be along the milk runs, or take you to high lats. The requirements for each are vastly different.

Many boats already mentioned could be used quite well. The OP mentioned a budget for purchase, but (unless I missed it) there was no mention of budget for outfitting or while underway.

Airconditioning can be done, but unless you insulate the entire boat as you would a fridge, it will take quite a lot of power to do. More power=more cruising chips. Good ventilation works wonders while at anchor, less well in a crowded marina.

Something like an Amel, Deerfoot or some of the modern cats might increase initial cost, but reduce refit costs enough to think about. S and L Dashew have done some good work on this style of cruising.

Here is another thought: get a simpler boat and use the money saved to stay in a B&B or hotel to get some of the space and amenities you would not have easily on board.
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:22   #43

The OP is in the 40+ range. This is nothing at all like a PDQ.

My rule of thumb that I've repeated many times is that, below 38' or so, a Catamaran starts having "liveability" problems, and a monohull may be more liveable.

Conversely, about 36' a monohull begins to have "size" problems, and a 38+ catamaran begins to look better as a cruising vessel.

So I would absolutely expect that someone moving from a 32' catamaran would find a monohull to be more accommodating, but for $150,000 and up, most people will prefer the catamaran UNLESS they are monohull sailing purists or have a special application.

Tags
money