Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 19:09   #61

Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Kalinowski is right. Set aside some percentage of your 350 for upgrades WHATEVER boat you are buying.

Just think of it: a new Musto HPX kit is well over 1k.

We bought a 15k boat 15 years ago and she still needed a dinghy ($300-$500 used) and a solar panel ($100-$200 new) before we ventured off, ah ... and a shore power charger ($100-$200 new), new life vests ($150 each new) ... ah, yes ... I nearly forgot: and a new depth ($200-300 new), ssb receiver ($500-$1000 used) and ...

Given the number of awesome boats to be had in the 100-200 bracket, you are one lucky duck!

b.
For a grand total of what - $3,000-$4,000 in extra expenses? So it makes the boat an under $20,000.00 one instead of $15,000.00 even? And your complaint is?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:10   #62

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Hum.. 350k US$ budget is almost insufficient to buy a brand new , good quality 45', if liveaboard needs and high seas fittings are considered...

And a 40' new boat is comfortable for you two, yes, but gets crowdy with another couple, and forces you to fighting for more space....

I'd consider a strong build of some 15-20 years, provided you can look after a serious refit personally.
If you can't now, as advised, buy an even older (cheaper) boat, get practice on her, then upgrade and refit her...

Old boats beyond 50' LOA are cheap now since market has developed faster lines, and costs are too high for under-used boats on dock...
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 21:42   #63

Boat: Herreschoff 52'

What ever you do : dont buy a cat if you want to sail : It is for a very obvious reason that God gave 2 engines to monohulls ! They mostly struggle going upwind...
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 21:57   #64

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

HI Yes welcome to this forum!!!I have owned a 36 ft Dean Catamaran an Aero not the old slammer type and sailed it often around The Cape Of Storms and was amazed at what seas this lil cat could handle .I have also crewed on a 40 ft Robertson and Caine Cat from Cape town to Forteleza and then to the BVI's a trip with 2 days ashore that took 45 days with sailing under sail only on 22 of those days the rest either motor sailing or motoring only.I have crewed also on a 42 day trip on a 44 ft Swan monohull from Panama to Los Angeles and had bad seas with a near lightning strike while heading into Golfito to repair the alternator.We did the so called Baja Bash route in the wrong direction so it did get really nasty at times and with only me and the Capt aboard it was quite a challenging trip .Very challenging with the heel of the mono hull trying to cook in stormy weather etc .I prefer a catamaran for stability and lack of heel to a monohull for sailing comfort and space but their size is a huge handicap in terms of finding available moorings and of course you pay double what a monohull would cost for berthing fees .You are no longer spring chickens at 50 and have enough money to buy new not second hand which will diminish your sailing time in terms of having more repairs to do .You do want to see the world not the boatyards .Buy a well recognized brand and do sail on the specific type of boat you may be keen on even if it is not for sale .Find an owner and speak to him/her and ask ask ask .Ask them to take you for a sail and bring along a few tasty treats to make the day even better.If I know you are interested in buying a boat of the same type that I own then there is an immediate bonding .Have fun and you might contact Bruce at bruce@boatbrokers.co.za as he has some really good deals here in South Africa .Remember a 6000 nm trip aboard your Cat out of Cape Town will land you up in the Caribbean and it is normally a very cool trip from CT to Brazil .You will also find a lot of local crew looking for mileage for their tickets as the delivery of new cats out of CT has gone down tremendously in the last 5 years due to the unsettled world economy.
Some will be experienced for the crossing having completed a few and having someone like that aboard your new boat is always a good thing .We were three souls aboard and it was perfect as the watches were not too long .If you want me to look at any boats in South Africa on your behalf for a second opinion I might be able to help.It will be totally unbiased as I have no connection to the brokers at all.
All the best and kind regards,David .ps my skype is davey.dave11 if you want to chat personally about anything .
Old 07-02-2016, 22:22   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What ever you do : dont buy a cat if you want to sail : It is for a very obvious reason that God gave 2 engines to monohulls ! They mostly struggle going upwind...
Whatever you do - don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about. I know many many cats that would get upwind better than Mr Ethereal's Ketch
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:43   #66

Quote:
Weird post. You say God supposedly gave monohulls 2 engines because they struggle going upwind. (From what I've seen they struggle to go anywhere but straight to the bottom...)

So why would that be a reason not to buy a cat?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:51   #67

If I had to buy a boat and had $350k to spend, I'd buy this:

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...m-44c-Maia.pdf

Plenty of space, extreme shoal draught, excellent sailing performance, and easy to handle.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 23:09   #68

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Weird post. You say God supposedly gave monohulls 2 engines because they struggle going upwind. (From what I've seen they struggle to go anywhere but straight to the bottom...)

So why would that be a reason not to buy a cat?
Which mono hulls commonly have two engines or am I missing something?
Old 07-02-2016, 23:15   #69

God gave 2 engines to cats because they mostly dont go upwind very well.
That doesnt mean all catamarans...
Still my personal opinion after skippering a 65 ft cat for some time and sailing a few others: I would never buy a catamaran . More so because of the motion at sea , and the fact that most of 'm dont have a classic "boat" feel. Interiours are mostly clinical and plastic.
They are good living platforms though! Spacious.
Cheers !
Old 07-02-2016, 23:22   #70

Typo or predictive spelling ! Sorry...
God gave two engines to most Catamarans so they can go better upwind ! Dont deny it , its a fact !
Old 08-02-2016, 00:55   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
God gave two engines to most Catamarans so they can go better upwind ! Dont deny it , its a fact !
Rubbish, just absolute mind numbingly stupid rubbish
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:13   #72

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
I love facts on internet! Pretty sure the intelligent designer of cats was not god... I would have thought the number of engines reflect the number of hulls, no?

If I had a budget of 350k$ I would also be looking at buying and updating a Nauticat 42, like Juho.

If I were the OP however, I would heed the advice, read a lot and go see different boats and visit boat shows to get a feel for what is available.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:23   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackAttack View Post
We want a 42 - 48 ft sturdy, well built cruiser that we can outfit to be sailed by a couple in their fifties, but with enough room for occasional family, friends and crew. We want to start along the Eastern Seaboard then Bahamas and into Caribbean. Eventually joining ARC events in the Panama Canal and South Pacific.
Here is your boat:

http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/Brokerage/boat_detail.php?id=454863

Forget about a catamaran.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34   #74

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Monohull > catamaran = predictive spelling?!
And since when do all cats have 2 engines?

I'm a monuhull kinda gal. I've been on only a few cats, and I didn't like them much to be honest.
When it comes to the sailing, they have their pros and cons, just like monohulls. As liveaboards, I think the modern cats (Lagoons etc.) look way too "Ikea" and plastic inside - nothing that makes me feel at home, so to speak.
But -- that is just my personal (lack of) taste. And: the same is true for a lot of modern monohulls as well. You just notice it way more (or, I do anyway) when on a cat, due to the size of the salon.

In my personal opinion, there are some beautiful monohulls out there. I've never, ever seen a beautiful cat. Just less ugly ones

But .. as much as I prefer monohulls, I am currently looking at some older, small Prouts. Nothing much to look at -as in, I love the lines of my current boat, and there's nothing beautiful about a Prout- but with only a few more feet in hull length I would have so much more living space ...

The Ohlson is a pretty fast & good boat to sail, and she'll definitely do better sailing upwind. But looking at comfort and living space, even a little old Prout (32' ish) beats my current boat. No doubt.
And since cruising is pretty much sailing from anchorage to anchorage, those two aspects become more important then sailing upwind. Even the real miles (like a month long ocean crossing) are downwind, so I see no reason not to compromise on upwind sailing abilities.

The different makes & models of cats all have their pros and cons, just like the different monohulls. And whatever boat you buy, it'll always be a compromise. Especially for living aboard and cruising.

ANYONE posting comments which boil down to "all cats suck" or "all monohulls suck" is pretty much saying they lack the ability to look at all the different makes & models and their pros and cons. And exactly what is a pro or con doesn't just depend on the boat, but also on how the boat will be used, and by whom.

I grew up on both sail and powered boats. I've always had sailboats - from small little racers to larger cruisers. I love my little Ohlson, much prefer monohulls, but for the cruising years I am considering a small cat. After that, back to a monohull for local sailing and when I'm too old & tired to sail, I'll buy myself a big, ugly powered boat and enjoy the space and comfort that has to offer.

My perfect boat is the one I can afford (that rules out about 99,9% of boats, haha), and offers me the best compromise on my current needs. And as my life changes, so will my needs ... and with that, the boats I'll be living on. It's that simple.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:11   #75

Boat: Ohlson 29

Warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
What does Zezo[?] think of using a cat to sail upon the seas?
Haha, yes, Zezo, +1 for remembering
The last couple of days, she seems to enjoy visiting a Lagoon a few slips over. Maybe she's trying to tell me something?