Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 12:52   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The OP should find a good boat broker to work with.
In case the OP makes it this far I'm going to tell him again. The broker isn't going to be looking to make fun of you or belittle you. If they do get a different one. But they should sit down with you to discuss your wants and needs etc., but if they don't get again till you do.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:54   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Over 200 boats (minus any catomoron) :-)
And people wonder why multihull owners get cranky, The OP Posted a request for assistance in a multihull forum, the very first thing you do is insult multihull owners.
Quote:
For me, opinion, a cat is not a high seas boat; I came to this conclusion after 1 hour in the Med in a 50 foot Katana (top of the food chain for catamarans).
Wow - a whole hour - wow? and Catana - whilst quite a good boat is definitely not top of the food chain.
Quote:
The winds were F7 and there were 3 meter waves... when one of these slaps under the center partof the hull, you immediately think it will not survive much more of this. (OPINION)
I am pleased that you were rescued from the disaster that befell you after you didn't survive this whole hour.

Quote:
For me, only a monohull will do the job you suggest. In the list above, you will find an IP 485, a Garcia, numerous Contests, some Tartans etc. All these boats will do what you want...
Except of course that if the OP wanted a mono - he may have posted in the mono section. Multis can't go round the world? seems like they havebeen doing that for some time to me.
Quote:
Our own boat would satisfy you also. Although it is a ketch and larger than you wish after a COMPLETE refit, the total price of our boat is about the same as you want to pay but here is what you get:
Ah now I understand - you have a number of agendas.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58   #48

Boat: Ohlson 29

This is why I am considering golf instead of sailing: the never ending bickering.
Mono is better! No, cats! This anchor! No, that anchor!

Pfffft.

How, pray tell, does all that help the OP or anyone reading here?
Old 07-02-2016, 13:04   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
This is why I am considering golf instead of sailing: the never ending bickering.

Pfffft.

Could not agree more. Here is an idea, just once when someone posts in a multi forum, seeking advice, perhaps people with actual experience on multis could post, and by actual experience I mean more than an hour or a charter holiday. I rarely post in the mono area because my experience on monos for about 25-30 years now is limited to a couple of hours a week, and the occasional delivery, sure I have some exposure to the newer range of boats but not enough to form opinions worth sharing, that doesn't seem to be the case with quite a few people who post in the Multihull section of this forum.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 13:14   #50

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Buy a $250k boat. Then use the $100k for repairs/upgrades/custom work.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 13:51   #51

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

MY ADVISE - Go to the Miami boat show and start boarding boats! I too had a mono-hull I dreamed about and was going to get - then I went to the Miami Boat Show and boarded the cats!! That was 10 years ago.

That was when I realized that the reason I wanted a mono, was because that was all I new. Once I saw all of the advantages of a cat - I bought a cat. No comparison!!
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 14:33   #52

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

Pfffft.

What does Zezo[?] think of using a cat to sail upon the seas? I thought cats hated water! :]

You know you are going sailing...just take one driver and a bucket of balls for when you are becalmed!!
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 14:37   #53

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
MY ADVISE - Go to the Miami boat show and start boarding boats! I too had a mono-hull I dreamed about and was going to get - then I went to the Miami Boat Show and boarded the cats!! That was 10 years ago.

That was when I realized that the reason I wanted a mono, was because that was all I new. Once I saw all of the advantages of a cat - I bought a cat. No comparison!!
This is great advice! We've been several times & this is THE boat show in Florida. Plan on several days. We always stayed out at the beach & rode the water taxi to the different venues.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:26   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And people wonder why multihull owners get cranky, The OP Posted a request for assistance in a multihull forum, the very first thing you do is insult multihull owners.
Now that IS wierd! Is some mod playing a joke?

When I responded (Post #5) this was in the monohull section and for some reason it's been moved to the multihull section.

Would some mod care to explain how/why this happened.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:31   #55

Boat: Herreschoff 52'

I own a52 ft Herreshoff built in NZ in hand laid GRP , quality mahogany interior, set up for single handed sailing, cutter rigged, not over rigged so very forgiving, great galley spacious bathroom. She would totally serve your purpose if you are ready to start cruising in the South Pacific where she currently is !
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:40   #56

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Each time someone asks a question like that I somehow get the feeling that the same person would not be asking "what kind of a spouse should I get?" or "what is the budget for finding and keeping a good spouse?". But somehow questions like that keep popping up and we are expected to answer them with a straight face.

PS To OP: If you plan to sail in the tropics get a light color boat. If in the north latitudes get a darker one. Just like with spouses only the other way around.
Well put!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:55   #57

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
350k u got to be kidding ...stay on the hard in ur irion.d white pants and pressed collard shirt and sip marti ans
Well I certainly don't understand this post????
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 16:07   #58

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Well I certainly don't understand this post????
That would be a troll post. Ignoring them is advised
Old 07-02-2016, 16:39   #59

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinowski View Post
Buy a $250k boat. Then use the $100k for repairs/upgrades/custom work.
Kalinowski is right. Set aside some percentage of your 350 for upgrades WHATEVER boat you are buying.

Just think of it: a new Musto HPX kit is well over 1k.

We bought a 15k boat 15 years ago and she still needed a dinghy and a solar panel before we ventured off, ah ... and a shore power charger, new life vests ... ah, yes ... I nearly forgot: and a new depth, ssb receiver and ...

Given the number of awesome boats to be had in the 100-200 bracket, you are one lucky duck!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post

Funny but that's how I was PUT OFF the cats. Looking at them at Newport Boat show for several years in a row I hated the IKEA style (and "quality") interiors, the landlubber condo look of everything and the huge potential costs of docking, mooring, repairs, etc. For the price of a decent new cat I can get a top of the line 5-10 year old mono and have enough left over for a 20+ years worth of generous cruising kitty. Thanks but no thanks.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote