Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 20:09   #61
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Kalinowski is right. Set aside some percentage of your 350 for upgrades WHATEVER boat you are buying.

Just think of it: a new Musto HPX kit is well over 1k.

We bought a 15k boat 15 years ago and she still needed a dinghy ($300-$500 used) and a solar panel ($100-$200 new) before we ventured off, ah ... and a shore power charger ($100-$200 new), new life vests ($150 each new) ... ah, yes ... I nearly forgot: and a new depth ($200-300 new), ssb receiver ($500-$1000 used) and ...

Given the number of awesome boats to be had in the 100-200 bracket, you are one lucky duck!

b.
For a grand total of what - $3,000-$4,000 in extra expenses? So it makes the boat an under $20,000.00 one instead of $15,000.00 even? And your complaint is?
__________________

__________________
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 20:10   #62
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: the Med
Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Posts: 1,066
Images: 3
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Hum.. 350k US$ budget is almost insufficient to buy a brand new , good quality 45', if liveaboard needs and high seas fittings are considered...

And a 40' new boat is comfortable for you two, yes, but gets crowdy with another couple, and forces you to fighting for more space....

I'd consider a strong build of some 15-20 years, provided you can look after a serious refit personally.
If you can't now, as advised, buy an even older (cheaper) boat, get practice on her, then upgrade and refit her...

Old boats beyond 50' LOA are cheap now since market has developed faster lines, and costs are too high for under-used boats on dock...
__________________

__________________
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:42   #63
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Pacific; Fiji, Vanuatu
Boat: Herreschoff 52'
Posts: 13
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

What ever you do : dont buy a cat if you want to sail : It is for a very obvious reason that God gave 2 engines to monohulls ! They mostly struggle going upwind...
__________________
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:57   #64
Registered User
 
Kreef's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 83
Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

HI Yes welcome to this forum!!!I have owned a 36 ft Dean Catamaran an Aero not the old slammer type and sailed it often around The Cape Of Storms and was amazed at what seas this lil cat could handle .I have also crewed on a 40 ft Robertson and Caine Cat from Cape town to Forteleza and then to the BVI's a trip with 2 days ashore that took 45 days with sailing under sail only on 22 of those days the rest either motor sailing or motoring only.I have crewed also on a 42 day trip on a 44 ft Swan monohull from Panama to Los Angeles and had bad seas with a near lightning strike while heading into Golfito to repair the alternator.We did the so called Baja Bash route in the wrong direction so it did get really nasty at times and with only me and the Capt aboard it was quite a challenging trip .Very challenging with the heel of the mono hull trying to cook in stormy weather etc .I prefer a catamaran for stability and lack of heel to a monohull for sailing comfort and space but their size is a huge handicap in terms of finding available moorings and of course you pay double what a monohull would cost for berthing fees .You are no longer spring chickens at 50 and have enough money to buy new not second hand which will diminish your sailing time in terms of having more repairs to do .You do want to see the world not the boatyards .Buy a well recognized brand and do sail on the specific type of boat you may be keen on even if it is not for sale .Find an owner and speak to him/her and ask ask ask .Ask them to take you for a sail and bring along a few tasty treats to make the day even better.If I know you are interested in buying a boat of the same type that I own then there is an immediate bonding .Have fun and you might contact Bruce at bruce@boatbrokers.co.za as he has some really good deals here in South Africa .Remember a 6000 nm trip aboard your Cat out of Cape Town will land you up in the Caribbean and it is normally a very cool trip from CT to Brazil .You will also find a lot of local crew looking for mileage for their tickets as the delivery of new cats out of CT has gone down tremendously in the last 5 years due to the unsettled world economy.
Some will be experienced for the crossing having completed a few and having someone like that aboard your new boat is always a good thing .We were three souls aboard and it was perfect as the watches were not too long .If you want me to look at any boats in South Africa on your behalf for a second opinion I might be able to help.It will be totally unbiased as I have no connection to the brokers at all.
All the best and kind regards,David .ps my skype is davey.dave11 if you want to chat personally about anything .
__________________
happy on the sea
Kreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 23:22   #65
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What ever you do : dont buy a cat if you want to sail : It is for a very obvious reason that God gave 2 engines to monohulls ! They mostly struggle going upwind...
Whatever you do - don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about. I know many many cats that would get upwind better than Mr Ethereal's Ketch
__________________
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 23:43   #66
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
What ever you do : dont buy a cat if you want to sail : It is for a very obvious reason that God gave 2 engines to monohulls ! They mostly struggle going upwind...
Weird post. You say God supposedly gave monohulls 2 engines because they struggle going upwind. (From what I've seen they struggle to go anywhere but straight to the bottom...)

So why would that be a reason not to buy a cat?
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 23:51   #67
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

If I had to buy a boat and had $350k to spend, I'd buy this:

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...m-44c-Maia.pdf


Plenty of space, extreme shoal draught, excellent sailing performance, and easy to handle.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 00:09   #68
Registered User
 
Kreef's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 83
Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Weird post. You say God supposedly gave monohulls 2 engines because they struggle going upwind. (From what I've seen they struggle to go anywhere but straight to the bottom...)

So why would that be a reason not to buy a cat?
Which mono hulls commonly have two engines or am I missing something?
__________________
happy on the sea
Kreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 00:15   #69
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Pacific; Fiji, Vanuatu
Boat: Herreschoff 52'
Posts: 13
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

God gave 2 engines to cats because they mostly dont go upwind very well.
That doesnt mean all catamarans...
Still my personal opinion after skippering a 65 ft cat for some time and sailing a few others: I would never buy a catamaran . More so because of the motion at sea , and the fact that most of 'm dont have a classic "boat" feel. Interiours are mostly clinical and plastic.
They are good living platforms though! Spacious.
Cheers !
__________________
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 00:22   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Pacific; Fiji, Vanuatu
Boat: Herreschoff 52'
Posts: 13
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Typo or predictive spelling ! Sorry...
God gave two engines to most Catamarans so they can go better upwind ! Dont deny it , its a fact !
__________________
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:55   #71
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Typo or predictive spelling ! Sorry...
God gave two engines to most Catamarans so they can go better upwind ! Dont deny it , its a fact !
Rubbish, just absolute mind numbingly stupid rubbish
__________________
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:13   #72
Registered User
 
Sandibar's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Finland
Boat: Sandibar 35
Posts: 283
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Typo or predictive spelling ! Sorry...
God gave two engines to most Catamarans so they can go better upwind ! Dont deny it , its a fact !
I love facts on internet! Pretty sure the intelligent designer of cats was not god... I would have thought the number of engines reflect the number of hulls, no?

If I had a budget of 350k$ I would also be looking at buying and updating a Nauticat 42, like Juho.

If I were the OP however, I would heed the advice, read a lot and go see different boats and visit boat shows to get a feel for what is available.
__________________
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:23   #73
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 256
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShackAttack View Post
We want a 42 - 48 ft sturdy, well built cruiser that we can outfit to be sailed by a couple in their fifties, but with enough room for occasional family, friends and crew. We want to start along the Eastern Seaboard then Bahamas and into Caribbean. Eventually joining ARC events in the Panama Canal and South Pacific.
Here is your boat:

http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/Brokerage/boat_detail.php?id=454863

Forget about a catamaran.

Paul
__________________
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:34   #74
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Typo or predictive spelling ! Sorry...
Monohull > catamaran = predictive spelling?!
And since when do all cats have 2 engines?

I'm a monuhull kinda gal. I've been on only a few cats, and I didn't like them much to be honest.
When it comes to the sailing, they have their pros and cons, just like monohulls. As liveaboards, I think the modern cats (Lagoons etc.) look way too "Ikea" and plastic inside - nothing that makes me feel at home, so to speak.
But -- that is just my personal (lack of) taste. And: the same is true for a lot of modern monohulls as well. You just notice it way more (or, I do anyway) when on a cat, due to the size of the salon.

In my personal opinion, there are some beautiful monohulls out there. I've never, ever seen a beautiful cat. Just less ugly ones

But .. as much as I prefer monohulls, I am currently looking at some older, small Prouts. Nothing much to look at -as in, I love the lines of my current boat, and there's nothing beautiful about a Prout- but with only a few more feet in hull length I would have so much more living space ...

The Ohlson is a pretty fast & good boat to sail, and she'll definitely do better sailing upwind. But looking at comfort and living space, even a little old Prout (32' ish) beats my current boat. No doubt.
And since cruising is pretty much sailing from anchorage to anchorage, those two aspects become more important then sailing upwind. Even the real miles (like a month long ocean crossing) are downwind, so I see no reason not to compromise on upwind sailing abilities.

The different makes & models of cats all have their pros and cons, just like the different monohulls. And whatever boat you buy, it'll always be a compromise. Especially for living aboard and cruising.

ANYONE posting comments which boil down to "all cats suck" or "all monohulls suck" is pretty much saying they lack the ability to look at all the different makes & models and their pros and cons. And exactly what is a pro or con doesn't just depend on the boat, but also on how the boat will be used, and by whom.

I grew up on both sail and powered boats. I've always had sailboats - from small little racers to larger cruisers. I love my little Ohlson, much prefer monohulls, but for the cruising years I am considering a small cat. After that, back to a monohull for local sailing and when I'm too old & tired to sail, I'll buy myself a big, ugly powered boat and enjoy the space and comfort that has to offer.

My perfect boat is the one I can afford (that rules out about 99,9% of boats, haha), and offers me the best compromise on my current needs. And as my life changes, so will my needs ... and with that, the boats I'll be living on. It's that simple.
__________________
"Il faut ętre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:11   #75
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: Help me spend $350 K on a boat

Warning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
What does Zezo[?] think of using a cat to sail upon the seas?
Haha, yes, Zezo, +1 for remembering
The last couple of days, she seems to enjoy visiting a Lagoon a few slips over. Maybe she's trying to tell me something?
__________________

__________________
"Il faut ętre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To spend or not to spend(all) Blackduck Multihull Sailboats 31 06-02-2016 03:26
mercury 350 Ocean Runner 350 RIB schoonerdog Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 0 27-05-2015 04:24
$350,000 To Spend Owners Version 41'45' Rhendry Multihull Sailboats 18 23-12-2011 07:51
6ft8 30k to spend on a boat HELP!!!! gr8pilot Liveaboard's Forum 3 09-02-2009 11:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.