Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 12:29   #1

Help me please, go/no-go? + gotchas: 1978 Centaur 26 "Pyxis"

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...747302788.html

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/76798

$1800, but outboard + its WM mount is extra

Inboard Volvo unknown condition, not frozen.

Been on the hard, maybe many years, second owner has never sailed her.

PO apparently original owner since new, health issues, was an engineer, kept meticulous records over the years.

The current owner is an Army colonel, stripped out the cabin interior intending to renovate, but he has done little else, has other boat(s) and his wife is putting her foot down.

Advice please on what to look out for? Consider me a sailing virgin, have crewed a bit but mostly as rail meat, otherwise dinghies only. I will do more sailing on Other People's Boats in the meantime. No "blue water" fantasies, but I would like to eventually live aboard, half the year?

I know she will be a big project, and I plan to spend $5000+ before relaunching, maybe over a couple of years.
HansNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 14:33   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help me please, go/no-go? + gotchas: 1978 Centaur 26 "Pyxis"

Hello, Hans,

One of the moderators, <weavis>, is well versed in the small Westerlies. Maybe he'll show up and give you some input. A 26 footer is a cosy fit.

Ann
Old 15-11-2018, 21:07   #3

Re: Help me please, go/no-go? + gotchas: 1978 Centaur 26 &quot;Pyxis&quot;

So, a sturdy, if not elegant-looking "pocket cruiser". Could someone give the meaning of that phrase, other than "it's small"?

By modern standards anyway, many say "camping" style, cramped interior. But 5'10' (or is it 6'0"?) is decent standing headroom. Some say a pretty roomy interior, considering the 26' LOA.

Looks to me like pretty decent space accommodation, ability to carry reasonable "stuff" and supplies for living.

Apparently the earlier dinette layout can be converted into an additional double bunk?

version A, sleeps 6! but two aft quarter births under the cockpit, so little to no*lazarette cockpit locker space.

layout B sleeps 5, only one quarter berth, the other replaced with a lazarette

so you can store topside stuff in a locker rather than in a bunk.

layout C only sleeps 4 with the double in the saloon and a forward V-berth

Some literature talks about separate heads, as in plural?! locations?
Old 15-11-2018, 23:10   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Check the keel bolts as there is what looks like cracking along the stub in the one picture, but for 1800 bucks?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 05:08   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Check the keel bolts as there is what looks like cracking along the stub in the one picture, but for 1800 bucks?
Quite normal, its the joint between the cast iron keels and the GRP stub. Since its a 1978 boat its one of the later so should have the extra re-enforcing inside to support the keels and stop them splaying during storage ashore. Early ones needed modification.

MD2 engine now getting long in the tooth so spares may be a problem. A small second hand 20hp diesel would be a good change if the MD2 can't be easily sorted.

Head linings are vinyl backed with foam. After a couple of decades the foam breaks down and the lining peels away. Be aware its an awful job to clean and replace.

The remarks about "elegant" means that it doesn't have long bow and stern overhangs, instead you get a lot of usable space inside and with good sails can be made to move, sadly most seem to have old baggy sails which effect performance, as they do on any yacht.

They built over 3000 Centaurs and they remain very popular affordable yachts. Worth joining the Westerly Owners association who have a very active forum.

https://westerly-owners.uk/

However, for that price yes I would buy her. She will be useful moving in the ICW with that draft and for hurricane season just lift her out and tie her down. She isn't going to fall over. A great shallow water creek crawling yacht which can access many places the deep fin keels can't go which is why we bought our bilge keeler.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 05:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help me please, go/no-go? + gotchas: 1978 Centaur 26 "Pyxis"

The Centaurs are a good little boat.. I know couples who have happily cruised from the UK down to and around the Med as live aboards.. good storage and reasonable performance.
They have done transats and survived.
The only real downsides are the linings as mentioned.. a dirty job to sort.. I had a Longbow so speak from experience.. the other thing to check is the mast boot/seat on deck and support beneath which can be affected by overtensioning the rig.
The Volvo engine is an easy engine to work on and many parts can be got from truck engine suppliers.
At that price go for it

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:07   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
At that price go for it
Sounds like a road trip is in order. Hans, take a camera and post the pictures of the inside.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:12   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Quite normal, its the joint between the cast iron keels and the GRP stub. Since its a 1978 boat its one of the later so should have the extra re-enforcing inside to support the keels and stop them splaying during storage ashore.
Yes but when water enters between the stub and keel it can corrode the bolts out and/or rot the backing. Could just be cosmetic as it’s sitting on both and they’re still attached.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 12:49   #9

Boat: Westsail 28

A friend of mine has a Westerly 28 , I forget the model , it's a IOR design race boat . When my friend got it , it was a mess . First problem he dealt with was the mast "shoe" that sat on top of the keel , It was a complicated thing that allowed you to rake the mast he found a new one . He put new windows in a new motor , new diesel tank , glassed in stiffeners and honeycomb to stop flexing in the cockpit . He took out the head liner and has no plans to put it back in last I talked to him . He asked me to go sailing with him awhile back , I said "thanks Gregg did you put in a ladder to get down below and did you put in a head" ? I didn't go sailing with him . There is a Westerly owners group , I think Gregg is the webmaster .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 13:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help me please, go/no-go? + gotchas: 1978 Centaur 26 "Pyxis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
A friend of mine has a Westerly 28 , I forget the model , it's a IOR design race boat . When my friend got it , it was a mess . First problem he dealt with was the mast "shoe" that sat on top of the keel , It was a complicated thing that allowed you to rake the mast he found a new one . He put new windows in a new motor , new diesel tank , glassed in stiffeners and honeycomb to stop flexing in the cockpit . He took out the head liner and has no plans to put it back in last I talked to him . He asked me to go sailing with him awhile back , I said "thanks Gregg did you put in a ladder to get down below and did you put in a head" ? I didn't go sailing with him . There is a Westerly owners group , I think Gregg is the webmaster .
That would be the GK29.. Nice boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gk_29_photo.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	180718  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 13:19   #11

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34, Sirena

I rebuilt one. Very nice boats. Buy the outboard and bracket as it will be much cheaper than fixing the diesel. I had a 10 hp on the back and the only problem was the motor being out of the water in heavy chop. The only problem with those boats is they were built for short people. The ceiling is short and so are the bunks. Stand up in it and lay down in the bunks and make sure you're comfortable. I loved our Centuar, tuff, stable and very maneuverable with an outboard. Dale
DaleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 16:44   #12

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That would be the GK29.. Nice boats.
That is the one boatman , thanks .

https://westerly-owners.uk/
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 18:19   #13

Re: Help me please, go/no-go? + gotchas: 1978 Centaur 26 &amp;quot;Pyxis&amp;quot;

Damn, we did a private eBay "auction" so I could use credit, but it fell through. The seller really needs cash in hand now, PayPal would apparently not release funds until 12/6 ?

So it's sitting there if anyone else wants it,

$2,100 including the extra-long Johnson outboard (20 or 30 HP?) and HD West Marine motor mount.

But you'd need to go down to Lutherville / Timonium, MD waving the cash in hand, or buy sight unseen like I tried, maybe wire transfer

But says he's got "lots of interest", so not saying he'll stick to the price we'd agreed to.

His phone #s are in the CL listing.

Obviously not vouching, taking no responsibility, caveat emptor,

but pretty sure not a scammer, he did refund my $500 deposit right away.

Silver lining, my kids can get better prezzies this Xmas

Tags
lease