Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 05:26   #1

Help Me Pick the Right Boat

Been power boating for a very long time and recently decided to try sailing for a while. Always loved it but never had an opportunity to try until now. I hope to learn to sail on one of these boats I am looking at but would like the boat I end up in to be a keeper too so I don't have to go out and buy another one once I find out I really do love it.

The three boats on my short list are:

1988 26D Macgregor
1994 22' catalina capri
1986 23' Hunter

I have a slip and will not be trailering the boat but I do want the boat to be trailerable so I can bring it home myself. These boats all have trailers and they are all in the same price range.

Looking for advice - pros/cons for each, things I should look for when checking them out....performance I should expect compared to each other - any other recommendations for boats likes these that I should consider?

really lost on this and don't know what way to go, some advice would go a long way.

Thank you -

captneeen
captneeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:09   #2

ps

Intended use would be day sailing in and around boston
harbor and islands. no kids, no overnights.

should clarify, the macgregor is not the motor sailer, it is
a swing keel with sail only.

CaptNeeen
Old 03-06-2010, 06:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I like the Capri and have sailed rentals. Easy to handle and a bit newer than the Macgregor. No experience with the Hunter but newer (capri) would intuitively seem better.

If you aren't ready to completely cut the powerboat tie, the Macgregor is a nice cross over boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I like the Catalina as well, best boat and best sailor on your list. The MacGregor does have a bit more room.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
What about a J 24? Loads of them about, can be as cheap as chips and racing when your ready. As you're daysailing the lack of "amenities" no problemo.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07   #6

Boat: Bristol 38.8
None of the three boats on your list will be your final boat if it turns out you like sailing.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:54   #7

LOL ...

I know I know -
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Sailed the capri and the hunter, both are great boats, never sailed a macgregor. I think the catalina will be the best all around boat and may be easier to sell when it is time to get a bigger boat . Had a friend who lived on a capri (!), after a year he moved up to a Hans Christen 38.
Have fun,
Erika
Old 03-06-2010, 10:04   #9

The Catalina 22 in its various iterations is perhaps the most popular sailboat ever made. The only ones I've ever been on were the old swing keel models. They are reasonably fast and generally good performers. The swing keel was clunky and instrusive in the up position. However, I think the Capri versions are all fixed keel - either short wing or deep fin models. Reportedly their performance is superior to the older versions - especially with the deep fin.

The Hunter 23 is a fixed wing keel boat. They like to heel and are remarkably fast for a boat of that length. They also are roomier below decks than the Cat 22s - at least the older ones. For owner reviews go here:

HunterOwners.com

The Macgregor is a water ballast boat. You either like them or you don't.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 13:27   #10

Where would a 23/24 foot O'day fit into the list - what I think I am hearing is the catalina, hunter then Mac - The O'days keep popping up - same type, trailer sailers, seem abundant around these parts. How would they fair against these boats listed?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:41   #11

Boat: SJ23 1988
I've sailed a capri 22, lovely boat! Not much room for anything other than minimal overnight or day sailing. But Great for learning to sail! Fixed Long keel recomended.

I'm no fan of swing keels, unless you are hauling out and don't have a slip as it makes loading to the trailer easy and you don't need "DEEP" water.

My SJ23 has a fixed winged keel, and only draws 3'... you realy have to be in deep water to get it on or off the trailer... I tried this only ONCE. Got Soaked and the truck was WAY deep in the water. I launch/retrieve via crane now and it's much better, granted then I do have to keep a slip when it's sailing season.

I've known McGreggor owners. I can't say it's a "Great" boat. Too much compromise between sail and motor boat. Most of the ones out there motor arround more than sail. Most of the people I know keep it for a couple years then decide which way to go and get either a motor boat or a sail boat.
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:24   #12

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
I've done quite a bit of research on trailerable sailboats, and by the boats you've narrowed it down to, it looks like you have, too. I think any of them would work for your purpose, so it may simply come down to which one is in better condition, has the extras you're looking for, etc. If you do decide that you'd like to explore some other areas, the Macgregor will be easier to tow given that it's a water ballast. There may also some be some "S" model Macgregors in your price range, which are newer than the "D" models (neither of which are like the newer hybrid "X" and "M" motorsailers that people often confuse them with). From everything I've read, though, if you are just staying in one spot, and not wanting to do overnighting, etc., the Catalina being newer may be best option. Good luck in your search.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58   #13

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
I sailed on a Macgregor 26 once and it was the worst boat I've ever sailed on.
My first boat was a Catalina 22 and was a great first boat even though it was a swing keel and not the best performing boat.
How about a San Juan 24? I've had one for about 10 years and I can't say enough good things about it. About 1500 of them built, always available for sale and affordable.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16   #14

Boat: PSC 31
Go with the Capri. My first boat was a 1986 Hunter 23 - I upgraded in less than two years to a Beneteau First series so I could sail.
stevemac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 19:21   #15

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I would check out a Catalina 27. I don't know how trailerable they are, but there are a million of them around and the extra 5 feet makes a boat easier to sail, not harder. Things happen a bit more slowly.

If you insist on 22 ft I would also look at the Rhodes 22 with the "pop top."
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote