Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 15:42   #1

Help Me Find the Right Boat

-40-45 feet and be able to make single handed long distance passages (eventually a circumnavigation)
-I'm looking to live out of it for a few years with the occasional guest or two
-Budget $100-$150k
Delecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 16:07   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
There are a hundred or so boat designs that meet your criteria. Here is a Tartan 40 that is darn pretty. Tartan For sale
Yachtworld is a great place to look at different sailboat designs and see what they are priced at.
Good luck on your boat search,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 16:36   #3

Boat: Island Packet 370
Hi Delecto:
In that your plans include "living out of it" for a extended period of time consider a center cockpit design. Below deck the CC design offers a huge amount
of space. So maybe look at a Morgan 44 CC @ $125,000 ?

Respectfully,
Paul
BeenThereAteIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 17:29   #4

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Center cockpit, full keeled or with a brewers bite. Definitely have your rudder hung off the back of something for support.
Stay away from fin keeled flat bottomed boats with "unsupported" rudders.
You are planning on doing a lot of single handling. You want something that can take care of itself at sea. When you are tired and going into an anchorage you might bump something.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 17:44   #5

Found a 43' 1985 Slocum Cutter in the SF area (preferably where I want to buy it). Unfortuantely it has few pictures and little information. Anyone know much about these?
Old 06-07-2009, 17:49   #6

BTW Pros & Cons for center cockpit?
Old 06-07-2009, 18:20   #7

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
I'm currently reading Handbook of Offshore Cruising by Jim Howard and it's first section is dedicated to the ins and outs of various aspects of boat design with particular attention given to those choosing a vessel for cruising and long distance travel. It might be a good read rather than seeking advice blindly. Not that the advice on here is not top notch, but I've learned quite a bit in just a short while of reading including many points that I don't believe I would have ever thought to consider.

Also, keep in mind the rule that the right boat is probably the one that meets your demands and gets you out cruising with the most money left in your pocket after purchase, refit, and outfit of your new baby.

Howard points out that its also important to consider not only what a yacht costs you to buy but also what it's going to cost you to run. For instance efficiency of the engines and gadgets that cause a reliance on the engines or genset for power (fuel costs), and how many and what accessories or gear are on board that will need to be maintained every year. Even your range listed -- 40-45'. If you're out cruising a lot of marinas charge $10 per foot per day for a slip. So a 45' boat is actually going to cost you $50 more than a 40' every time you stay the night in a marina. That doesn't seem like much but if you stayed 30 nights over the course of a cruise, that's $1500 you don't have for fun money.

Just saying, lots of math involved in the decision making process.

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 18:32   #8

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delecto View Post
-40-45 feet and be able to make single handed long distance passages (eventually a circumnavigation)
-I'm looking to live out of it for a few years with the occasional guest or two
-Budget $100-$150k
With all due respect, your query equates to "how long is a piece of string".

I am currently assisting a CF poster down here find a yacht. As per earlier posts on this thread, I candidly believe you need to have a much clearer picture of what meets your personal needs (as they now have) beyond the broad based criteria you've stated above.

However, I do note that your price range equates to ~ $NZ 240K, which IMHO does not buy very much, even down here. Plan on investing a substantial sum in upgrades and maintenance.....
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 18:43   #9

I dunno, from the little research that I've done this budget buys plenty enough (edit: from what I've read boats prices are substantially higher in Aus.). As for maintenance, insurance, etc. i'ts been accounted for and I should be fine for the next few years.

Anyways the idea here is for more experienced boat buyers/owners to help me figure out what exactly it is that I need. I'm starting my courses next week at Offshore and I guess from then on I'll have a better idea what it is I need to look for.
Old 06-07-2009, 19:13   #10

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delecto View Post
I dunno, from the little research that I've done this budget buys plenty enough (edit: from what I've read boats prices are substantially higher in Aus.). As for maintenance, insurance, etc. i'ts been accounted for and I should be fine for the next few years.

Anyways the idea here is for more experienced boat buyers/owners to help me figure out what exactly it is that I need. I'm starting my courses next week at Offshore and I guess from then on I'll have a better idea what it is I need to look for.
Then perhaps after your courses would be the best time to post your query .... and also after you've read a few books, such as Beth Leonard's " The Voyager's Handbook" ..... rather than have posters "stab in the dark" to meet your undefined needs ......

Reality is, for every 10 CF posters who could respond to your query, there are probably 15 different opinions .... and that is at best what they are "opinions".

You really need to "do the work" yourself, rather than expect others to do the work for you. Not said to insult or hurt, as if there was only a handful of possibilities, there wouldn't be 100s or 1000s of yachts to choose from!
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 19:49   #11

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Lifestyle and expectations play a huge role in what is right for you.
Do you want to do the laundry on the rocks up a stream or do you want to do it in a washing machine onboard?
Do you like eating canned food, rice and beans? Or do you want a steak and potatoes every night?
Sort all that out and the rest is easy.

There is no right answer.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 20:32   #12

I'll guess that I will ad my $.25 opinion which is why I assumed that you posted in the first place. Within your stated budget I would focus on a boat in the 35 to 40 foot range that represents a reasonable level of quality. Much above that length and it becomes more difficult to manage by one person and costly to maintain and operate. I have also done a fair amount of research, unfortunately I can only be content to dream at this point as I am lacking the financial resources to make my dream a reality. You might want to look at boats with more modern under bodies and fin keels. Yes, heavy full keeled boats are stable and track well but are miserable to maneuver in a crowded anchorage or dock in cross currents. Besides as Robert Perry has been oft quoted as saying "There is nothing wrong with being able to go fast". A few older fin keel boats that I would suggest that you look at and that will allow you to stay within budget even after outfitting properly are a Wauqueiz 38 also known as a Hood 38, a Wauquiez 35 (mid eighties version), CS (Canadian Sailcraft) 36 to 40, Sweden 36, Valiant 37 and 40, Cooper 416 and the Kelly Petterson 44. None of them are perfect but they are all of reasonably good quality and have been out in the big blue. Full keel boats that fit the bill are the venerable Tayana 37 and Baba 36 but they have too much teak to maintain for my taste and look for those that have had their teak decks removed and or have been repowered with adequate sized engines as many have been repowered with under sized plants.

But has been pointed out by others you need to focus on your priorities and spend a lot of time on Yachtworld, Latitude 38, reading reviews, posting on sailing forums and consulting the numerous books written on the subject. Speak to boat owners at your local marinas in SF. Most are happy to talk your ears off about their boat. I found most boat brokers with the exception of a few were not helpful as they were more interested in selling you a boat, any boat, than in finding you a good fit. Good luck. It sounds as if you are headed for a real adventure.
SteveMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:58   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
> 40-45 feet is the optimum size for two people living on board. For a single-hander it more about how you rig and outfit the boat than its size. I have single-handed a 60 footer for 9 years without many problems - except - it is damn expensive on slips, fuel and servicing. And without a bow thruster I have to use "Capt Ron's" techniques for docking.
> An optimum size for singlehanding is - as mentioned - 36 to 42 feet. For single handing in the ocean you would be well advised to look at "double-enders" with full keels and "barn-door" rudders. They are extremely stable in big seas with minimal work necessary to steer a straight course. However good they are at going straight ahead and they are equally horrible about going in any other direction. It is trade-off between ocean stability and maneuver-ability.
> This can be compensated by a robust autopilot and windvane so you can move up to a faster and more nimble boat.
> But in your price range your options are limited - and - remember, you will most likely have to invest a sum of money equal to your purchase price to get the used boat in seaworthy condition again. It is very rare to find a boat "ready to go" unless the owner was an avid sailor and just died.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:24   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
As you are looking for opinions I will humbly give mine. I think your budget allows for a lot of choices. I would look for something in decent shape in the 36 to 40 foot range. And as you are going to live on it for a couple of years before you head off, it does not have to be currently fully outfitted. If you purchase something that may need a litt le work and some systems upgrading you will ahve the advantage that by the time you leave you should truly know your boat. Currently in Annapolis for around 60K there are a lot of vessels in that size range. I know of a Morgan 38, a Tayana 37, a valiant Esprit 37 and a Corbin 39 that fall well within your budget, and still give you 40-50K for upgrades.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 19:12   #15

I'm really liking the Beneteau's....especially this one. What are your guys thoughts?