Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 12:07   #1

Help me evaluate these boats please

What do you guys think of these boats for cruising around the pacific NW and perhaps to AK?

1973 Ontario Yachts Viking 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1976 C&C Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks!
scm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 12:40   #2

The CC's generally have a good reputation and are fast boats ( a loaded 36 or 38 (?) Beat the pants off my Passport 47 going around Tobago!) Unfortunately that one has a gas engine which is not very desireable.
I've not heard of the Viking but like the look of it and it has a Yanmar Diesel. You'll need to research how it sails and try to figure out how well it's really built....
The C and C will probably have better resale value becuase it is a known boat. On the other hand, if the Viking suits your needs you might be able to negotiate hard....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 13:00   #3

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Personally don't like Almaz except it has diesel. How many crew onbaord? the 1976 looks like it will sleep more , and that translates into more storage space(quarter birth). Like the gally better. The condition of onboard systems is more important than how nice the interior looks. All things close to equal--------I like the 76. Opinion based on what can be seen in pics and they don't tell the whole story. Find a GOOD Surveyor from one recomended by several people in the area.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 13:50   #4

They are essentially the same boat, C&C designed both. Everything being equal I would buy the diesel version.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 14:18   #5

What about value?? Are these prices representative of the boats being in perfect condition, and as such if there are defects that should bite into the sale price??
Old 20-02-2009, 14:46   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
The atomic 4 doesn't scare me, I owned a boat powered by one and it served me well. I see the merits of diesel for safety, longevity and reliability. They appear to be very similar vessels designed by C&C. I would be looking very closely at structure, taking a plastic hammer and tapping the deck around the chainplates, the hulls, checking the rigging, Checking the rudder, etc. Check for leaks, look at the engines, thru hulls etc etc. You can't tell from photos what condition these vessels are really in from a structural point of view. If they are both sound after that, I might lean toward the diesel, but then I also like the galley on the 76 too. I think the story will be told in closer inspection.
Old 20-02-2009, 14:47   #7

And the price point is fair?

Additionally, how well would either boat handle bluewater sailing?
Old 20-02-2009, 14:51   #8

Also thank you guys for the responses!!!
Old 20-02-2009, 15:04   #9

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
You may find the Ontario Yachts just a bit better.

I have known Ontario Yachts for over 35 years, and they have always built just a touch better boat than C&C. Don't get me wrong - C&C built excellent boats back in those days, but not quite the overall quality of Ontario Yachts.
Quite the decision eh?
By the way, the Viking is faster. C&C 33 - PHRF - 150 and the Viking 33 - PHRF - 144.(subject to local PHRF district of course).
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 15:11   #10

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I think you have room to negotiate. Maybe more so on the gas model??
You really have to look closely at a vessel this age. Structural repairs can add up quickly. Also. what condition are the sails in.

Bluewater sailing? I'm not familiar with these vessels....This is probably a good coastal cruising vessel that, if sound, could make some limited offshore passages.
I'm guessing that the tankage is limited. Fuel and water storage might be a limiting factor for long distances. ( over 600 miles ) I think others more familiar with these vessels will have more to say.
Old 20-02-2009, 16:39   #11

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
Go to "C&C Designs" on this link

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 16:48   #12

Hmm the more I'm hearing the more I'm liking that Viking... Maybe I will call and see it in person.
Old 20-02-2009, 20:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What about value?? Are these prices representative of the boats being in perfect condition, and as such if there are defects that should bite into the sale price??
At this age it's not the vintage but the mileage. Neither can be what they once were and how they age is like all the rest of us. Some folks just can't stomach a gasoline engine on a boat. It is as much a psychological barrier as anything else. At this age neither could be considered trustworthy just because you bought one. They both would need a serious going over by someone that was skilled at doing so. It means actually looking the boat over.

At under 10,000 lbs of displacement they both have limited carrying capacity. Cruising boats are pickup trucks not sports cars. You can't single hand a boat with less than 2000 lbs of crap aboard. Fuel and water go into the numbers too. You could easily be into a lot more money with either of these boats assuming they passed a surveyors eye.

Never pick one boat over the other on reputation alone.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote