Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 15:31   #1

Boat: Sabre 28
Help me decide on my 3rd cruising live aboard boat

I am already a live aboard and want to become a mostly financially independent snowbird. I would like a boat that is capable and be ready to be taken offshore with a wind vane and basic systems. I have over 1700 miles offshore experience; have been through two gales and a tropical depression, did the DEL-MAR-VA, BVI, also some minor day sailing on Puget Sound and the Florida keys. So I reasonably know what I need and know what I am comfortable with.

I am a mostly a single hander that might have occasional crew. I also need the larger size for comfort living at anchor almost year round and also have room for SCUBA tanks/ gear, Sewing machine, Tools and other odds and ends. Cruising grounds will be Caribbean/ Florida Keys/ Chesapeake and I’ll be as bold to say in the distant future the Panama Canal, West Coast US and then Puget Sound.

Here’s what I would do to a boat, Glass over all unnecessary Thru-hulls including switching over to composting head, eliminating the in hull speed sensor. Also inspect and repair thru-hulls and sea cocks adding extra glass and ball valves. Fit a monitor wind vane to the transom. Add a Max Prop folding propeller (3 blade or 2 blade?). Simplifying the electrics and not needing anything unnecessary like chart plotter /AIS transmitter/ battery monitors/ wind speed etc. Also will be adding solar panels that produce surplus power combined with low draw equipment and LED lighting throughout. I am fond of the VHF that receives AIS information and shows speed/heading and GPS coordinates, I have one on my list.

I also have aboard several hand held GPS and a meticulous ships log and plenty of medium range charts, also Navionics for the waterproof Ipad. I also have complete and separate maintenance logs like, general maintenance and engine logs. In the future I would like to add a cruiser RO water maker (20 GPH) run by the Honda eu2000.

Also will be adding multiple redundant safety features, like several over sized manual and electric bilge pumps (one operated from the cockpit), sliding barrel lock the hatch boards when under way, jack lines and 24/7 on deck tether. A several hundred foot long floating trip line to deactivate the self steering. Many oversized anchors: New generation plow/ Genuine Bruce/ Fortress/Fisherman. The boat will also have multiple rodes and various length of chain ready to deploy. I may go to all chain for the primary however I really like the current 9/16” 3 strand with 35’ of 5/16” chain attached. I’m thinking about just having a few multiple rodes set up this way. I like the ease of handling less chain without a windless. I also have a concern about being overloaded and having lots of weight in the bow.

What I want in a boat:
$15,000-$20,000 to spend
32’-35’ Feet Maximum length
Heavy displacement
Protected rudder or skeg hung. (Or not?)
Roller Furling head sail
Keel stepped mast preferred
Tiller steering (simplification/ tiller pilot for motoring)
Shoal or shallow draft 4-5 Feet or 4-8 Feet with a centerboard
Functional galley with Propane (I like to cook) or ability to install propane with oven
A suitable small shower that’s functional
Diesel or gasoline engine

Bonus for: lines run to the cockpit, cruising gear, anchors, and bow rollers, manual anchor windlass and additional upgrades that make the boat safer and more seaworthy. (Or point me towards boats that usually come with these upgrades and gear).

I’m also very handy with a myriad of tools and systems ;( I could swap a rebuilt atomic 4 over the weekend). I also have experience with marine diesel engines/systems and the commercial /industrial painting industry. However I don’t want or need a “project boat”. It seems like there are many great boats in my price range that are complete and functional. However I’m not afraid to do a little work.

I live on the Chesapeake so I have a lot of boats to choose from. I have been focusing on makes and builders that made hundreds and hundreds of the same boats as it seems there are many available and competitively priced successful designs most notably the Tartan 34C and Bristol 35.5. I have been focusing less on “one off” designed boats as the value is subjective and they can be hard to find. However if it was in my price range I would add dozens of heavy displacement world cruising boats to my list, but were working on a budget here, so none of these: (BABA 30, Hans Christian 33, West Sail 32, Sabre 34, CSY 33, Cape Dory 33) But also NOT interested in (Catalina 30, Hunters, something made of wood or anything similar)

I like the simplicity of the Alberg 35 however it is such a long boat for such a narrow beam and short waterline it really doesn’t make sense from a cost stand point. I have realized that other boats compared specifically to the Alberg 35 and similar Alberg designed boats is that I can get almost twice the boat and living space for less yard and marina fees. The idea here is to be independent from a dock but also have plenty of comfort and storage while living on anchor, a longer water line gives you that, not necessarily beam in my opinion.

Here is my current List of boats more or less in order but subject to change:
1. Tartan 34C
2. Tartan 30
3. Bristol 35.5 not (C)
4. Bayfield 32
5. Morgan OI 33
6. Morgan 32
7. Bristol 32
8. S&S 34
9. Pearson 35
10. Alberg 35

While I am not overly fond of a centerboard with its pennant and maintenance issues, under the right circumstances and deal I am sure I would be happy with one. However I really like an encapsulated lead modified full keel. I currently have a Sabre 28’ and my former boat was a 26’ Alberg designed Ariel. I also have a love hate relationship with wheel steering and full keel boats don’t back up worth a damn. However I like my current keel/rudder combination, great tracking, and turns immediately in forward or reverse, it’s very responsive.

So looking at the list I have, what boats would you add or rank at the top of the list? I have been seeing some very nice well maintained, well equipped boats (mostly with gas engines) with asking prices of $16,000. I have some time to keep planning and looking at boats but eventually within the next 2 years I want to just be on a beach somewhere studying things that wash up on the shore, doing some wreck diving, photographing marine life, eating the marine life, and drinking the cold Caribe beer. Critiques and suggestions of my idea/plans are welcome.

Thank you.
icy decks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 23:42   #2

Boat: Sabre 28
looking for a boat suggestions, 32-35 feet, $15,000-$20,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy decks View Post
I am already a live aboard and want to become a mostly financially independent snowbird. I would like a boat that is capable and be ready to be taken offshore with a wind vane and basic systems. I have over 1700 miles offshore experience; have been through two gales and a tropical depression, did the DEL-MAR-VA, BVI, also some minor day sailing on Puget Sound and the Florida keys. So I reasonably know what I need and know what I am comfortable with.

I am a mostly a single hander that might have occasional crew. I also need the larger size for comfort living at anchor almost year round and also have room for SCUBA tanks/ gear, Sewing machine, Tools and other odds and ends. Cruising grounds will be Caribbean/ Florida Keys/ Chesapeake and I’ll be as bold to say in the distant future the Panama Canal, West Coast US and then Puget Sound.

Here’s what I would do to a boat, Glass over all unnecessary Thru-hulls including switching over to composting head, eliminating the in hull speed sensor. Also inspect and repair thru-hulls and sea cocks adding extra glass and ball valves. Fit a monitor wind vane to the transom. Add a Max Prop folding propeller (3 blade or 2 blade?). Simplifying the electrics and not needing anything unnecessary like chart plotter /AIS transmitter/ battery monitors/ wind speed etc. Also will be adding solar panels that produce surplus power combined with low draw equipment and LED lighting throughout. I am fond of the VHF that receives AIS information and shows speed/heading and GPS coordinates, I have one on my list.

I also have aboard several hand held GPS and a meticulous ships log and plenty of medium range charts, also Navionics for the waterproof Ipad. I also have complete and separate maintenance logs like, general maintenance and engine logs. In the future I would like to add a cruiser RO water maker (20 GPH) run by the Honda eu2000.

Also will be adding multiple redundant safety features, like several over sized manual and electric bilge pumps (one operated from the cockpit), sliding barrel lock the hatch boards when under way, jack lines and 24/7 on deck tether. A several hundred foot long floating trip line to deactivate the self steering. Many oversized anchors: New generation plow/ Genuine Bruce/ Fortress/Fisherman. The boat will also have multiple rodes and various length of chain ready to deploy. I may go to all chain for the primary however I really like the current 9/16” 3 strand with 35’ of 5/16” chain attached. I’m thinking about just having a few multiple rodes set up this way. I like the ease of handling less chain without a windless. I also have a concern about being overloaded and having lots of weight in the bow.

What I want in a boat:
$15,000-$20,000 to spend
32’-35’ Feet Maximum length
Heavy displacement
Protected rudder or skeg hung. (Or not?)
Roller Furling head sail
Keel stepped mast preferred
Tiller steering (simplification/ tiller pilot for motoring)
Shoal or shallow draft 4-5 Feet or 4-8 Feet with a centerboard
Functional galley with Propane (I like to cook) or ability to install propane with oven
A suitable small shower that’s functional
Diesel or gasoline engine

Bonus for: lines run to the cockpit, cruising gear, anchors, and bow rollers, manual anchor windlass and additional upgrades that make the boat safer and more seaworthy. (Or point me towards boats that usually come with these upgrades and gear).

I’m also very handy with a myriad of tools and systems ;( I could swap a rebuilt atomic 4 over the weekend). I also have experience with marine diesel engines/systems and the commercial /industrial painting industry. However I don’t want or need a “project boat”. It seems like there are many great boats in my price range that are complete and functional. However I’m not afraid to do a little work.

I live on the Chesapeake so I have a lot of boats to choose from. I have been focusing on makes and builders that made hundreds and hundreds of the same boats as it seems there are many available and competitively priced successful designs most notably the Tartan 34C and Bristol 35.5. I have been focusing less on “one off” designed boats as the value is subjective and they can be hard to find. However if it was in my price range I would add dozens of heavy displacement world cruising boats to my list, but were working on a budget here, so none of these: (BABA 30, Hans Christian 33, West Sail 32, Sabre 34, CSY 33, Cape Dory 33) But also NOT interested in (Catalina 30, Hunters, something made of wood or anything similar)

I like the simplicity of the Alberg 35 however it is such a long boat for such a narrow beam and short waterline it really doesn’t make sense from a cost stand point. I have realized that other boats compared specifically to the Alberg 35 and similar Alberg designed boats is that I can get almost twice the boat and living space for less yard and marina fees. The idea here is to be independent from a dock but also have plenty of comfort and storage while living on anchor, a longer water line gives you that, not necessarily beam in my opinion.

Here is my current List of boats more or less in order but subject to change:
1. Tartan 34C
2. Tartan 30
3. Bristol 35.5 not (C)
4. Bayfield 32
5. Morgan OI 33
6. Morgan 32
7. Bristol 32
8. S&S 34
9. Pearson 35
10. Alberg 35

While I am not overly fond of a centerboard with its pennant and maintenance issues, under the right circumstances and deal I am sure I would be happy with one. However I really like an encapsulated lead modified full keel. I currently have a Sabre 28’ and my former boat was a 26’ Alberg designed Ariel. I also have a love hate relationship with wheel steering and full keel boats don’t back up worth a damn. However I like my current keel/rudder combination, great tracking, and turns immediately in forward or reverse, it’s very responsive.

So looking at the list I have, what boats would you add or rank at the top of the list? I have been seeing some very nice well maintained, well equipped boats (mostly with gas engines) with asking prices of $16,000. I have some time to keep planning and looking at boats but eventually within the next 2 years I want to just be on a beach somewhere studying things that wash up on the shore, doing some wreck diving, photographing marine life, eating the marine life, and drinking the cold Caribe beer. Critiques and suggestions of my idea/plans are welcome.

Thank you.
Edit: new relevant title.
icy decks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising