Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 20:15   #16

Boat: Newport 41
Re: Help me choose my first boat

S2 7.9, 26' trailerable, cruiseable, Sails well, stable, big enough cockpit, and is a good PHRF racer, and a one design too, better for resale value
Rumlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:58   #17

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Precision 18, sails like a dinghy,fractional rig,trailerable,light, cuddy cabin
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'd concentrate on the trailering aspect first. What are you towing with & what's your max tow weight? Are you going to trailer it every time you use it or are you keeping it in the water most of the time? Something the size of a Cataline 22 is pretty easy to trailer & rig. A Catalina 25 is getting kind of big & will take much more time to rig. It's not really realistic to trailer something that big for a day sail. On the other hand, if you plan on keeping it in the water & just bringing it home at the end of the season the Catalina 25 is a better choice than the 22. Not the fastest, prettiest or most unique boat around but a good, safe & cost effective way to get on the water.
Geezo!!!

17 posts and not a one of y'all can say welcome to the forum???

Well ... Belated welcome anyway antiduke!

You need to answer Scout's question first... If you are trailering every time, then you need an easy rigger... There's nothing more of a pain in the butt than it taking an hour to rig a boat every time you want to sail... It shortens the day considerably coming and going... I've had both easy and hard riggers...

Catalina 22/25 superperb first boat... Highly recommended dependent on desired use posed...

This might be a bit tight for ya at 19', but something like this Potter might strike your fancy too... Do a little googlin'... I'm putting it on the market very soon... I only say this cause your close...

And I have another 22'er less than 1/3rd your budget... PM if you're curious...

I hope you're getting all the info you're lookin' for here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Geezo!!!

17 posts and not a one of y'all can say welcome to the forum???

Well ... Belated welcome anyway antiduke!

You need to answer Scout's question first... If you are trailering every time, then you need an easy rigger... There's nothing more of a pain in the butt than it taking an hour to rig a boat every time you want to sail... It shortens the day considerably coming and going... I've had both easy and hard riggers...

Catalina 22/25 superperb first boat... Highly recommended dependent on desired use posed...

This might be a bit tight for ya at 19', but something like this Potter might strike your fancy too... Do a little googlin'... I'm putting it on the market very soon... I only say this cause your close...

And I have another 22'er less than 1/3rd your budget... PM if you're curious...

I hope you're getting all the info you're lookin' for here...
Yes, I'm getting some great info here Happy. Thank you all. The question about the trailer is a good one that I had been thinking about but not actually looked into. The only boats I have ever pulled was a trailer with 3 sunfish - not exactly apples to apples comparison with what I'm looking for now. It looks like I will need to upgrade a vehicle to be able to pull something that could be used as an overnight "cruiser". I currently have a Mazda CX-7, which has a max towing capacity of ~2000 pounds.

I'm not opposed to upgrading a vehicle, but it has got me thinking about other options. The wife has since told me she isn't really interested in overnight trips, so I've been considering some daysailers - I think I'd be more inclined to go sailing if the rigging and launching was easy.

All that being said, boats I've been looking at are the Flying Scot, Lightning, and O'Day daysailers. My only concern is that these might be too "tippy" for the wife and small child. And I would really like there to at least be a small berth that could be used to get out of the sun. Any suggestions for me?
antiduke_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Precision 18, sails like a dinghy,fractional rig,trailerable,light, cuddy cabin
This looks like it could be a good fit!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:55   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiduke_99 View Post
Yes, I'm getting some great info here Happy. Thank you all. The question about the trailer is a good one that I had been thinking about but not actually looked into. The only boats I have ever pulled was a trailer with 3 sunfish - not exactly apples to apples comparison with what I'm looking for now. It looks like I will need to upgrade a vehicle to be able to pull something that could be used as an overnight "cruiser". I currently have a Mazda CX-7, which has a max towing capacity of ~2000 pounds.

I'm not opposed to upgrading a vehicle, but it has got me thinking about other options. The wife has since told me she isn't really interested in overnight trips, so I've been considering some daysailers - I think I'd be more inclined to go sailing if the rigging and launching was easy.

All that being said, boats I've been looking at are the Flying Scot, Lightning, and O'Day daysailers. My only concern is that these might be too "tippy" for the wife and small child. And I would really like there to at least be a small berth that could be used to get out of the sun. Any suggestions for me?
I speak for all of us when I say...

"We are elated to have you here and be one of our motley crew"

Don't worry about tow vehicles... Your Mazda can pull ANYTHING you might be considering ... With ease...

The trailer aspect was more of a...

A- Easy rigger means you can decide over morning coffee if you want to sail today and grab the boat from your yard...

B- hour plus rigger means you get there before sunrise, OR... leave a boat in the water/marina storage = $$

Of course I exaggerate a tad, but you get the idea...

Yes... To be sure the boats you mention are on the tippy side of the stability index... A berth and a bimini are going to make mom and kiddo way happier on a day trip...

It's amazing what they can fit into boats... That Potter has TIGHT sleeping for 4, a sink, stove, porta-potty etc...

Old 11-09-2015, 05:23   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiduke_99 View Post

If you are interested in small boats, you may be better off joining a sailing club, yacht club, or syndicate that has a fleet of small boats ready to go. Our local yacht club has a group of (old) sharks that members can just sign out anytime. A great way to get your feet wet without a big capital outlay, and allows you to focus on the sailing, not the trailering, rigging, maintenance, etc.

Also, bigger boats are actually easier to sail and likely more appropriate to bring the wife and child. A big boat is less tippy, and has more resources...like a vee berth to have a nap, and space for all the baby gear. Although too big to trailer, I took my two young ones from an early age sailing on my C&C25. It had lots of kid friendly features, and we had many fun adventures. Although summer dockage can be expensive, so is upgrading your tow vehicle, a road trailer, etc. A boat at the dock is ready to sail when you are.

Whichever way you go, welcome to the sailing community. Its a great way to get rid of all those dollars burning a hole in your pocket.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:25   #23

Boat: Scout 30

Actually a 2,000 lb load limit will really limit your choices. Remember, you have to include gear & the trailer in that weight. The dry weight of a Catalina 22 is 2,500 lbs. With gear & a trailer you'll be over 3,000 pounds. The West Wight Potter 19 is actually a great recommendation. Well regarded popular boat that's a good weight for your car.

I'm also a fan of the Sea Pearl 21. A great boat for expedition cruising.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:29   #24

Boat: Scout 30

My favorite small cruiser is the Scamp. Really amazing boat in a small package. You can build it or buy a fiberglass version.

https://www.facebook.com/SmallCraftA...agazineProject
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:33   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My favorite small cruiser is the Scamp. Really amazing boat in a small package. You can build it or buy a fiberglass version.

https://www.facebook.com/SmallCraftA...agazineProject
Fun stuff!

Old 11-09-2015, 05:34   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Actually a 2,000 lb load limit will really limit your choices. Remember, you have to include gear & the trailer in that weight. The dry weight of a Catalina 22 is 2,500 lbs. With gear & a trailer you'll be over 3,000 pounds. The West Wight Potter 19 is actually a great recommendation. Well regarded popular boat that's a good weight for your car.
I'd like to second that motion.

A few years back, while sailing in the islands, we met up with a wonderful family with young kids like ours. We spent a couple days sharing a dock at Milton Island. The kids fished, played, and we all had fun.

In the attached pic, its the orange boat in the background. My own kids in the foreground, feeding ducks.

They had trailered their 22' boat up from Hamilton. A few days later they were on the local evening news. While trailering their boat back to Hamilton, the trailer somehow overtook the tow car, causing a horrific accident. The father was killed. Pictures of the smashed boat and car, on the front page of the local paper the next day, will haunt me forever.

To me, a big part of sailing is getting away from cars, highways, and all the noise of life ashore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3454.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	108839  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:18   #27

Boat: Seaward 25

Time for some harsh reality. Trailer sailing is hard work and requires commitment from skipper and crew. Unless your bride is already in love with sailing, expecting her to find enjoyment with an outing that involves; getting up early, waiting around watching the kid on a ramp for an hour or two while you rig the boat, going out on the boat in less than ideal conditions (always happens when you trailer sail) then waiting around for another hour or so with a now tired kid while you de-rig, etc. is not realistic.

At our last pocket cruisers convention in Lake Havasu we had over 200 boats in attendance. Of those, less than a handful had small kids. Of those, pretty much all were both into sailing before the kids arrived. You need to make this easy. Maybe a motor boat would be better to ease her into the boating life. If it has to be sailing, I like the club idea or getting a boat you can keep in a slip but beware, the marinas are filled with old salts whose wife won't come near the boat because he took her out once, the boat heeled up and scared the crap out of her.

Good luck in the search and if you figure out the perfect solution clue us all in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	108840  
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:22   #28

Quote:
Yes, the pullable weight is definitely a factor. The Catalina 22 is definitely out.

Regarding the WW Potter 19, I am a little concerned it might be too "doggish" for me, but that may be unfounded. How does it compare to a Precision 18 in terms of trailerability (weight), handling, and berth size?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:25   #29

Boat: Seaward 22

Tons of used boats out there and lots of good choices. I would advise to get the boat in the best condition possible.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
Time for some harsh reality. Trailer sailing is hard work and requires commitment from skipper and crew. Unless your bride is already in love with sailing, expecting her to find enjoyment with an outing that involves; getting up early, waiting around watching the kid on a ramp for an hour or two while you rig the boat, going out on the boat in less than ideal conditions (always happens when you trailer sail) then waiting around for another hour or so with a now tired kid while you de-rig, etc. is not realistic.

At our last pocket cruisers convention in Lake Havasu we had over 200 boats in attendance. Of those, less than a handful had small kids. Of those, pretty much all were both into sailing before the kids arrived. You need to make this easy. Maybe a motor boat would be better to ease her into the boating life. If it has to be sailing, I like the club idea or getting a boat you can keep in a slip but beware, the marinas are filled with old salts whose wife won't come near the boat because he took her out once, the boat heeled up and scared the crap out of her.

Good luck in the search and if you figure out the perfect solution clue us all in!

Heh, yes this is definitely something to consider. However, I should have mentioned that my wife has been sailing a fair amount. She has been out with me on a laser some and been on a a month long trip down the ICW and into the Keys. Granted, that was on a 42' boat with a proper head and plenty of room.. but she was also out on it in some rough weather. We even got engaged on one of our sailing trips so that may (hopefully) be working in my favor!