Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 21:27   #1

Boat: Sunbird 32
Help Identifying this 36 ft. sailboat hull and deck

Hi everyone,
A friend just boat this boat at a lien sale ..and I am trying to help him figure out just what it is that he bought!

It's a never built , hull and deck. It has internal ballast and bulkheads tabbed in.
The rudder is still brand new in the crate right lying next to the hull.

Approximately 36 ft. long. My buddy says Hans Christian …but I am not sure.

I'm attaching to pics of the boat and 1 of the hull number.

Hull number looks to me like: SYLMN007B292

Any help identifying her would be greatly appreciated. Quite a project. Eh?

thanks,
Jon
lazystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 21:46   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Help Identifying this 36 ft. sailboat hull and deck

Saga maybe? Or a Southern Cross 35'? Someone with the right connections could probably input that hull ID# & get some info on her for you. Like a boat broker, or similar. Maybe a surveyor. Spec's on beam & draft would help to ID her too. Even rough numbers on them. And you might peruse Bluewaterboats.org & sailboatdata.com as well.

Once you find out what she is, it sure would be worth tracking down as much info on her as you can. To include drawings, blueprints, rigging diagrams, sailplan, table of offsets, etc. Including how she should be trimmed out when afloat.

Have fun with this! And put some thought into your shop layout, so as to maximize productivity. Including a good thinking chair.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 21:56   #3

Thanks for the great tips. You just made me realize that there are a few folks I can call tomorrow to try and figure out the mystery! I'm not sure if I or my friend will take thus on …or possibly sell the kit …but I sure can envision beautiful things …as well as a TON of hard labor!
Old 20-02-2017, 22:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here ya go this is what I could find
HIN Search results:

Success! SYLMN007B292 is of the standard HIN type called Current-Format HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the Boat-Alert History for 9.99$ and consider Boat Insurance from the BoatU.S. Program.

SYL HIN Decoder

Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Current-Format HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is MN007 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (2) and a Model Year of 1992 with month of build (February) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is SYL. This MIC (SYL) stands for the company name Sylvan Marine which is currently In Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (SYL sometimes goes by these name(s) Smoker Craft Inc, , , or .

This company (Sylvan Marine) is owned by David Frey and is located at PO BOX 65 in NEW PARIS state of IN. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is SMOKER CRAFT, INC. (SMK). Sylvan Marine has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 08/03/1972 0:00.

Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.
Free HIN number Decoder for any Boat, Hull, or Vessel.
Old 20-02-2017, 22:12   #5

Thanks Newhaul! I saw this same thing last night…but ,it looks like Smoker Craft just makes runabouts and pontoon boats. I'll give them a call tomorrow …and see if they were ever in the sailboat business! Stay tend ….the saga will continue!
Old 20-02-2017, 22:13   #6

stay TUNED.
Old 20-02-2017, 23:12   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Just a tip for when you get to the mast building stage. Few boat owners ever gripe about having a mast that's too tall, with too much sail area. And plenty of boat owners & sailors keep thinking up new ways to add more. Including retrofitting new, taller spars at great expense. Well, unless they live in areas where it rarely blows less than 20kts. So keep this in mind when it's time to design her sail wardrobe. SADR = 20 is a decent number.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:33   #8

SLYMN007B292 came up as follows

The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Current-Format HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is MN007 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (2) and a Model Year of 1992 with month of build (February) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is SLY. This MIC (SLY) stands for the company name Slocum Yachts which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (SLY sometimes goes by these name(s) , , , or .

This company (Slocum Yachts) is owned by W Brown and is located at 17 WINFIELD AVE in HARRISON state of NY. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is (). Slocum Yachts has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 08/01/1988 0:00 and went out of business on (4/21/1992 12:00:00 AM) in the following country: .
woot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:35   #9

I called Sylvan marine / Smoker Craft this morning. They have absolutely no idea what this is. They've never made sailboats. I'm going to run by the coast guard station today …and see if they can help.
Old 21-02-2017, 08:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot17 View Post
SLYMN007B292 came up as follows...... (Slocum Yachts) is owned by W Brown and is located at 17 WINFIELD AVE in HARRISON state of NY.
You can see from the attached picture, the MIC is not "SLY", but rather "SYL".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:01   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It has a very Bingham- like look to it. Look on sailboatdata.com. It also looks very Taiwanish, maybe 2 piece hull glassed together. I once saw a nearly new boat with that construction being towed from a beach in Oxnard split in two and one side leaped 10 feet up the beach and the other just fell over. Pretty funny at the time because the guy who bought it from the insurance company was a real jerk.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:23   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazystar@aol.com View Post
Hi everyone,
A friend just boat this boat at a lien sale ..and I am trying to help him figure out just what it is that he bought!

It's a never built , hull and deck. It has internal ballast and bulkheads tabbed in.
The rudder is still brand new in the crate right lying next to the hull.

Approximately 36 ft. long. My buddy says Hans Christian …but I am not sure.

I'm attaching to pics of the boat and 1 of the hull number.

Hull number looks to me like: SYLMN007B292

Any help identifying her would be greatly appreciated. Quite a project. Eh?

thanks,
Jon
I don't know what she is but she is pretty. I hope the paper work is in order.

What is the first pic. of?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:19   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest it might be a Corbin 39. They were sold as kit boats, to be finished at home. So you can imagine, many remained unfinished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	141707  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

After looking at it are you sure you didnt get the hin a bit wrong it does look really close.to a slocum 43
SLOCUM 43 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 21-02-2017, 10:50   #15
rbk

Boat: T37

Cockpit looks like Stadell's Nassau 34. T cockpit with grated teak captains seat and cockpit engine access. Overall the boat looks looks similar with the exception of the bow cutout for the bowsprit. Union 36 is another possibility but the cockpit is all wrong
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, deck, hull, sail, sailboat