Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 13:42   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help! I have been given a sailboat and don't know what to do

Hello, Big Tree,

I'm thinking you're a very lucky man, one who is about to become handier than he used to be...by fixing up that sailboat. It doesn't look too bad, really.

It is common for stanchions to need re-bedding, and the guys here will tell you different ways to accomplish re-bedding them. It is a question of which sealant to use, and there are already threads about that. You can use the CF Custom Google Search, under the Search button to find threads about bedding stanchions, and lots of other stuff, as well. You'll learn, also by trial and error. Might as well accept the "leg up" that reading such threads will give you, eh?

Finally, welcome aboard CF, mate, and welcome, also, to the boys who are about to become sailors!

Ann
Old 14-03-2019, 13:47   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Also, there's Youtube. You can learn almost everything there.
Whereabouts in Washington are you?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtree View Post
Yay I was able to post a few pics above
Wow. I think you're one lucky guy. It shouldnt take too much effort to get her ready to launch.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:26   #19

Thank you all for the replies, what a pleasant surprise! JPA, thanks...really really encouraging. Senormechanico, your simple question (where in Washington am I) got me thinking I should expand upon that to give you all a little more context. So, here is my recent life story:

5 years ago I divorced my ex. Then I was laid off. However, luckily I was able to get a new job without missing a paycheck. I live in the greater Seattle area (and I can barely afford it). I took the small severance and bought a small wooded lot a short walk from Oakland Bay (Shelton, WA). At the time I was concerned about my kids' quality of life and wanted a place to take them. Long story short I had a tractor come in and clear it, put a bunch of gravel on it, then put a 4 post shelter on the "rock pit" with a big wood stove under it. Today we go there year round and sleep in the old wooden boat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Boat.jpg Views: 297 Size: 266.0 KB ID: 188009" style="margin: 2px" />

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelter6.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	188010

I plan to have the sailboat moored in Shelton WA. I am excited because the possibilities here are endless! For now I would like to get it in the water and moore it in Shelton. From there I would like to start learning, then maybe start taking them (my kids) on overnight trips in that area (South Puget Sound).

Sorry if this is hard to follow! I am spitting this out in the best interests of time. Hopefully this can give everyone some context as to why this is so important to me. Trying to show my kids how to overcome adversity!
Bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:43   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, again, Bigtree,

You'll want some "cabin sole", perhaps cut from a piece of plywood. It will need to be at least 1/2" thick, so as to support your weight. Maybe you can get some second hand, maybe trade for it? and measure twice, cut once. Some foam pads (you can cover them, yourself, even hand sew them....and so can your 8 yr. olds: they have adequate eye/hand coordination to sew covers, and the pride of accomplishment will stay with them a long time. [My kids did all the basting for a family backpacking tent I sewed up, so I'm basing this on our experience, and how cool my kids thought it was that we did it!]

Develop your scrounging instincts. Dumpster diving at posh marinas can be quite rewarding at times. e bay, craigslist, bulletin boards at markets, word of mouth.....

Ann
Old 14-03-2019, 14:49   #21

Thanks JPA, good ideas! I didn't know about cabin sole till now. Apparently the interior is supposed to be carpeted. In fact the old glue from the carpet is very evident. Also, my neighbor is a marine Upholstery guy! I'm so lucky. My kids and I will be able to sew our own pads in his little home shop. We just need to get a good deal on the fabric etc.
Old 14-03-2019, 14:57   #22

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Sorry if this is hard to follow! I am spitting this out in the best interests of time. Hopefully this can give everyone some context as to why this is so important to me. Trying to show my kids how to overcome adversity!
The "problem" with this idea is that they will likely see this as one of the most adventurous in their lives. It might not seem adversarial at all. You are also lucky to have double the helpers than many of us have on our boat projects. Make sure to understand exposure of the chemicals you might use and to get everyone proper PPE (e.g., gloves, safety goggles, etc). This is all really doable, too. Just list the work that needs to be done in discrete chunks so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. YouTube and forums like this can be your greatest friends...but also huge time sucks. But the great thing about most boat repairs is if they don't turn out right, you learn so much and do it all the better the next go round. Good luck!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 14:58   #23

Quote:
As you can see the front rail is broken. I know of a parts boat nearby that has a good one. Also, the duct tape on the rear has been removed since the pic was taken.
Hi Bigtree,

Looks like the rudder is off the boat. According to sailboatdata site it had a transom hung rudder. Not a bid deal to DIY or better yet find any compatible one at the boat junk yard. As long as it's bottom hangs above the keel bottom level.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/american-2627
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 15:00   #24

As I am tossing this around writing these posts, I think my biggest question is where should I start? What would make the biggest impact? The weather here in Seattle is finally warming up so pretty soon fiberglass repairs etc. will be possible. I suppose maybe anything would be a step in the right direction? I was going to start with removing and replacing the bent front railing. I am also installing some new rubrail around the whole thing.

Also, the boat came with a new alcohol stove. The stove is too big for the current placement so I will have to cut out the opening wider for it to fit in. Before I do that, is an alcohol stove safe? Some have said watch out because you can't see the flame.

Finally, I am close to getting someone who can do the basic 12 volt wiring for the front and rear lights. Hopefully for $200-$300 or so. Yay.
Old 14-03-2019, 15:01   #25

Thanks for the point about the keel, Island Time. Actually I have the keel and it is in great shape. I am keeping it out of the weather for now.
Old 14-03-2019, 15:02   #26

And thanks for the sailboat data information as well, very helpful! I can't find much of any information about this boat.
Old 14-03-2019, 15:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
The "problem" with this idea is that they will likely see this as one of the most adventurous in their lives. It might not seem adversarial at all. You are also lucky to have double the helpers than many of us have on our boat projects. Make sure to understand exposure of the chemicals you might use and to get everyone proper PPE (e.g., gloves, safety goggles, etc). This is all really doable, too. Just list the work that needs to be done in discrete chunks so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. YouTube and forums like this can be your greatest friends...but also huge time sucks. But the great thing about most boat repairs is if they don't turn out right, you learn so much and do it all the better the next go round. Good luck!
Second that!

My first boat was pretty much like OP's. Took me about a year to prep her for launch. Had her 4 seasons and the work I did on her helped me with all my future boats (4 more). Over a dozen years saved tens of thousands by DIY instead of turning her over to the yards to be fleeced.

Plus the kids will learn a bunch of valuable life lessons along the way.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 15:11   #28

So true, this (the kids inclusion) is the real opportunity to me. My Father was a car guy and always had projects. I love him but he was always too preoccupied with getting it done so I never got to really learn from him. It's easy to do! I will have to do a lot of planning and prep to make sure they can work with their hands too. Thanks to both of you!
Old 14-03-2019, 15:13   #29

Keel, lol. I meant I have the rudder inside out of the weather
Old 14-03-2019, 15:16   #30

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Welcome Bigtree,

you've come to the right place

the Don Casey book will really and truly help.

if you want a simplified overview of boat systems that is very easy to read (with pictures so you can share with the boys a bit), there is a book called Know Your Boat by David Kroenke. in the beginning, i read it twice and loved it.

when you feel overwhelmed, tell yourself the boat doesn't have to be perfect, but she does need to be safe. focus on the essentials and then enjoy!

wolfgal

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat