Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 04:10   #46

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: Help! I have been given a sailboat and don't know what to do

Before you get started, you might want to just sit down and make out a price list of what it will take to get this old boat going.

Right off the bat with that new Tohatsu outboard you are spending near $2500 and have yet to do anything as far as boat repairs.

Then you need to look at the sails. Sails can be bought for anywhere from $400 for a used main on up. Do you have life preservers, halyards, sheets, dock lines, lifelines, batteries, depth gauge, GPS, rigging, flares, whistle, fire extinguisher, ? etc. Then there's the trailer and licenses for both boat and trailer. Trailer hitch. Trailer lights, rims (are they rusted out?) etc. Is your vehicle able to pull the boat?

Then there's bottom paint. It's like $170/gallon plus the sander, sand paper, brushes, etc

In other words, it could take $5000 just to get it close to ready to use

You may want to take a look at this thread also. It's all about the good and bad of so called "free" boats.

FREE, or close to free!

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 07:23   #47

Good morning everyone!

To anyone I don't directly reply to, please know that your post was much appreciated and duly noted.

Thomm, thanks for summing up the situation for me. I was thinking even though the brand new engine is expensive, it provides me with a little safety and confidence. Also, I think it may be good to throw on the wooden boat as well so I can see myself putting it to good use. You're right, it's the "little things" that can end up costing you big time. I'm going to try (lol) to take the expense one chunk at a time. The boat and trailer are licensed and I have already had it towed to my back yard. Also, my neighbor just bought a truck that can tow it as well.

Speaking of my neighbor, I forgot to mention he has almost the exact same boat in about the same condition. They seem to know what they're doing so I'm trying to stick closely to them. Below is an old ad for both boats-they have the one on the right, I have the one on the left:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat advertisement.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	188053  

Bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 07:28   #48

As for the trailer, thanks for the recommendations. Especially the bearings! I'm sure it isn't in the best shape. Hopefully it will at least get us to the boat launch.

So, this Sunday after I return from Shelton I will get up there and remove that front rail. Now that the weather is getting better I need to hold myself accountable to this. Expect a report after I am done with that (I am assigning myself some tasks here lol).

Thanks again everyone, I am so happy to hear your opinions and that this is a good starter boat. Yes, I can see how important it is to contain costs and not get too emotionally involved in my first boat .
Old 15-03-2019, 09:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtree View Post
Finally, I am close to getting someone who can do the basic 12 volt wiring for the front and rear lights. Hopefully for $200-$300 or so. Yay.

I wouldn't pay anyone to wire up the lights on the front and rear - this is one of the most basic circuits around and you can certainly tackle that one with little effort and it might teach you something about boat electricity in case you need to fix something while you're away from a marina and other resources....

Just remember that you are creating a complete path for the electrons to flow - from the battery terminal, to the light and returning to the battery terminal and this will make the light glow.... add in a switch to control when the path is made and when the path is "broken" and you have everything in the circuit...

Here's what I'd do:
First setup all the rigging and everything while in the yard just like you would be setup to go sailing - then inspect everything - looking for broken or wore areas, areas that "just don't look right", fraying or wear in the sails, loose components/hardware, etc. Then get out the camera and paper/pen and start making a list and taking pics of things you need or things you have questions on if they are "ok" or not. Post up pics here or show them to folks at the marina or marine supply stores for opinions. Then prioritize the safety / security items and get those completed and take it out to the water and sit at the dock looking for leaks, then if all looks OK take it out for a short cruise around the area staying close to shore/trailer in case something breaks or leaks you can get back in quickly or find someone to tow you in if it "all goes bad"

Once you get that done then you can start to work on the cosmetics - just don't let the perfect pretty cosmetics detract from the goal of being able to get out and enjoy the time on the water with the family - you need to break up the work with the 'rewards' so that the kids stay motivated or even get more motivated to get things done once they see how fun it can be.

OH - and service the trailer bearings before towing it and check the tire age/trailer rating - it's amazing how many trailers I've bought that had the bearing grease was either extremely water contaminated or almost non-existent/dry. Tires - old car tires don't make good trailer tires - they are often under rated for the load or just don't hold up for highway use. Made a point to do bearing service first before heading out when on a trip with a friend towing his boat who never serviced his trailer bearings had a bearing self destruct and cut about 1/2 way through the axle before he noticed the wheel wobbling around and we were about 30 minutes from anywhere - made for an unwanted excess delay... Tires - If they aren't in great shape at least carry a spare or two.

EDIT - Again since you say you're on a budget (and who isn't) I'd agree with the above on not getting a new outboard - there are plenty of great older outboards that can be had for $50-300 if you look around - just change the impeller, clean the carb and use it. They'll be 2-strokes so you'll just need to mix up a can of gas/oil but they are about as basic and reliable as they come... Spend the money on getting out on the water and the other projects
bwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 09:54   #50

Boat: Tanzer 28

I was in the same situation as you 5 years ago. Watch all you-tube videos on "How to Sail", ..Don't spend any money or buy anything/ or hire anyone, till you get well into a state of understanding.. Don't buy ANYTHING!!!! Clean your boat (a pressure washer works great...car-wash)...put all the parts on her and see if anything expensive is missing...
Farmr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:06   #51

Boat: O'Day 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Run, do not walk, to Amazon, and order This Old Boat, Second Edition: Completely Revised and Expanded by Don Casey.

It will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about fixing up your boat. -

Another great resource for tips & techniques is marinehowto.com.

Both authors are active here on cruisers forum

Matt

I second this!!! Great resources, invaluable for my restoration of my O'Day 22...
kev
Msgt3227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:20   #52

Quote:
Thomm, thanks for summing up the situation for me. I was thinking even though the brand new engine is expensive, it provides me with a little safety and confidence. Also, I think it may be good to throw on the wooden boat as well so I can see myself putting it to good use. You're right, it's the "little things" that can end up costing you big time. I'm going to try (lol) to take the expense one chunk at a time. The boat and trailer are licensed and I have already had it towed to my back yard. Also, my neighbor just bought a truck that can tow it as well.
The new engine is a good idea for a little safety. I bought a new one for my "free" ($2,000) sailboat after the diesels failed. I wish I could have afforded new engines for all my power boats also that I owned as a teen and young adult. You may also need a new outboard bracket. I just replaced mine after 7 years. My 5 hp outboard wore it out. The new one was about $250

Many will tell you to get an old used outboard which is fine if you have lots of small motor repair experience. Remember though, the new ones are built to run on 10% ethanol. You just need to add stabilizer to the gas/fuel you plan not to use for a few months. I'm using the rest of last years gas now as my boat just got relaunch after being in the boatyard all Winter

Btw, my boat displaces 6600lbs and I push it with a 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury Outboard w/extra long 25" shaft but my first 5 sailboats didn't have engines

I did a bottom job on my boat when I bought it then started sailing it before doing much else just to see what I had. That was 8 years ago.

Then (2011) and now pictures. I think I've spent maybe $11,500 - $12,000 including the purchase price over those years. New mainsail, old diesel, new outboard, new dodger and mainsail cover, solar panels and controllers, autopilots, inverters, fans, bottom paint, topside paint, interior paint, halyards, (I just replaced the originals which were maybe 15 years old), topping lift, mainsheet, outboard bracket(s), Alps Mountaineering Sleeping Pads
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bristol 27 2011.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	188081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	188082  

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	188083   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27 Bottom 2019.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	188084  

Name:	B27 Bracket.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	188085  
Old 15-03-2019, 10:27   #53

Boat: Tartan 27-2

I have to second most of the comments. I would clean everything so you can see the actual state of all the pieces. Then do the research as everyone has mentioned. Safety first! There probably is a sailing club in your area. Many are very inexpensive, and you meet all kinds of wonderful and helpful people. Some idiots too, but that goes with anything. I remember being on my fathers boats many years ago growing up. Those became some of the most important times in my life. I am trying to do the do the same with the grandkids. Sailing is such a wonderful experience, and very good for life lessons, self reliance, and many other things not taught elsewhere. Can't beat it. Looks like you have a very worthy chariot for your future adventures, good luck!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 10:58   #54

Since the boat is fiberglass, the first thing is to empty everything out of it so you can inspect the entire hull from the inside. Look for staining, abrasions and cracks. What can be cleaned, clean it. Paint it if you want to really make a good job look great.

Next, take all the running rigging off and put it in a pail of hot water and Dawn. Rinse thoroughly.

Since the mast is off, inspect it carefully. Look for corrosion, loose rivets and bolts, and if the shivs (pulleys) are seized, wobbly or corroded.

Look at your standing rigging. Look for broken wires, rusted swages (the tubes the wires are pressed into), and overall corrosion.

Now crawl under the boat and look carefully for any cracks, major abrasions or dings. Since you will be keeping it in a berth, you will need a good bottom paint. This means readying the hull; sanding, priming if needed, possible blister job. The paint is the most expensive part of that.

Personally, I would take it off the trailer and put it on proper blocks, the kind that you can shift to fully paint the hull.

Now lay the sails out on the lawn. Look for holes, patching or missing hanks. Measure them. If they need patching or replacing, you can get a great deal on good used sails at a number of sites. Also, companies like Hasse Sailmaker in Port Townsend are miracle workers when it comes to modifying sails, or giving you advice about the ones you have.

Otherwise, the issues on this boat seem minimal, and I'm sure you will be creating an amazing opportunity for adventure, family closeness and creating value your twins.

Please keep us apprised.

ADDITION: If you will be berthing your boat, since you won't be living on it, I suggest you stay away from shore power, and install a couple smaller solar panels to keep your battery(s) topped up.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:08   #55

Boat: Pearson 30

I would look for a marine consignment store in your area for things you need to keep your costs down. ( https://secondwaveattheboatyard.com/ ) Some sail lofts might have used sails cheap if you need any sails.
I would do a inspection and repack of trailer bearings, and give a good look at the springs and hangers. Make sure your outboard mount can handle the weight and loads of a 10 hp four stroke. I went with a Panther 55-4016 on my MacGregor 25, putting a full size backing plate on the inside. It's a bit of overkill but I never have to worry. I never trailer the boat with the outboard mounted. Sounds like a fun boat.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:09   #56

Quote:
......I think it may be good to throw on the wooden boat as well so I can see
Are you sure this is a wooden boat? Specs say it is fiberglass.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/american-2627
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:10   #57

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

if the goal is a barebones boat to enjoy with your kids it can be done pretty cheaply and every skill you may need is explained in great detail somewhere on the internet. Searches on craigslist, or even posting a list of stuff you need on craigslist, will yield a ton of stuff, sometimes not exactly what you want, but good enough to be safe and happy afloat. good luck
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:15   #58

I haven't noticed anyone talking about delamination. take the BACK end of a screw driver and tap the deck, hull ( especially around the chain plates and rudder gudegons ) and bulkheads. Listen for the sound the screwdriver makes when you tap it. If you get a dull thud, you have delamination and that area will need repair. Check any through hulls and make sure they show no sign of leaking and all valves work. Otherwise just caulk any leaks and go sailing. I'm with others on getting a used engine until you know if you'll like sailing. The kids will love it. It's a great family bonding experience. Try it and if you like it you can worry about the cosmetics at your convenience.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 11:16   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Are you sure this is a wooden boat? Specs say it is fiberglass.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/american-2627
That's his power boat. He posted a picture above.
Old 15-03-2019, 12:03   #60

Hello again folks! Amazing advice, it will take time to soak in but I know this is exactly what I need to get my head in the right place. This will be fun!

Someone got my two boats confused. I have a 1950s wooden boat I am posting here that is now off to the side because of the fiberglass sailboat, which is what this thread is about. This pic was right after I put a 4th coat of varnish on her--"Fish Wish" is her name. My kids and I sleep in this boat when we go down to our wooded lot on the weekends.

Thanks again to everyone who took time out of their day to type out these posts! I will be reading, taking notes, and re-reading every spare minute I get. I am beginning to feel a little less lost already!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fish Wish.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	188100  

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat